Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Boredom: A New Problem For Your Dwarves.  (Read 1274 times)

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
Boredom: A New Problem For Your Dwarves.
« on: March 15, 2011, 09:37:52 am »

I noticed something:

What do the dwarves do for entertainment? In my previous fortress, I designated my dining hall as a meeting hall, and my dwarves when on break hung around it seemingly doing nothing. Maybe they were chatting, but they would get boring after a while. I decided to show what dwarves would do when they get bored. In my mind, dwarves would eventually go mad without entertainment, some quicker then others. So, you gotta do one of these.

• Chatting: The Dwarves who go to wherever is the meeting hall (The Wagon or the dining room) with the most friendly person following them. They will talk about a random topic such as "War" "Rumors" and "Recent Deaths". They will list themselves as "Chatting with (Insert Dwarf Here) about (Topic)" in the jobs section. This doesn't do much for your mood.
  • Gambling: The Dwarves automatically bring a pair of dice with them when they embark. You can make any collection of blocks into dice. Dwarves will roll dice and bet on the results of the dice. When you looked at the dice, it would say what dwarf is betting on the result, like this: "Pair Of Dice. Urist McCarpenter bets that the dice will roll on 4. Urist McMason bets that the dice will roll on 2." If that dwarf loses, he gets the negative moodlet "Recently lost a bet.". If that dwarf wins, he gets the positive moodlet "Recently won a bet.".
  • Singing: This can be done while working. They will sing about a topic they are doing or have recently done, like so: "Urist McMiner is singing about mining". This can irritate your dwarves (Recently heard awful singing) or inspire them (Was inspired by angelic singing) depending on the musicality of the dwarf in question. The dwarf singing, however, will always like singing.
  • Jokes: A dwarf can meet up with some friends and tell them a joke. This can be poking fun at person they have a grudge with (Urist McJokey is telling a joke about Urist McGrudge) or maybe just something that has been bothering the fortress lately (Urist McJokeyBoatmurdered is telling a joke about Elephants) and depending on social skills, this joke can be taken well and cause a postive moodlet or cause a grudge. Particularly good jokes can be told again to different people.

So, what do you think? Do you have any additions?

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Boredom: A New Problem For Your Dwarves.
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 10:17:16 am »

Boredom has been discussed in depth several times before with different ideas. So I would hardly call it a 'new problem'

Personally, I like the ideas you proposed, I just don' like how you are proposing that it is implemented. For example, gambling, dwarves should gamble with dice on tables, dice could be carved out of ivory. However, It seems like a waste of computer power to calculate every individual dwarf's guess and the  result of the dice. It's much easier to say Urist McBroke has a 1/5 chance of winning and calculate that.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 10:33:51 am »

Boredom has been discussed in depth several times before with different ideas. So I would hardly call it a 'new problem'

Personally, I like the ideas you proposed, I just don' like how you are proposing that it is implemented. For example, gambling, dwarves should gamble with dice on tables, dice could be carved out of ivory. However, It seems like a waste of computer power to calculate every individual dwarf's guess and the  result of the dice. It's much easier to say Urist McBroke has a 1/5 chance of winning and calculate that.

Hmm. You make a good point. I guess my way is a bit too hard on computers. Now, what's wrong with the others?

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 10:40:50 am »

Personally, I like the ideas you proposed, I just don' like how you are proposing that it is implemented. For example, gambling, dwarves should gamble with dice on tables, dice could be carved out of ivory. However, It seems like a waste of computer power to calculate every individual dwarf's guess and the  result of the dice. It's much easier to say Urist McBroke has a 1/6 chance of winning and calculate that.

Fixed that for you, my nerdiness could not let you get away with a 5 sided dice.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 10:51:36 am »

Personally, I like the ideas you proposed, I just don' like how you are proposing that it is implemented. For example, gambling, dwarves should gamble with dice on tables, dice could be carved out of ivory. However, It seems like a waste of computer power to calculate every individual dwarf's guess and the  result of the dice. It's much easier to say Urist McBroke has a 1/6 chance of winning and calculate that.

Fixed that for you, my nerdiness could not let you get away with a 5 sided dice.

Not even an artifact 5 sided dice forged out of adamantine in the infernal heat of a magma forge and decorated with numbers of carved elf bone?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 10:55:29 am »

Not even an artifact 5 sided dice forged out of adamantine in the infernal heat of a magma forge and decorated with numbers of carved elf bone?

No one would gamble with it though, cause SCIENCE wouldn't allow it to be fair.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 11:01:44 am »

No one would gamble with it though, cause SCIENCE wouldn't allow it to be fair.

Maybe not, but they'd be great fun (or should that be !!FUN!!) to make!
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 11:50:42 am »

Class Warfare and the Pursuit of Happiness was my big thread on this topic.

Having games and high quality goods and such requires a reworking of the personality system and much of the social structure to make things like that make sense.  I really need to go back and rewrite all this stuff, though...

As for dice with a 1/5 chance of winning, there are two possible ways to make them - first, you create a ten-sided die with duplicate numbers, which is the easy way.  The harder way is to make a pentagonal die that has tapered-off edges, so that it looks elliptical from the side.  If it lands on the rounded edges, it will have to fall back onto one of the flat sides.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

MisterLich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 01:47:44 pm »

I really, really like the singing idea.  It seems to fit.  If personal possessions were implemented I'd like to see gambling dorfs gamble for each others stuff or whatever, if you implement and economy then gambling for coin.  The joke stuff would make use of the comedian skill, such as musicality for the singing.

I like all of it, but I really like the singing about [topic] idea.  It'd be like engraving, but the dwarf is actively thinking about it.

Urist McDwarf is singing about cheese, Urist McDwarf is singing about Goblins, Urist McDwarf is singing about a goblin eating cheese.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 03:46:55 pm »

Personally I'd rather dwarves actually used the odd goods you produce for entertainment.

Particularly instruments/toys/mugs(:)) and any assorted goods.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 05:00:25 pm »

Well I left it at five because it's a lower number. I could have easily said two or sixteen. But 5 seems to leave enough room for potential fun and let's the dwarf have a better chance then winning. Since the player wouldn't see the actual calculations, I didn't see a problem in having it be slightly lower to improve the dwarf's odds.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:08:26 pm by IT 000 »

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 05:49:00 pm »

This is related to Bloat36.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos