Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Beard increases social status  (Read 3210 times)

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Beard increases social status
« on: March 14, 2011, 02:08:13 am »

So a dwarf with a large beard or several large beards is more likely to make friends and be elected mayor than a dwarf with a small beard or very few beards (unless those beards are very large). A dwarf with a large beard is also automatically stronger, faster and produces better goods than a dwarf with a small beard.

A dwarf without a beard is a social outcast and all other dwarves automatically have a Grudge against them, including other dwarves with no beard. There will also be a new creatable item, a beard wig, for dwarves who don't have beards. The higher the quality of this beard, the bigger it is.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Beard increases social status
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 02:19:56 am »

So, beards are like a penis now?  We judge the value of a man based on the size (and quantity?) of his "beard"?

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:26:47 am »

Fashions and styles like this are all part of the generated cultures that will be put in the game in the next few years or whenever.  Check the development plans.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 05:55:10 pm »

I think it should be common for dwarves who have had their beards burned off in accidents to be mistaken for women.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 06:07:32 pm »

If social status is controlled by beard length, dwarven women should have beards too.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 06:12:26 pm »

Ugh no.  They should not have beards.  Dwarven women's worth is not measured by the length of their beard but by the quality of their crafts.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2011, 07:56:01 pm »

Toady has mentioned beard-shaving as a form of Justice before.  This would presumably give that dwarf a massive unhappy thought.

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 08:14:06 pm »

Heh, that'd be great if fake long beards became contraband.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2011, 09:54:10 pm »

I just had a dwarf get into a bit of a tangle with a giant cave spider.  He was trying to seal off the caverns before any fun happened and..... well... fun happened.  Then I realize that he's a wood-cutter.  He's carrying an axe.  Quickly I draft him, and tell him to attack.  Singlehandedly he cut down this gigantic arachnid.  But theres blood everywhere.  I haven't even set up a hospital yet, so I zone a hospital quickly right behind the traps I've set up to keep the fortress safe.  The doctor comes down, diagnoses him and what do I get?

His hair is cut open.  His beard is cut open.

buh? what is this I don't even...

How does hair bleed?  Either way the dwarf refuses to stay in the hospital after this diagnosis, and goes to get drunk, then throws a party.  He didn't even wash up, blood still covering his beard.

The moral of this story? That blood isn't filth to be cleaned up... it's a mark of honor.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2011, 01:44:32 am »

I thought all dwarves had beards, including the female ones. That's why dwarves are indistinguishable from male to female. You have to check their profile pages to see their gender.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2011, 01:52:50 am »

That was sort of implied before.  But now that it's actually tracked by the game, dwarf females do not have beards.

I also echo Sphalerite's earlier comment:

If social status is controlled by beard length, dwarven women should have beards too.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2011, 01:53:12 am »

Actually, the raw for dwarves has a note at the facial hair section, something like "put brackets around the following line to add beards for women." and then there's the token for hair.  So, vanilla doesn't, but they easily can.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2011, 05:41:35 am »

Rival families hiring "barber assassins" to ruin the prestige of there enemies, so that there crafts are bought instead.  Devious.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2011, 08:30:19 pm »

I think having a large beard should improve a dwarf's chances of being elected to office, and being respected, etc.  But as for actually affecting performance... no, don't think that makes much sense.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2011, 08:41:47 pm »

I debracket male facial hair when I remember, because I think beards should be under control of the player.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2