Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Making doctors useful.  (Read 2571 times)

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making doctors useful.
« on: March 13, 2011, 02:35:28 am »

there are only 3 ways for a doctor to see any work in the game:
hostile creature injures a dwarf
pet spazzes and injures a dwarf
and (lets face it) player incompetence.

a good or tedious player will never see a doctor used and even a !!fun!! loving player will see very little use for a hospital and medical staff. it's almost easier to leave your dorfs to their misery when they get injured and a fort can easily survive with no medical care.

i propose a simple solution to this. accidents, not noble accidents but genuine everyday accidents.
Urist McClumsy has fallen down the stairs
Urist McMason has chissled his own hand
Urist McDrunk climbed a statue and fell off
Urist McSmelter has received burns

so why not? dorfs are proven to already lack basic survival skills. having a chance for dorfs to wind up in hospital would make it much more necessary and give more skill to doctors for wounded milta, ect really needed attention.  other ideas to expand on non combat/serious mining accident related visits would be illnesses and child birth. illnesses could even come form vermin in the food stores or contaminated water.
Has anyone attempted to use a loyalty cascade to play a hermit fortress?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Making doctors useful.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 03:02:23 am »

Just one issue.  It would be the sober dwarf to hurt himself.  The drunks are fine!

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 03:24:25 am »

there are only 3 ways for a doctor to see any work in the game:
hostile creature injures a dwarf
pet spazzes and injures a dwarf
and (lets face it) player incompetence.

a good or tedious player will never see a doctor used and even a !!fun!! loving player will see very little use for a hospital and medical staff. it's almost easier to leave your dorfs to their misery when they get injured and a fort can easily survive with no medical care.

i propose a simple solution to this. accidents, not noble accidents but genuine everyday accidents.
Urist McClumsy has fallen down the stairs
Urist McMason has chissled his own hand
Urist McDrunk climbed a statue and fell off
Urist McSmelter has received burns

so why not? dorfs are proven to already lack basic survival skills. having a chance for dorfs to wind up in hospital would make it much more necessary and give more skill to doctors for wounded milta, ect really needed attention.  other ideas to expand on non combat/serious mining accident related visits would be illnesses and child birth. illnesses could even come form vermin in the food stores or contaminated water.

As long as these don't happen too often, I support this. Probably 1 accident per month, per 200 dwarves would be a good starting point. At that rate, you'd be lucky to see a single randomized accident in the first year or so of a fort.

I would also suggest biasing the selection of injuries based on expected treatment requirements (both type of skill required and the skill level). Injuries that just need to be cleaned and bandaged (and maybe with one or two stitches) should be more common than those that require the attention of a surgeon or bone-setter.

And injuries should be archetypes, so the "climbs on statue and fell off" would be "<dwarf> climbed on <built-furniture> and fell off, causing <fall-injuries>". Similarly, for the workshop things, "<dwarf> was careless at work and <task-related-injury> [at <workshop>] while <task>", which would, of course, have a chance of firing while the dwarf was performing a task. Optional workshop so fishing and hauling can use it.

As for falling down stairs, I think that one should be avoided, because last time one of my dwarves fell down a stairs, it was 20 levels and only giblets were entombed.
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

EmperorJon

• Bay Watcher
  • Still waiting...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 04:01:57 am »

"Urist McClumsy was careless at work and chiselled his own finger at Mason's Workshop while making Table"
"Urist McClumsy has created a masterpiece!"
"The table is encircled with bands of Urist McClumsy's blood and skin. The table is dyed blood red. On the table is an image of a dwarf's fi- wait, that's not an image!"
I think it's the way towns develop now. In the beginning, people move into a town. Then they start producing tables, which results in more and more tables. Soon tables represent a significant portion of the population, they start lobbying for new laws and regulations, putting people to greater and greater disadvantage...
Link for full quote. 'tis mighty funny.

Demonsul

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 07:00:38 am »

It should maybe happen maybe once per month per thirty dwarves or so. Not enough to slow down production too much, but enough to keep the doctors semi-busy. Simple bruises and such which merely need diagnosing and bandaging would make hospitals a lot less useless than they are now - and would reduce the risk of novice doctors being the only ones available when a dwarf gets a major injury from a fight.
Absconditus

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 07:09:45 am »

haha, nice. i want that table.
"Urist McClumsy was careless at work and chiselled his own finger at Mason's Workshop while making Table"
"The table is encircled with bands of Urist McClumsy's blood and skin. The table is dyed blood red. On the table is an image of a dwarf's fi- wait, that's not an image!"
haha, nice. i want that table.

anyway, these arnt specific examples i have given, i am just giving a general feel for it.
i also think think that it should be more then 1/200 chance per month, perhaps 1/50 chance per month? even then a full time doctor would see very little work and most minor wounds heal in a matter of days so the hospital would barely see a patient for most of the time until you got way up there in population. i think most of it should be grazes and minor cuts that require just cleaning, suturing, bandaging and then off to work again. in the end most of the hospital stuff needs to be reworked so how this is done is only speculation, all i really want in the end is for my doctor to level up annnnd kinda punish people who skimp on healthcare for their subjects.

broken bones, loosing teeth, severed body parts (even fingers) would all be exceedingly rare in a day to day accident.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 07:10:53 am »

Hmm, not to toot my own horn, but a possible implementation of when dwarfs hurt themselves has been put forward by myself here. So it would kill two birds with one stone.

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 07:23:52 am »

meh, still not a duplicate thread as you are just referring to a single post within a thread also even craftsman with lots of experience still hurt themselves. the probability should go down with levels up but never disappear.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 08:11:48 am »

Supported, but I think it should be delayed a few years and be based off of both experience, age, and clumsiness. Children are more likely to perform the stupid things like climbing statues or falling down stairs. Of course by 'fall' it should be restricted to one or two z levels, or else you end up falling in the main shaft, going from the dining room to the smelters a hundred z-levels down is going to hurt. Clumsiness would affect those who are new to the job, but there should be a way to put them into custom reactions to.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 08:37:45 am »

how about 'caution' squares, if a dorf is near edge or lava they have 1/100 the chance of tripping.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 09:37:49 am »

I think that eventually, we'll be getting diseases that aren't related to Forgotten Beasts and don't necessarily involve melting the skin off.  Having to fend off plagues brought by traders, as well as just a simple virus caught from the pig farm will probably give you plenty of reason to have at least examiners, even if they may not necessarily have much treatment options unless we get alchemy.

Not that workplace accidents shouldn't be here, of course, but that's something doctors can be useful for, as well, and was, in fact, their traditional role.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Artanis00

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 04:23:55 pm »

"Urist McDoctor was careless at work and stitched his left thumb to his patient while re-attaching Urist McClumsy's right pointer finger."

Doctors shouldn't be exempt; So there may be some bad luck.

how about 'caution' squares, if a dorf is near edge or lava they have 1/100 the chance of tripping.

I'd put it lower in general, have it happen anywhere, and tag floor types with trip rate modifiers. Tripping should work a little like dodging now, in that it would shift the dwarf a tile or two in a random direction (so if he's near a cliff he might fall off).
Git - fast, efficient, distributed version control system
Github - Free public repositories, issue tracking, wikis, downloads...

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 04:52:48 pm »

'Scuse my nerdy anatomy, but dwarves far are more stable then us human beings. They are shorter, and ahem. Wider, making their center of gravity closer to the earth. Thus making them less likely, or impossible, to trip. Especially compared to your average human being.

Plus it's so easy to avoid this happening even if it was put into the game, just have a restricted path running around the volcano's rim. You don't even need a rail or anything. So what's the point of making dwarves trip if it's so easy to prevent?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 06:34:25 pm »

Well, there shouldn't just be accidents, there should be illness as well.  I mean, most of what a doctor does is non-accident related.  Common cold, flu, etc.  And some extremely rare illness that are fatal unless untreated.  Perhaps even medicinal plants that only grow in odd biomes.  Stuff like that.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 06:35:56 pm by Greep »

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 08:11:25 pm »

'Scuse my nerdy anatomy, but dwarves far are more stable then us human beings. They are shorter, and ahem. Wider, making their center of gravity closer to the earth. Thus making them less likely, or impossible, to trip. Especially compared to your average human being.

true but what about stairs? those stubby little legs are totally gonna send time tumbling down if they miss a step and their shorter, wider, and particularly more ball like shape would make rolling much more feasible. so on the flats i agree a dorf tripping and causing injury is unlikely but going up and down they would be at risk and also hauling massive heavy items, weapons, animals and so on would see quite a few more injuries then someone just walking. i just want transported related injuries to exist so that haulers are the ones visiting the hospital as otherwise for this idea to properly go in you would have your legendary blacksmith showing up with a broken hand every other tuesday. not good.
Pages: [1] 2