Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Obama administration kicks his own guy for saying turture is bad, m'kay?  (Read 9568 times)

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile

Whatever my objections with Obama's management (and I certainly have a lot of them), not only do I still align with him more than almost any realistically conceivable opponent, but he's not the only guy running.  With him rides a good chunk of the Congress, and down-ticket races for state offices.

I single this out because, to me, I think this is exactly what Obama's thinking was, relative to his station, on torture.

I think Obama quickly learned that a) Republicans get another talking point that sticks in the minds of Americans when he "goes soft" on torture, and b) he needs the full support of the military and Pentagon, above and beyond their duty to obey the president. He needs cooperation, he needs dialog, he needs people not to write him off for 2012, within his own government. I think this is one of those tough choices that presidents talk about in their memoirs later on, where they had to compromise an ideal in the name of the future.

Either way, I've not been thrilled with the compromise on torture. He's satisfied a silent majority while his vocal constituents are left going "What the fuck mang?!"
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile

There are a lot of countries that I think it would be cool to live in, but I'm not willing to give up on the red white and blue before we either get this country back on track or it's an irradiated wasteland inhospitable to life.  Until one of those, I'm a liberal 'murican diehard to the end.

We would love to help you out, however... Australia doesn't have any nukes, so making the barren wasteland would take a lot more effort then required. Try Russia, or North Korea.
endofworld.net, man, endofworld.net. It's your one stop shop for the endofworld.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

If it would help, We're already mostly wasteland down here.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Is there any way we can make your waste land feel more hostile towards reason, understanding, tolerance or biology? We want to do what ever we can to ensure you walk away feeling like you got the most that your waste land had to offer!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, I'm Talking about Australia here...

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Oh I know. We recently imported some more venomous species, as it seems the population was getting an immunity to brown snake and platypus over time, so now we have a brand new selection of scorpions to choose from!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You're forgetting the new toads we have...

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

There are a lot of countries that I think it would be cool to live in, but I'm not willing to give up on the red white and blue before we either get this country back on track or it's an irradiated wasteland inhospitable to life.  Until one of those, I'm a liberal 'murican diehard to the end.

We would love to help you out, however... Australia doesn't have any nukes, so making the barren wasteland would take a lot more effort then required. Try Russia, or North Korea.

It's nice to know that international cooperation still exists.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Honestly, I don't think the consitution is at fault for the current two part system. It doesn't say anything about the way elections have to be held, and what little it does say is already ignored. Election decisions are almost already made solely on the state level - if they wanted, they could change quite a bit to make things much much friendlier for third parties - they simply have no desire to.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Yea, let's turn this two person race into an open marathon! There is no way that it will result in less votes for us!

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

Honestly, I don't think the consitution is at fault for the current two part system. It doesn't say anything about the way elections have to be held, and what little it does say is already ignored. Election decisions are almost already made solely on the state level - if they wanted, they could change quite a bit to make things much much friendlier for third parties - they simply have no desire to.

Bush vs. Gore vs. Nadar

In a system that doesn't penalize third parties, Gore would have won the 2000 elections by a comfortable margin.  That's not even getting into the party run organizational and fundraising apparatuses that third parties don't have access to.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile

He was a trouble maker. You all know what happens to trouble makers.
Hello Hunam

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

No really, we worked hard to convince all those people climate change was a lie, just to piss Al Gore off. Do you know how hard a conspiracy is to pull off? I mean we had fight science, and that thing is hard to take down! Still, old Gore is still taking shit for he's movie.  :)

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile

I got fired once for telling my boss that Al Gore did not rape a masseuse.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

Yea, we spread that one around a bit. Nobody thought it had caught on through! Glad to see the marketing team is still up to the job.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7