Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: If we had magic then I want these spells  (Read 3545 times)

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If we had magic then I want these spells
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2011, 05:41:09 pm »

Nah, I'd rather have teleporting their aortas and brains out of their bodies than fireballs.

I want EVERY GODDAMN SPELL FROM ARMOK 1!

Sunday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2011, 05:49:18 pm »

Well... while evocation spells (Fireball, Lightning Bolt, etc) are cool, Transmutation spells (spells that change an object or creature into another) are more fitting to dwarves and would most likely require more thought from the player. And are even cooler.

Rune-engraved catapult ammo that transforms into magma when it touches the ground, or a magic trap corridor that changes stone into magma/soil into water when enemies walk on it ? Yes. Sand into water ? Yes. Lead into gold ? Of course. Or super, temporary battle shapeshifting for dwarves. Legendary metalsmith wearing all bronze equipment into bronze colossus or legendary ranger wearing dragon leather into dragon ? HELL YEAH !

And magic artifacts, of course.

You know what I want?

"Lead into gold. Horses into gold. Immortal life. Giving ghosts a restored body. Frag trolls. Trolls into gold. etcetera."

(sorry, first thing that came to mind).

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2011, 08:36:18 pm »

Or a bucket could be always full of water and never need refilling.

This needs to be done. If only so that some poor sod can drown his fort by knocking the damn thing over.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

dwarf_sadist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2011, 11:21:50 pm »

I have two suggestions:

1) Make the magic have a certain risk or fun factor, to add a bit of randomness. In this respect, magic can be similar to Ars Magica, an RP game. The spells would be medieval style, manipulating medieval ideals and physics. There would be no "create intense light that burns the retina" (since no one knew what a retina was in 1400ad), instead it would be more along the lines of "create bright light that scares away monsters".

No spell would be a mundane spell, and each spell could do significant damage (or whatever effect it does). However, there will always be a trade-off and an 'oops' factor. The trade-off is always there and it's effect on the caster is dependent on the power of the spell, sometimes being as benign as "Urist McCaster's hands are black and blistered" from casting too many fireballs. Healing spells would age the caster faster, puberty spells would cause the caster to grow more hair, tantrum fits with calming spells, etc.

Oops factor would be that slight chance that everything blows up in your face. It could be the spell just doesn't cast, the spell casts but has a negative effect, the spell fails and you think it's working (think fire walking spells), the spell hurts the caster, the spell does something completely random like spawns bloodthirsty rabbits, etc, etc. That way, even though spells are powerful, there is always that chance your healing spell will cause tiny green chest hairs to sprout all over the injured dwarf's split lip, suffocating him.

2) Make the magic system completely regent based, with only creatures, monsters and demons having access to magic in itself. The creatures would have to be captured and harvested of their "magic" organs by a shaman, then either grounded and mixed by an alchemist, imbued into weapons by an evoker or made by a moody dwarf into a floating bed.

The first thing you would have to do is locate a creature with a magic organ you want. Ex: a Medusa that can turn a dwarf into stone. You then have to capture or kill the creature to harvest the organ, without damaging the organ. You could then mix the regent with another substance or regent. Ex: mix a Medusa head with some adamantine thread, and the next thing that views the head turns into a wall of adamantine.

Using captured goblins and a series of trap mechanisms could also create creative gathering methods. Ex 2: Manticore shoots darts that instant kill dwarves. Manticore is locked in a small room with only one window to shoot out of. Use trap door to drop goblin prisoner right in front of the window. Manticore shoots goblin full of holes. Another trap door opens and drops goblin body out of Manticores shooting arc, where dwarves can pull Manticore darts out of goblin corpse.
Critical hit! It's super effective!

"You scratch the Giant Tiger in the Upper Body, tearing the muscle, shattering the right false rib and tearing apart the heart! An artery has been opened by the attack! A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack! A tendon in the false right rib has been torn!"

harborpirate

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels eat: job item lost or destroyed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2011, 02:09:50 am »

Some great suggestions in here! I'm all for any of the things mentioned that aren't included in your run-of-the-mill RPG.

I'm a huge fan of DF magic being mostly effect-based, and if its difficult to detect and has unintended consequences, even better. Waparius' "wandering wizard" post had a number of fantastic examples of that concept. I love the idea that in this game, plagues, famines, and the like could be not just blamed on magic, but authentically caused by it. I love the whole "the legends are real" aspect to the game and anything that pumps that up is a positive in my book.

I think the only reliably controllable magic should be the kind of stuff dwarf_sadist just mentioned, that you kill or capture a magical creature and use it to your advantage. That seems very dwarfy to me.

Dwarves running around casting fireball? No thanks. If you want that you can play the other 10 million RPGs out there. I do agree with Evil One though, that magic should be moddable and if someone wants to make a boring D&D clone, they should be able to do that.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2011, 03:08:12 am »

Magic should definately be a resource.  Something you dig up, or perhaps even extract from other pieces of magical goblinite.

Jiharo

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2011, 03:38:31 am »

Random and not original thoughts:

Whatever magic there would be it should be extremely rare and pricy. Perhaps, an arm and a leg, literally. I like the idea of demonic/divine magic where to gain assistance you would need to follow rules of agreement ranging from "Never drink alcohol" to "Sacrifice black-haired child every new moon."

Also evil wizards make for a good villain figure. Let them use their magic to cause droughts and famine, raise undead, create new cadaverous species. If we don't give adventurers and dwarves access to these powers it will still look mysterious enough not to break immersion.

Rarity can make amends for even cliched things, I think.
Burning sword or wand spewing fireballs may look boring if it is sold in shops along with usual weapons or has a good chance of being made by one of your mooding dwarves every year. But if there is only one in all creation and to find it, you have to collect dozens of fragments of contradicting ancient chronicles and rumors, travel across half the world and fight through horrible creatures or to storm the most well defended royal treasury in the world it looks more interesting. And then you find out that this sword may be used only three times in character's life or that it was made by god who opposes greed and deprives you of it's power because of your persistance in acquiring it.

Fake edit: if you want magic as resource you can mod it in right now as stone that can through custom reactions be changed into any other stone or into masterful steel swords. Not very fun, though.
All your goblin bone bolts, suddenly rising up in vengeance...
I wonder ... is it smart amunition or dumb amunition?

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2011, 06:12:31 am »

100% agree with you Jiharo. It would also make for better stories in Legends mode.
Adentures traveling through the hells and back to bring back a single artifact of great power would be great to see. Seeing warlocks deal with demons to gain power, seeing "donations" to night creatures ... great stuff.

Quote from: Minsc
Camaraderie, adventure, and steel on steel. The stuff of legends! Right Boo?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2011, 06:15:21 am »

I don't know

When we had magic in real life... it was everywhere.

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2011, 07:18:33 am »

I don't know

As I recall, we quite literally killed it with fire... and rocks, swords, axes, holly, mirrors, holy symbols, ponds, branding irons and our bare hands.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2011, 07:30:31 am »

I don't know

As I recall, we quite literally killed it with fire... and rocks, swords, axes, holly, mirrors, holy symbols, ponds, branding irons and our bare hands.

We also used a ton of magic to do so.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2011, 11:14:13 am »

This is the worst possible thread. Please just let it die.

It is the embodiment of everything this thread made fun of:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=26883.msg320672#msg320672
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2011, 11:27:08 am »

Actually yeah, if one reads the Toady's interviews or whatever they're called, he's definately said it wasn't going that direction anyways.
Pages: 1 2 [3]