Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hunter, no Hunting!  (Read 1059 times)

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Hunter, no Hunting!
« on: March 13, 2011, 12:12:42 pm »

So my hunter isn't hunting. Why?

1. He's got a crossbow.
2. He's got a quiver.
3. I have so many bolts I could make a machine gun that shoots bolts and fire it for about 10 minutes straight.

Edit: Turns out I have TWO hunters who are not hunting. I even turned off my military's ammunition [since he wasn't doing anything with it anyways.] incase that was the problem. They still would rather stare at a wall and drool.

Edit 2: Okay, one of them decided it was finally time to work. As long as atleast one of them kills -something-, I'm happy. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 12:54:02 pm by SpiralDimentia »
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

obeliab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter, no Hunting!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 12:42:36 pm »

Does the Hunter have any other jobs assigned?  Is there wildlife to hunt?

SpiralDimentia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 12:46:53 pm »

Nope, turned off everything but hunting and small animal dissection. Even have hauling turned off. And yeah, bunch of deer deep running around, couple got caught in my traps which was annoying, as they're inside my base. And I even saw two pandas running around.
Dragonwork, A Successful Failure.
Legacy of Insightshields
Many more made tales in this hall,
before the stronghold found it's fall.
An enemy none could stop or yield,
had taken over Insightshields.

white_darkness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 01:25:18 pm »

Have you tried turning off hunting for a season and let them discard the hunting paraphernalia and then turn hunting back on?  I've had to do this whenever I've tried upgrading metal type on a weapon for a hunter or a miner.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 01:28:33 pm »

Have you tried turning off hunting for a season and let them discard the hunting paraphernalia and then turn hunting back on?  I've had to do this whenever I've tried upgrading metal type on a weapon for a hunter or a miner.
this works for me as well.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 09:02:16 pm »

Spiral, if your hunters are marksdwarves too, than can cause problems with both. Something to do with weapons, and uniforms. Normally, any wild game shoes up on the map, and they have bolts, and access to the animal, will continue to hunt
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

janglur

• Bay Watcher
  • +Blood Soup+
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:15:55 pm »

Hunter, no hunting!

Swiper, no swiping!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2011, 01:22:30 am »

If all else fails, just remove their hunting labor, draft them into a military squad, and use them manually. It takes more micromanaging, but you can get much better results.

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 07:02:40 pm »

Having the same trouble.

I had two hunters who hunted successfully for several years- lots of kills, one even became a legendary hunter.

The one stopped and a short while later had a baby- so maybe pregnancy stops hunting?

Then the second one stopped- haven't figure out why.

Then I got frustrated and took both of those hunters off hunting and assigned a new hunter. No other labors, no military, lots and lots of ammo. He has his quiver and crossbow but never picks up bolts and never goes out to hunt.

Several animals on the map to hunt including easy ones like goats & elk birds.
DF version 0.34.05 Lazy Newb Pack

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 12:51:08 am »

Fixed!

After trying a few dozen different things and a few years hunters doing nothing, I finally found a solution and I'm happy to report I have hunters hunting again.

I unforbid all the ammo on the map. A short while later my hunters picked up their equipment (single bolts, not stacks) and got back to work.

This is in spite of the hundreds of stacks of bolts in stockpiles (that the military would make use of). It was the hundreds of forbidden spent bolts laying all over the map (from sieges and years of hunting) that kept the hunters from hunting.

Really frustrating. I guess that's what I get for trying to take the lazy way and not reclaiming the spent ammo. I think I'll dump all the single bolts in magma so that the hunters are forced to use the stacks.

Update: and after shooting a few single bolts, now they're picking up fresh stacks of newly made bolts. so weird...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 12:57:49 am by cancel.man »

Avo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 05:57:19 pm »

I find hunting time consuming. Better to place cage traps in any narrow passages your map has then dump the contents down your massive shaft. The added advantage is it works on goblins.

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2011, 07:38:19 pm »

Digging a shaft, building cages, assigning things to pit, and cleaning up the mess aren't time consuming?

Hunting is set-it-and-forget-it. My hunters just go do their own thing and bring back meat (while also getting rid of animals on the map that may be harmful- even the ones in the deepest caves). The forbidden bolts scattered about seem to be the only major drawback, IMO. And it's a lot slower than sending in the military to take out the pack of crundles, rutherers, elk birds, etc.

When it comes down to it- hunters are badasses that stalk and kill things. Traps are the weak sauce approach.