Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 10 years for selling $31 of Cannabis  (Read 2723 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
10 years for selling $31 of Cannabis
« on: March 15, 2011, 02:53:42 am »

http://www.oklahomawatch.org/story.php?sid=26

That's messed up beyond words.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 10 years for selling $31 of Cannabis
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2011, 02:56:09 am »

Ok, I just skimmed the article, but the thing that's bothering me the most about this...

Who sells $31 worth of marijauna?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2011, 03:00:00 am »

Haggling.
It's actually 35 dollars worth or something.

Meanwhile, having also skimmed the article, I saw two things that really stuck out: toothbrush and razor.
What.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2011, 03:00:15 am »

*please delete post, I misread the topic as '10 year olds selling Cannabis''*
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:23:05 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2011, 03:00:36 am »

It is rather messed up, for a lot of reasons.

The law is the law, and if you break it, you should be punished, this much is true. However, the measure of the crime is important in the scale of the punishment. That's why we give out parking tickets for taking the one hour spot for fifteen minutes longer then allowed, rather then just give the death sentence to anybody that breaks any law. We do this because it encourages people to limit their law breaking. If a 'light' drug dealer is going to get the same punishment as a 'heavy' one, they might as well sell all they can!

Ok, so chances are this woman sold more then $31 worth in her life, and it is only this one she got caught for, but does the punishment really fit the crime?

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2011, 03:02:48 am »

I understand man, that sentence is MUCH to lenient. She should get life or a death sentence for it!
Hello Hunam

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2011, 03:07:36 am »

I understand man, that sentence is MUCH to lenient. She should get life or a death sentence for it!
Cannabis: This is no greater crime.

If the prisons are full of murders and rapists, I say let one out to make room for any drug dealers out there!

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2011, 03:21:26 am »

Isn't there some sort of law concerning amount held on a person? Selling's a more serious crime than possession, but... $31? That's absurd. Obviously this poor guy is being used to make an example of.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2011, 03:23:16 am »

It's gal, sir. Also examples work, because people pay attention to them. You people's outrage on the matter is just making those who sentenced her's message out.
Hello Hunam

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 03:26:50 am »

Actually looking at that article it seems like there were extra circumstances that made the crime a bit more harsh.

Though an article about someone being sentenced for selling 31 dollars worth of drugs is a LOT more eyecatching then for example "Woman sells drugs to minors"

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 03:47:28 am »

Neonivek I'm not sure if you meant to imply she was caught selling drugs to children but, from reading that article alone, I have to say you are incorrect. She was caught selling drugs to an "informant" with her children present and they don't specify the age of the informant. Maybe it's more illegal to commit crimes with minors present in that state, that seems a little odd, though.

Ten years seems a long time for both a first time offender and such a low value deal. Making an example of her is one possibility, as has been mentioned, but then she has children who are needlessly being punished too. I'm not sure it's worth the money to send this woman to prison.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 04:16:55 am »

Neonivek I'm not sure if you meant to imply she was caught selling drugs to children

I didn't.

At least I HOPE I didn't... My mind has made some oddly silly mistakes before.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 05:00:29 am »

Maybe it's more illegal to commit crimes with minors present in that state, that seems a little odd, though.

That would be because it constitutes child endangerment.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 05:20:16 am »

That's probably what got her.

I know this isn't much of a consolation for her, but I can think of a few people who would punch a cop if it got them sent to that prison.
Shoes...

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 08:55:29 am »

How is it endangerment unless the crime somehow puts the child in danger? Wouldn't throwing their mother in jail for 10 years pose MORE of a danger to the children even if it were, somehow, so?

*confused*
Pages: [1] 2 3