Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 10 years for selling $31 of Cannabis  (Read 2720 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: 10 years for selling $31 of Cannabis
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 09:07:34 pm »

I don't know why making an example of her would be so important.  As if there's any shortage of similar examples locked away.

It's nothing but business as usual.  There's an outrageous example of usually drug-related disproportionate sentencing in America almost every day.  Some just happen to get more attention than others, usually because a major outlet needs some material for the day and manages to invent a catchy headline.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 11:30:36 pm »

How is it endangerment unless the crime somehow puts the child in danger? Wouldn't throwing their mother in jail for 10 years pose MORE of a danger to the children even if it were, somehow, so?

*confused*
Anti-Death sentence argument: Why do people kill people who kill people to show killing people is wrong.

You seeing the parallels?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 12:02:17 am »

Yeah, if the parallel were "You attempted to murder this guy, so we're going to finish the job and put you in jail to show how bad it was". :P

We're talking from the prospective of the supposed "victim" here.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2011, 12:10:04 am »

How is it endangerment unless the crime somehow puts the child in danger? Wouldn't throwing their mother in jail for 10 years pose MORE of a danger to the children even if it were, somehow, so?

*confused*
Anti-Death sentence argument: Why do people kill people who kill people to show killing people is wrong.

You seeing the parallels?

Ah, the death sentence.
Well, in my opinion, it is flawed on at least one major level. That is that it is a punishment. Confused? The law shouldn't be about punishing people who do the wrong thing, it should be about stopping people from doing it, as such when somebody has a problem with the law, we try to correct this behaviour. Forcing them to understand disincentives is a great way to do this. So you understand that if you speed, you will get a ticket, and so you drive carefully, on a simplistic level. That is why gaols (Jails to you Americans) are called 'correctional facilitys' these days.

Killing somebody, however, does not give them a chance to learn there lesson.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2011, 12:14:43 am »

Killing somebody, however, does not give them a chance to learn there lesson.

I tend to think they learn their lesson very quickly.  It probably goes something like this.

"Oh fuck, oh fuck I'm going to die.  Damnit why did I do that?  Oh hell, they are injecting me now, this is it.  Damn it!".  :(

Edit:  I agree with you though, the death sentence seems pointless to me.  :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 12:17:46 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2011, 12:16:06 am »

I never saw it that way before... KILL THEM ALL!!!!

Zesty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2011, 10:09:29 am »

I don't understand the article. It starts off explaining what an injustice the arrest was, but then it spends the majority of the article describing such a luxurious prison.
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad coelum et ad inferos

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 10:30:42 am »

Was there a point to that article? All they did was ramble on about how her prison life will suck. If they were trying to say the punishment doesn't fit the crime... well they forgot to.

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 02:16:52 pm »

That prison sounds better than my time in military school.

Anyway, I'm surprised that no one has really gotten into how ridiculous the criminalization of marijuana is in the first place. The fact that ANY percentage of my taxes goes to these "drug wars" infuriates me.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2011, 05:16:59 pm »

Anyway, I'm surprised that no one has really gotten into how ridiculous the criminalization of marijuana is in the first place. The fact that ANY percentage of my taxes goes to these "drug wars" infuriates me.

Cool, I will let the Crips know that.  They will be buy your place for the money instead.  Hopefully before the Machete's do.
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2009/04/the_machetes_of.php  (check this gang out, they are truly terrifying adn completely nuts).
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

CoughDrop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2011, 05:29:36 pm »

Cool, I will let the Crips know that.  They will be buy your place for the money instead.  Hopefully before the Machete's do.
http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2009/04/the_machetes_of.php  (check this gang out, they are truly terrifying adn completely nuts).

Doing drug busts may demoralize certain people out of the ring, but its effects are far from fully diminishing the criminal aspect of drugs. What happens when you don't need to see drug dealers because the drug you want is legal and easily obtainable? I think Portugal has the right idea.
"It's one thing to feel that you are on the right path, but it's another to think yours is the only path."
Pages: 1 2 [3]