Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Making doctors useful.  (Read 2569 times)

FGK dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making doctors useful.
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2011, 01:48:57 pm »

Plus it's so easy to avoid this happening even if it was put into the game, just have a restricted path running around the volcano's rim. You don't even need a rail or anything. So what's the point of making dwarves trip if it's so easy to prevent?

Well, it wouldn't be limited to volcanoes. You'd risk damage from tripping when climbing steep mountainsides, or venturing into the caverns, particularly when first exploring, before building rails or setting restricted zones on the most dangerous bits.

And maybe you'd want a dangerous path into the fort so that incoming Goblins and Elves will risk tripping too.

PartyBear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2011, 03:00:18 pm »

Even if dwarves are typically stable enough not to fall over when they stumble, that doesn't mean they'd escape unscathed if they happened to be carrying 10 ton boulders or bins full of toys made from similar boulders.  Urist might drop what she was carrying onto her foot, shattering the bone through the pig tail sock.

I'd imagine tripping would mostly be a problem on rough floors and on tiles that are cluttered with items.  Avoiding clutter in the main thoroughfares would be more important.  Crowding could potentially be part of it, too, but I can't see a way for the player to deal with that problem, so that might be too unfair.  Clear and smooth tiles should be pretty hard to trip on for all but the clumsiest dwarf, but smooth floors could get slippery when wet, so cleaning would be an important job for more than just appearance's sake.

All that said, tripping would have to be exceedingly rare for it not to get annoying fast.  I'd think only very, very clumsy dwarves should even have a chance to trip.

The thing about workplace accidents, which I kind of like the idea of, is that they should be a function of skill.  That would mean accidents would be more common in the early part of a fortress's existence, which would mean that not bringing along a skilled doctor in the beginning could doom a fortress to failure.  That's kind of realistic, and kind of not.  I don't think I'd like it much, personally, without a "suck it up and keep working" attitude among the dwarves -- at least the starting seven.

I know that the goal of the proposal is to give doctors work and experience, but I think there would have to be ways to mitigate the damage without doctors.  Furnace operators might be less likely to burn themselves if they have heavy leather gloves and aprons, for example.  Most jobs could have safety equipment like that.  I guess I don't like the part of the idea that this is supposed to punish players who neglect the medical stuff.  It's an open ended game, and I don't think there should be many "you're doing it wrong" elements like that.  Besides, sometimes you're going to lack doctors because of ambushes, not because of any fault of your own, and then you could lose everything in an "injury spiral," where less and less skilled dwarves have to take on all the jobs while injuries put more and more dwarves to bed, while you wait for a new doctor to arrive in a migrant wave.

Okay, that's enough off topic rambling.  I'm just going to get worse if I don't stop myself.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2011, 03:06:35 pm »

'Scuse my nerdy anatomy, but dwarves far are more stable then us human beings. They are shorter, and ahem. Wider, making their center of gravity closer to the earth. Thus making them less likely, or impossible, to trip. Especially compared to your average human being.

Pardon my pedantry, but you are entirely incorrect. It is humans who are senselessly tall and waifishly thin, resulting in their oafish clumsiness. Dwarves are precisely as the creator intended perfection to be, as evidenced by their stability.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2011, 05:04:13 pm »

I find this thread hilarious.  I am sure once we get inner-fortress politics and conflicts occurring this will be a bigger issue as well.  I also agree that some dwarves should be more accident prone than others.  Perhaps ones with low dexterity, agility or kinesthetics, especially if they work with hot, heavy or sharp objects.  Scraped knuckles and minor burns should be common in the fortress, IMHO.
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2011, 05:25:25 pm »

Sure it might be easy to prevent.  In the same way that preventing your starting 7 from starvation is possible by bringing a hunter, a farmer, and a fisherdwarf.  Just because there is an easy way to make it NOT happen (in this case, restricted walkways), doesn't mean we're going to forsee every possible occurance of a dwarf slipping and getting hurt (like a smoothed tile near the water cistern... dwarves shouldn't be near it but did you forsee it? No)

Having minor injuries occur as a natural course would be very awesome.  I also support the mild sicknesses (Urist McMason cancels build construction: Has the sniffles)
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2011, 05:40:01 pm »

Having minor injuries occur as a natural course would be very awesome.  I also support the mild sicknesses (Urist McMason cancels build construction: Has the sniffles)

This would be cool because it would make doctors essential, in that sometimes dwarves might get pneumonia if not treated in a timely manner.

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2011, 06:01:59 pm »

Surely, in the same way that a stubbed toe can get infected and kill unless treated properly.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2011, 09:55:41 pm »

Well here's the thing about tripping, computing power. Every click you would have to calculate if the dwarf trips or not. which is done much in the same way artifacts are done. Roll a 500 sided die, if it lands on 1 the dwarf would trip. Multiply this by the number of dwarves you have, 50? 100? 200? Constantly, sounds like a lot of wasted computer work. Plus this is DF, spike traps should only hit the lower body, yet they are well beyond capable of hitting the head. So dropping a box might result in someone losing a nose.

For the record, I support workplace injuries (bonus points if we can put this into modded reactions) and sicknesses. But tripping sounds like hassle. For what? Two experience points Urist McHouse gets after he diagnoses the patient? Hardly seems worth it.

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2011, 10:06:10 pm »

Well accidents wouldn't be calculated every frame, just when the dwarf does something that can screw up and injure them.

Picking up or putting down an item, for example.  The accident code could be run only when picking up and putting down the item. In the interim, they do not calculate to see if they drop the box on their toe.  They just do it (or do not, as the case may be).  If they try to go up or down stairs while carrying the object, well that's a calculation that must be performed.

Also, don't get the wrong idea about it eating up clock cycles.  It's a dice roll.  It takes maybe 4 calculations to make this happen (get seed, random(seed), if high call accident, else continue).  This would not cause a slowdown, since it takes more calculations for a dwarf to eat than it would for this check.  Stuff like miasma and flowing water cause slowdowns because there are so many calculations being done by numerous objects (each 1/7 of water calculates on it's own, same with each miasma tile... and with miasma there are many stacked in the same area).  On the other hand, with a maximum of 200 dwarves in an area at one time, them checking periodically for an accident would cause about as much FPS drop as a pond of water 30 squares in area.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2011, 03:16:16 am »

This would be cool because it would make doctors essential, in that sometimes dwarves might get pneumonia if not treated in a timely manner.

It would also be cool if we could make them do research on captured vermin (and possibly animals).  We actually learned a lot about biology that way, historically (not to mention via much creepier practices, like vivisection of criminals....)
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Norseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2011, 02:22:42 am »

I think that it's not a good idea to have lots of accidents at the start of the fortress. You should have a chance to build up a little bit before the Fun starts. Perhaps the starting seven could be extra careful and nimble by default? Perhaps more dangerous things could be further along the production line?

For example, you might get your hand crushed in a wind-powered mill, but a quern wouldn't hurt you. A magma smelter might cause a more serious injury than a coal-fired smelter. Steel axes might be able to chop down trees more quickly, but could also cause a more severe injury in the event of an accident. Sometimes, dwarves might accidentally set off your own traps... As you develop your fortress, you'll make accidents more common, and you'll make those accidents more severe.

Skill, obviously, should make accidents less likely. First, we don't want legendary weaponsmiths getting their hands melted off. Second, it's not very likely. A legendary weaponsmith is likely to have enough experience to make accidents very uncommon.

We could also make architects more useful. Better-designed buildings should be safer, so a skilled architect would be quite valuable to your fortress.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2011, 12:12:51 am »

We could also make architects more useful. Better-designed buildings should be safer, so a skilled architect would be quite valuable to your fortress.

I approve of this notion!

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2011, 02:58:55 am »

yeah, i like the idea of architects making safer buildings or more accurately higher quality buildings being safer. also as for leather gloves to protect the metal smiths and so on, even with aprons to protect the butchers. that way you could have a 'safety is careful' fort where any dorf with low dext can suck it and the doctor is essential and overworked and the 'OHS poster boy' of forts where the doctor is neglected coz it's that safe there is no accidents to speak of thx to ramps (safer then stairs), wide hallways, work safety gear and so on.
Has anyone attempted to use a loyalty cascade to play a hermit fortress?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2011, 07:47:45 am »

before you even think of injuries from falling, please please fix the 'shatterd bone when falling from anything onto anything just 1 z level down' ie like with sand.

once its just bruiseing and realistic damage from a fall as such, then ide be happy to see minor accidents every now and then.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

anon_outlaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2011, 10:15:58 pm »

yeah, i get that but it is an alpha.
Has anyone attempted to use a loyalty cascade to play a hermit fortress?
Pages: 1 [2]