Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 73

Author Topic: Dungeon Keeper: The Q&A  (Read 49113 times)

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Keeper: The Q&A
« Reply #180 on: March 30, 2011, 09:58:08 pm »

Right. Since it is not worth arguing with the GM on the finer points of time and the way it runs, I will only ask what you think about weakening or getting rid of mindleash.

I think mindleash is ok. The stunn effect works like a normal spell, and the extra possible effects are a bit of a bonus. It only works on one target at a time and has to be maintained. most other single target spells have a comparable effect, but they last longer than a mere stunn, crippling an opponent for longer. The bonus effects if you roll well are a big plus yes, but keep in mind it is a gaze attack and that it only works well on intelligent humanoids. Its probably a little min maxed, but a psionic is not very varied in abilities so thats a disadvantage, although psionics is seperate from magick my itself so thats an advantage too.
if it seemed overpwered on the carrion crawler thats because you had all the advantages and it was no threat to the gargoyle besides his ego maybe, its not a 12 second combat turn, where they resist one spellcasting roll and the thing can get up turn around crawl up the ladder and grapple you, you coulda cast mindleash at it like 8 times before it reaches you probably, it woulda gone down sooner or later.

EDIT Ironyowl, you got the clay tables and the brass plates because you rolled a crit. in fact i'll let you pick up one more thing that is non-flammable and sturdy since you crit. (otherwise you'da died of smoke inhilation or something :D )

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 30, 2011, 10:02:07 pm »

Okay. If you feel it is okay who am I to argue?

Now, about this research people are doing. What is that? Can we research new abilities? (At apparently a rate so slow it almost does not matter.)

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 30, 2011, 10:10:13 pm »

Okay. If you feel it is okay who am I to argue?

Now, about this research people are doing. What is that? Can we research new abilities? (At apparently a rate so slow it almost does not matter.)

the only other thing that might come into play that i can think of is that if you try to mind control a big baddie, but big guys cost more mana to influence with spells. you guys have lots of spellcasters though lol so thats a small consolation.

yes, you get abilities at a certain rate, but if you research you can use them to unlock new abilities faster. Check out the second post i've been adding stuff via edits. a typical unlock costs 200hours, not to be confused with crafting an item worth 200$. You are right though, because there is no guarantee that that is the best use of time. However you get bonus hours potentially so if furtuka researched nonstop and rolled well every shift he could get the 200 hours in 4.167 days (8hours x200% from beating research roll by 10 each day, x3 shifts) its doable if you have tool/workshop/assistant bonuses and such. (and if you ignore the outside world.)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 30, 2011, 10:11:30 pm »

Gah, my weaponsmithing book! You bastards! >:(

Guess I'll grab the knucklebone dice then. Or should I grab the ivory scepter? Does someone already have the polished wand?

And yeah, research will be much more viable once we get properly set up. Part of the reason for my aggressive mining. :)
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 30, 2011, 10:18:00 pm »

These abilities... Since researched ones are not inborn... Can they be shared with other players then?

Or is it time for a race of researching!

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 30, 2011, 10:23:44 pm »

These abilities... Since researched ones are not inborn... Can they be shared with other players then?

Or is it time for a race of researching!

researched ones COULD be inborn, to some other race (if you know what im saying, if not then nvrmnd) But yes, you could share them. However it will still take 200 hours of study to learn them, but the teacher contributes his teaching to the rate of research for the new learner. Teaching a pyromancer how to cast entangle is doable, but without the skill to cast it, it would be less than reliable. You'd have better luck with teaching rituals to newbies, like bind imp. not by much but at least your spell wouldnt fail you in combat repeatedly, wasting precious seconds in combat.

rty275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 30, 2011, 10:57:39 pm »

Also Criptfiend? I think either Furtuka or I would win the race. Him because of his lack of the need to sleep and me because of my ridiculous intelligence. But anyway, don't you think that is an obscene amount of time to be researching? That takes you out of the game for at least four days.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 30, 2011, 11:00:39 pm »

Hum... Normally I would point out my ace in the hole in the form of stabbing you both in the back of the head well you are not paying attention.

But I think so soon after that thing with spoon jokes of that nature would not be appreciated.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2011, 01:08:16 am »

Some sort of laboratory or workshop will speed it up, remember. It's not something to be taken lightly, but it doesn't have to be as bad as it is right now.

Also, there might be practical limits to the usefulness of yet another ability. If you already know fireball, for instance, learning ice spike or lightning bolt probably doesn't help much.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

rty275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2011, 01:09:54 am »

I think I might "see" you coming. We're both psionic, remember? Someone with mental power would be visible on a psychic level, right Hastur?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2011, 01:18:39 am »

Guess I'll grab the knucklebone dice then. Or should I grab the ivory scepter? Does someone already have the polished wand?

I grabbed the polished bonewand, but not the ivory sceptre.

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 31, 2011, 07:46:38 pm »

Question: what abilities do I have as vampire alchemist?

Abilities
Gravebound - must sleep in coffin, heals damage at the cost of blood/food. wont heal otherwise. difficult to 'rouse
Unliving - no bonus damage from piercing/slashing
Lightblind - sensitive to bright lights, sees better in darkness
Bite - deadly bite, a strike that ends in a grapple, deals slashing type damage as long as maintained, deals damage to fatuige too!

You also have a list of known alchemical recipes. i can either give you whatever or you can give me some guidance.

EDIT: Too late i finished the list.
Value  -  Name  -  Effect
200 - Buffout vial - Buff Str+2 one minute
60 - Moxie vial- Restore Endurance +2 for one minute
160 - Spellward+4 vial- magic resistance+4 for one minute

80 - Pain vial- -2agil -2coor -2Int for one minute
120 - Visions vial- -2 to all skills, or -5 if they fail a will roll
160 - nausea vial- -2 to all stats for one minute

20 - Molotov potion - 1-6 fire
20 - Acid potion - 1-6 acid
80 - Glowstick - reduces darkness penalty to -3, or -0 if its adjacent.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:00:30 pm by Hastur »

Fortis

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 31, 2011, 10:09:32 pm »

I arrive with the next turn, correct?

Hastur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2011, 10:36:47 pm »

I arrive with the next turn, correct?

yes on day 5 will be your first available shifts, i think you might be the last one untill someone dies because 10 is a big arbitrary number.

Surviving stuff
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2011, 10:42:21 pm by Hastur »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 01, 2011, 01:57:38 am »

By the way, it might be easier on Hastur if we all resposted our turns now, since there's an awful lot of duplicate turns and other stuff between the last full day update and the end of the fight.

Also, Hastur, since we have so many people, it might be better if you went ahead and skipped/auto'd anyone who doesn't have their turn in on time, rather than hold up the whole game because one or two people were busy or forgot.

EDIT: Aaaaaaand Hastur himself ninjas me. Figures. :P
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 73