Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Metathread: What makes a community fort last?  (Read 1805 times)

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metathread: What makes a community fort last?
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 04:33:39 pm »

I remember the players of Sparkgears were talking about this. Too many good players= fort is pretty much invincible, nothing to do but projects. Too many bad players= fort is dead. Get a good mix of good and bad players keeps the fort interesting. The bad players fuck up and the good players have the challenge of saving the fort.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2011, 05:11:59 pm »

New releases may also have something to do with many of them.  I don't know if I could call Baldedgilds a community fort, but whatever it is, I'm kind of looking for ways to introduce some failure to the place that isn't just "I'm done let's kill everyone" so that I have a chance of moving on to 31.22 sometime in the near future.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2011, 02:44:14 pm »

Good points.

How about some ideas that can be applied to most forts then? I'm talking about narrowly defined goals that can be applied to most forts.

I.) Posting requirements.
II.) Fort features/megaprojects.
III.) Other?

I'm not sure on the posting requirements, but fort features are something I can do.

a.) Working military (somewhat difficult in the newer versions).
b.) Hospital
c.) Warehouses
d.) Central Hall (Moria)
e.) Residential rooms with Windows, arranged into houses.
f.) plumping connected to every residence (sewer)
g.) Magma connected to every residence (heating system).
h.) Power connected to every residence
i.) Artificial cavern (in soil layers)
j.) Cavern Homes (secured)
k.) Drowning entrance chamber (segmented, pumps and drains)
l.) Separated, smaller forts, where a couple migrants, or one large family is made to live, specializing in one labor.
m.) An artificial cave river, complete with waterfall (can be turned off to avoid flooding and fps crash).
n.) Balconies overlooking multistory carved out courtyards.
o.) Guilds specializing in various trades with direct access to and station around an underground trade depot.
p.) Danger rooms made as safe as possible
q.) civilian skill training programs (formerly gyms with screw pumps)
r.) Theaters,Libraries (engravings) and civic buildings
s.) Large community lockers where each dwarf is assigned his or her own chest(s)
t.) Temples to multiple gods and individual ones
u.) Arenas
v.) Royal and noble manors isolated from the rest of the fort
w.) Obscenely overdecorated statutes and other admirable goods to produce happiness.
x.) Dwarf washes/showers/swimming pools
y.) Penal colonies (both actual jails and isolated areas you force "repeat criminals" into via burrows)
z.) Zoos (even aquatic!)

Just some thoughts.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

AngleWyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 12:25:54 pm »

a.) Working military (somewhat difficult in the newer versions).

What does that mean? It's far too subjective to mean anything at all. To one person, just recruiting a bunch of peasants into a squad counts as a "Working Military," -- even though they will all most likely die in any engagement. But to another person it isn't a "Working Military" until the units are all skill level 10+ in armor/shields/dodging/weapons and have equipped at least full iron armor and a steel weapon. Or what about one outrageously well trained dwarf in full steel gear, who stomps all over the invaders?

Need a better definition that "Working" military.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 12:29:31 pm by AngleWyrm »

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 12:57:19 pm »

I would define 'working military' as military that doesn't need overseeing at all. I managed to complete a year at Failcannon (three sieges and an ettin) without as much as touching the military screen - the most involvement I needed was targeting a berserk and changing alert level. Everything else was done by an awesome combination of patrol routes, schedules and burrows made by previous overseer.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2011, 05:23:57 pm »

I'd second Dariush.

I mean ok Angle, technically you're right but come on. That's not really a working or functional military if it gets wiped out at the slightest combat. The letter of the law is nothing without the spirit of it. Granted, it could be a little more defined, but that might vary by fort. Also in some versions, crossbow marksdwarves were utterly unplayable; heck currently quivers give them all kinds of problems. In other versions, ranged combat was so deadly they may as well have been shooting concentrated death.... So it depends on the version too.

If nothing else, it gives you something to think about.

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2011, 09:35:27 pm »

Hey guys,

Do you think maybe we could plan out a fort? Maybe this thread could turn into something like a brainstorming session? I never know where to put things in a fort when I start. It always ends up sort of hap hazard. While pathing is clearly a concern, we could also make it a nice looking too (doesn't have to be an underground skyscraper). While it's a work in progress, we have a massive simulator at our disposal. We could probably plan out something cool.

I say maybe we divide things up into different areas and see what we come up with. Points for:

1.) Style and realism (looks like it could actually stand and looks good).
2.) Efficiency (pathing)
3.) Defense
4.) Happiness
5.) Creativity.

The question before we do anything is, how do we actually map things out? 

Please don't quote me.
Pages: 1 [2]