Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Healthcare fixes praise zone  (Read 3844 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Healthcare fixes praise zone
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 06:00:25 am »

Platinum crutches for the legless masses.  They hit had as a hammer, because they weigh as much as one.  I may have to start intentionally removing feet, to arm my dwarves with makeshift weapons...

Immacolata

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 08:15:14 am »

Wonder if there is any more goodie bag fixes on the way?

I am planning to warm up a new world generation for 31.22 :)

Valrandir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Voxcel
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 09:04:53 am »

Following these awesome fix, I would like to design a Bathing zone next to a 1x1 soap stockpile with a barrel. Then dwarves with splatters on them would go take a bath and be all clean and get an happy thought from it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 09:12:35 am »

Hey, don't get greedy.  One miracle at a time, ok?

MiniMacker

• Bay Watcher
  • Side-effects include nausia, tantrum and insanity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2011, 09:14:54 am »

It isn't a new Dwarf Fortress version until we're made to fear some kind of regular creature.  Carp, Elephants, Unicorns, Badgers, and now Mosquitos.  I've got 5 dorfBucks on the next one being plagues of groundhogs.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 15, 2011, 10:13:46 am »

Seriously - if the stockpile fixes include dwarves understanding how to use non-hospital soap, crutches, healthcare that works, and dwarves that actually understand cleaning (like with the case of forgotten beast goo killing whole forts after they're dead) I'll probably have to move up to 31.22 on general principle, even if it means I can no longer search for "the perfect embark" without lots of trial and error.

The healthcare and stockpile fixes so far sound great - like we're finally getting so many of those old systems running properly when they haven't for "soooo long". I can't wait to see what the OTHER half of the "old bug fixes" include, because the first half has sounded completely awesome.

Twobeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of the Beard
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2011, 10:57:47 am »

Finally!  Now I won't have to build those elaborate drowning chambers/hospitals that drain into my well cistern and a pump to draw off the excess.  Crutches actually being used changes all that!

... Well, almost.  I suppose if one goes paraplegic I'd still need to drown them to keep them from draining Fortress resources.

I guess you can build drowning rooms. Or you could just lock the door. :P
A leg of ham, a jug of beer and thou besides me, whistling in the darkness.

HammerHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2011, 02:48:50 am »

I guess you can build drowning rooms. Or you could just lock the door. :P

Hm.  Don't know why I hadn't thought of just locking the door.  That's... simpler.  Easier.

Oh, wait.  That's the reason.  It's not Dwarven enough.  Also, when I want to kill a Dwarf, I want them to die right now.  My original plan was for magma, of course, but magma can take a lot longer to set up than water, and it usually destroys the hospital bed, table, traction bench, and possibly the associated draining hatch and its mechanisms.  Drowning was definitely the euthanasia of choice.

Although if I wanted to get really complicated, I could always set up my hospital to encase my invalids in carbonite obsidian.  But right now it's all I can do just to get a metal industry up and running.  :/
Sooooooaaaaaap!
Tha's grreat!
Soooocks!

Malibu Stacey

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2011, 08:42:48 pm »

Awesome!
Only thing left to fix (that I can recall) are the issues with clothing (Dwarves see them as optional) and obviously the economy.
Yep those are the only things left to fix. The other 1800+ issues still unresolved in Mantis are probably just figments of someones imagination.
Clothes: Dwarves don't wear them.  They migrate in with clothes, and when those rot they stay naked.  They claim a horde of socks and shit, but never wear a scrap unless they're in a squad.
And then they wreck your FPS because they keep thinking about wearing some new clothes but never actually will ad infinitum.
I bursted out laughing so hard at this that my dog woke up, came in the room, and looked at me like I'm an idiot.

Then proceeded to brag about how he has 27 kills on his kill list and is super-doggenly tough. 

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2011, 04:56:46 pm »

Was that a troll post? It's quite simple.

Step One: Check if wearing clothes. If yes, proceed to step two, otherwise, ignore the issue until later.
Step Two: Find nearest clothes and path to them.
Step Three: Pick up clothes.
Step Four: Wear clothes.

Was that so hard?
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2011, 05:05:30 pm »

For whatever reason, dwarves don't wear clothes once their migrant clothes rot.  I didn't program the game so I don't know why this is...

lotopius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2011, 05:39:52 pm »

# allowed dwarves that can't stand even with a crutch to move around instead of never moving again

Wait, why?
I understand that dwarves that can use crutches should be able to move around, but what's the point of having crutches in the first place if even the ones who CAN'T have them can move?

I mean, I don't want a dwarf with no arms and no legs to be able to do anything except be a burden to the fort or die. Otherwise it renders obsolete the entire concept of a health system and ruins the !fun!.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2011, 05:47:34 pm »

Injured dwarves suffer remarkably.  Armless dwarves cannot haul, equip armor, or do many other things.  They can use workshops, but their goods will stay there until someone moves the goods away (for that matter, can they bring goods TO the workshop, if they can't haul?).  There will likely be similar restrictions for leg injuries.  They'll move very slow, for instance, and you'll do a lot better just relocating the workshop or the stockpiles so that Urist McLeglessLegendary doesn't spend all season trying to haul that steel to the forge.

Basically, I think instead of taking a hit to the foot and rendering a perfectly able-bodied dwarf unable to even stay awake, as they sit in the hospital and rot from a single thief who managed to bump into your legendary armorsmith... you'll instead end up with an armorsmith who moves half as fast and can't haul anything, because his hands are occupied with his crutches.  It's all about balance, and right now the "balance" is that any given individual can be taken out by a stray bolt or stray knife wound to the foot.

darkwombat

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2011, 08:41:20 pm »

Urist McPlayer admires a well-crafted bugfix list.  He is ecstatic!

But seriously, this fills me with teh happy.  Still, I humbly beg of the beneficent Toady (may the hairs in his beard flourish forever) one boon more:  Please, oh, please, oh PLEASE . . . make the evil soap spam bug go away!  :D

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2011, 09:33:50 pm »

You can get around that one yourself. Hide all the soap behind a dwarf dip, and they'll get cleaned off before they even touch the stuff.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4