Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Version Numbers.  (Read 2144 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Version Numbers.
« on: February 13, 2008, 05:48:00 pm »

How does Toady pick the version number?  Does it correspond to changes?  Do the numbers closer to the decimal point represent larger changes?  How many figures are significant?  What's the average yearly rainfall in the Smooth Points of Pride?  How many more questions will I ask?
Shoes...

Jifodus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Lurker
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress Projects
Re: Version Numbers.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2008, 05:54:00 pm »

Someone figured this out before.

[0 because it's still alpha].[Core Components Completed].[Required Components Completed].[Bloat Components Completed][a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/etc. bug fix version]

Or approximately that (order might be different).

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 06:00:00 pm »

Interesting...
Shoes...

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 05:35:00 pm »

The average rainfall of the smooth points is 2400 mm.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 05:57:00 pm »

« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 09:54:26 pm by penguinofhonor »

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 06:55:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by penguinofhonor:
<STRONG>If you cut a starfish's leg off, the starfish will grow a new leg and the leg will grow a new starfish.</STRONG>

Really?

Edit:  Might as well join in.  There is a fern that has over one thousand chromosomes compared to a humans 46.

Also, the magnetic north pole is moving, and scientists are able to use rocks sensitive to magnetism to pinpoint the time when the rock was created, by looking at the alignment of crystals inside of that rock and corresponding it to the time when the north pole was in that direction.  In fact, the magnetic "North Pole" has switched completely a few times to the south pole, then back north again.

[ February 14, 2008: Message edited by: Puzzlemaker ]

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2008, 07:17:00 pm »

I'm pretty sure a starfish leg will not grow into a new starfish, you're thinking of planaria.  While we're on small marine life, if a hydra is turned inside out, it will not only survive, but turn itself right-side-out.
Shoes...

Solara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2008, 07:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Muffles:
<STRONG>I'm pretty sure a starfish leg will not grow into a new starfish</STRONG>

Wikipedia says they can, but you know, it's Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt...

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2008, 08:04:00 pm »

It depends of the species of starfish, some have better regeneration than others.

Flatworms beat the crap out'a all of them.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Tyrving

• Bay Watcher
  • Forum Poster/Dabbling Troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

Ooh, mind if I join?

Water bears are fully capable of surviving temperatures ranging from almost absolute zero to upwards of 151°C (303°F), can go without water for nearly a decade, and can even survive in the vacuum of space.

Bricktop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 08:30:00 pm »

quote:
Also, the magnetic north pole is moving, and scientists are able to use rocks sensitive to magnetism to pinpoint the time when the rock was created, by looking at the alignment of crystals inside of that rock and corresponding it to the time when the north pole was in that direction. In fact, the magnetic "North Pole" has switched completely a few times to the south pole, then back north again.

The crystals also get set to the Magnetic North whenever the rock is heated. The same happens when pottery is fired. Also, hitting a long of metal hard will make some of the crystals allign to the magnetic north.

(Something tells me this topic needs to be renamed to "A collection of Mildly interesting facts: Did you know?"

[ February 14, 2008: Message edited by: Bricktop ]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »

Bismuth was discovered to be radioactive in 2003, and has a half-life of approximately 19 quintillion years.
Shoes...

Fenrir

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2008, 08:35:00 pm »

"Gandalf" (as in the LoTR wizard) is Old Norse for "staff elf", and is listed in the Poetic Edda as the name of a dwarf! (It's more evidence that they are truly black elves!   :p )

[ February 14, 2008: Message edited by: Fenrir ]

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2008, 08:41:00 pm »

A blue whale's aorta can hold a medium-sized dog.

A cockroach can live for a week without its head.

"Piltdown Man", a transitional human form recreated from a tooth, was later discovered to be a modern pig.

HP Lovecraft's father went violently insane while on a business trip.  It is believed he suffered from syphilis.

The Challenger Deep, in the Marianas Trench, is the lowest point on Earth.

Mount Everest is not the tallest mountain in the world.  That honor goes to the mountains of Kadath, near the Leng Plateau in Antarctica.

Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2008, 08:45:00 pm »

Pitfall was the first game to simulate true survival in an Amazon forest.
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.
Pages: [1] 2 3