Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 10 years for selling $31 of Cannabis  (Read 2727 times)

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 10 years for selling $31 of Cannabis
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 09:00:53 am »

How is it endangerment unless the crime somehow puts the child in danger? Wouldn't throwing their mother in jail for 10 years pose MORE of a danger to the children even if it were, somehow, so?

*confused*
The problem is, if you're selling drugs, the person you're selling to might not actually want to pay for it. Or might (violently) disargree with the price and whatnot.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 09:19:47 am »

Isn't this true of selling anything? I mean, say you're selling something over craigslist or something?

Don't get me wrong, I can see how a situation that involves selling drugs could endanger the child, but I don't see how it would constitue child endangerment in and of itself.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2011, 10:12:04 am »

... In general?  No.  There's a way you could die while eating your morning cheerios, but we just worry about things that have been historically known to cause problems.  Like drug-dealing.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2011, 10:30:41 am »

Prisons are very profitable in the US and have strong lobby groups attached, which is probably why you still see ridiculous things like this happening.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2011, 10:35:21 am »

Prisons are very profitable in the US and have strong lobby groups attached, which is probably why you still see ridiculous things like this happening.
Considering that its the taxpayers that foots the expenses and pays the profits.  What incentive is there to stop such a good deal?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2011, 10:43:49 am »

Isn't this true of selling anything? I mean, say you're selling something over craigslist or something?

Don't get me wrong, I can see how a situation that involves selling drugs could endanger the child, but I don't see how it would constitue child endangerment in and of itself.

Other than raising your kids in a criminal environment?  Teaching your kids that it's okay to sell drugs?
Shoes...

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2011, 10:50:35 am »

Other than raising your kids in a criminal environment?  Teaching your kids that it's okay to sell drugs?

My parents chain smoked for my entire childhood, but that didn't teach me it was good to smoke.  If anything I was probably more aware of the risks.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2011, 11:02:54 am »

I'm not sure how being raised by a smoker is more than slightly similar to being raised by a drug-dealer, but okay.
Shoes...

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2011, 11:09:45 am »

Considering that its the taxpayers that foots the expenses and pays the profits.  What incentive is there to stop such a good deal?
Nothing, they actually found out a judge for basically sending kids to prison for no reason who was getting payed a cut by some prison to do so.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 11:12:45 am »

I'm not sure how being raised by a smoker is more than slightly similar to being raised by a drug-dealer, but okay.

Most people I've known who deal in cannabis are pretty normal people.  There is a pretty big gap between somebody selling a bit of weed and someone selling heroin in my mind.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 03:52:19 pm »

... In general?  No.  There's a way you could die while eating your morning cheerios, but we just worry about things that have been historically known to cause problems.  Like drug-dealing.
Which is only more dangerous than eating your morning cheerios because of the absurdly violent stance the law takes against drug-dealing, relegating it to the black market, which is by nature dangerous. This would be the same law that's sending this poor woman away for ten years, so I say what I've always said about the War on Drugs: Fail Law is Fail.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2011, 05:15:32 pm »

I don't know enough about the war on drugs to address your point.  I'm not here to argue, dude, just to explain why she'd be sent to jail.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2011, 06:29:43 pm »

I specifically wasn't trying to argue with you, just to make a point about this whole situation using your comment as a jumping off point.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2011, 06:47:30 pm »

My parents chain smoked for my entire childhood, but that didn't teach me it was good to smoke.  If anything I was probably more aware of the risks.

Unfortunately, that cannot be said for all children raised like this. A lot of kids, I expect, would follow their parents.

With children in this environment, especially if they wanted to, they'd find it much easier to gain access.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2011, 08:24:46 pm »

I specifically wasn't trying to argue with you, just to make a point about this whole situation using your comment as a jumping off point.

Ah, okay.  Thanks for letting me know =)

Pages: 1 [2] 3