Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Does biome type influence cavern vegetation?  (Read 766 times)

Blue_J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Does biome type influence cavern vegetation?
« on: March 14, 2011, 06:08:26 pm »

Hi all.

I've been combing though the wiki and forum archives, and while I've seen this issue hinted at, I haven't gotten a clear answer as to whether or not the type of biome influences the density of plants and underground trees that grow in caverns/on muddied rock. Will embarks with thick forests get lots of underground trees, glaciers none, etc?

I'm asking because I've wrapping up my current fortress in a pretty easy wooded area in 0.31.18, and I'd like to try something a little more challenging for my next embark in 0.31.21 like a savage desert or haunted tundra. The plan was to carve out and flood a tree farm level or two once I breach the first cavern, so that by the time the fortress is more mature I have a respectable supply of wood even though I can't get any from the surface - but I'd like to know if this will work well in a low-vegetation biome before I put in the time to find out by trial and error.   

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Does biome type influence cavern vegetation?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 06:12:57 pm »

Evil biomes will sometimes make the cavern critters undead too. Other than that caverns are everywhere and pretty much all the same. A nice subterranean forest biome with a little bit more danger.