Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36

Author Topic: (D&D 3.5ed) Fading North (Always recruiting)  (Read 31193 times)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (D&D 3.5ed) Fading North (Always recruiting)
« Reply #195 on: March 14, 2011, 11:48:32 pm »

Big long post
Man, I really am out of practice. This sharn consciousness things sounds kind of iffy, though. You're talking about these guys, right? What did you do, embed a sharn's mind into one of those intelligent warforged components I seem to recall seeing somewhere but can't remember the details of? ...Something that gives you the extraordinary abilities of the embedded mind? It looks like they don't get the abilities of their component minds, though, so I don't know where you'd be getting the saint abilities. (Even if they do, I'm pretty sure you wouldn't be able to maintain saint status when fusing with non-saints, either. Exalted characters are held to a higher standard than paladins, and saints higher still. The rules on that template are very clear that it's way too powerful precisely because you have to jump through so many hoops to keep it from evaporating.)
Also, you can't do a permanent 8th level spell, either, unless its duration is measured in days. At 1 min/level, that would come out to 480k gold, and there's a rule that says non-epic magic items can't have abilities costing more than 200k. The item's total cost can be higher, but only if it's from combining cheaper abilities. (And that's if you just go straight off the table; I'd be thinking really hard about raising the cost from there on the theory that WTF is up with that spell in the first place. But that doesn't usually come up in optimization exercises.) Even if you could do it, that, plus ~120k for your slotless sevenfold veil would take almost your entire budget.
...wait, how do you get an ancestral weapon when you don't have ancestors? One of those crazy-ass things, I guess; god knows there are plenty. I came up with a trick that involves clicking your heels together an infinite number of times in a single round. It's a free action, you can totally do it! (And it's positively disgusting what you can do with it.)
Hey, wait, if you're using Bo9S stuff, can you still call it an optimized fighter taking down a wizard? ... I guess he's still mostly a fighter-type...

rty275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: March 15, 2011, 12:13:04 am »

Would ya believe that I'm joining about a hundred 3.5 games tonight and I wasn't creative enough to make up a hundred dwarf warblade names?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: March 15, 2011, 12:15:43 am »

Not really.

Although I can understand cheating the first role, and as long as you are at it you might as well skip the second and third, but I quite liked the fourth and fifth role. 19 just seems a tad excessive.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 15, 2011, 12:17:59 am »

If you give me a crash course of hamachi and maptools as we do battle, I accept. Does midnight GMT tomorrow work for you?
I still have to forward my ports for maptools, so it'd probably take place on Gametable (I can upload a .rar file with my version). It's mainly for the grid system, so you wouldn't need to get too familiar with the program. I get home an hour after the time you suggested, so how about 2:00 AM GMT Wednesday? I suppose you'll have to make some actual rolls first, though, so we'll have to wait on that.

Big long post
I think a single level in Warblade doesn't detract much from it, considering that I only get 4 maneuvers total, spending 3 feats to get them.

On the Mystic Shield item, I thought that looked fishy. Looking back at my old sheet, it turns out what I bought instead was a 4-charge per day magic item with the spell on it at CL 20. Only good-aligned Warforged Juggernauts could use it, so that reduced the cost by 30% down to 161,280gp. Easily affordable that way, and that's still 80 minutes of protection as a standard action.

On the Sharn stuff... I'm not actually a Sharn. I just emulated the Independent Action and Weapons extraordinary abilities. Independent Actions allows me to take three separate actions and a move action, or a full-round action and a move action, or a full-round action and a separate standard action, each round. Weapons is a weirdly written ability that seems to grant the Sharn the ability to wield 9 weapons that are smaller than usual. With monkey grip, that's still 9 Awl Pikes with which to beat the crap out of everything that moves.

...wait, how do you get an ancestral weapon when you don't have ancestors? One of those crazy-ass things, I guess; god knows there are plenty.
I got it from my ancestors. Older warforged. It never specifies genetic ties.

Did I mention that this character has Improved Dragon Wings and all the feats required to fly at impossible speeds in heavy armor?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

rty275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: March 15, 2011, 12:31:57 am »

Alright. Actual rolls under a new name (for added certaintity) coming right up.
Stats
Would ya believe I rolled better?
HP
Well, at least on stats I did.

Also, Wednesday 2:00 GMT may work for me. 2:30 or 3:00 would probably be better.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 15, 2011, 12:34:03 am »

On the Mystic Shield item, I thought that looked fishy. Looking back at my old sheet, it turns out what I bought instead was a 4-charge per day magic item with the spell on it at CL 20. Only good-aligned Warforged Juggernauts could use it, so that reduced the cost by 30% down to 161,280gp. Easily affordable that way, and that's still 80 minutes of protection as a standard action.
That makes much more sense. It's also dispellable, of course, but that's one less spell he has to mess up your day with.

On the Sharn stuff... I'm not actually a Sharn. I just emulated the Independent Action and Weapons extraordinary abilities. Independent Actions allows me to take three separate actions and a move action, or a full-round action and a move action, or a full-round action and a separate standard action, each round. Weapons is a weirdly written ability that seems to grant the Sharn the ability to wield 9 weapons that are smaller than usual. With monkey grip, that's still 9 Awl Pikes with which to beat the crap out of everything that moves.
How do you emulate another creature's extraordinary abilities? Polymorphing is out, thanks to Archetypal Shape, and the only other thing I can think of is the Sarruhk's Manipulate Form, i.e. the thing that makes Pun-Pun work.

...wait, how do you get an ancestral weapon when you don't have ancestors? One of those crazy-ass things, I guess; god knows there are plenty.
I got it from my ancestors. Older warforged. It never specifies genetic ties.

Did I mention that this character has Improved Dragon Wings and all the feats required to fly at impossible speeds in heavy armor?
...Isn't that a draconic ancestry feat or something? I guess they forgot to specify "must have been a living creature at one point" in the prereqs. But hey, that's what batshit crazy optimization is all about.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: March 15, 2011, 05:14:09 am »

Oh man I'm glad I'm not in the group with rty, that's the funniest thing I've seen in a long time.  16 stat scums?

Also, apparently you're not aware that player characters don't roll for health first level.  They automatically get the full HD value plus constitution.
Shoes...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: March 15, 2011, 07:48:24 am »

Quote from: Vanigo
Quote from: Barbarossa the Seal God
That makes much more sense. It's also dispellable, of course, but that's one less spell he has to mess up your day with.
Greater Dispel Magic is a 6th level spell, my friend.

Quote from: Vanigo
How do you emulate another creature's extraordinary abilities? Polymorphing is out, thanks to Archetypal Shape, and the only other thing I can think of is the Sarrukh's Manipulate Form, i.e. the thing that makes Pun-Pun work.
Well, that's exactly how I got the Independent Action ability. We banned infinite loops, so there was only one way to actually have this work. The albino high priest of the Sarrukh, Pi'it'lith, has a slightly nerfed form of the ability that can only be used once on a creature and never to grant Manipulate Form, It can only be used on a scaled one, but that's why I got a yuan-ti tail graft. To pull this off I actually did have to prove that I could by fighting him and threatening him with death if he wouldn't grant me that ability. Good times. Pun-Pun used the ability of the standard Sarrukh that has no such restrictions.

Quote from: Vangi
...Isn't that a draconic ancestry feat or something? I guess they forgot to specify "must have been a living creature at one point" in the prereqs. But hey, that's what batshit crazy optimization is all about.
I qualify for the Dragonblood subtype because I took the Dragontouched feat. That feat requires you to [either be descended from dragons or have a spiritual connection to them in some way. This particular warforged worships Siberys, the dragon above.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:42:24 pm by Barbarossa the Seal God »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

rty275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: March 15, 2011, 08:13:17 am »

You guys do realize that there were 4 pages right? Also I've had some DM's make me roll on first level. Even if we aren't, better safe than sorry.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2011, 09:35:27 am »

Okay, Hamachi group is up

Network: Fading North

Password: B12

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2011, 11:32:00 am »

Also I've had some DM's make me roll on first level. Even if we aren't, better safe than sorry.

How horrid, those extra couple hp is the only thing that keeps heroes from the monsters. Also four pages of what?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2011, 12:02:44 pm »

You guys do realize that there were 4 pages right? Also I've had some DM's make me roll on first level. Even if we aren't, better safe than sorry.

Rolling a 4 for a guy with d12 HD is hardly what I'd call safe.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2011, 12:04:33 pm »

Wow, warblades get d12? Who did they blow?

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 15, 2011, 12:23:56 pm »

Probably the same guy who gave them an ability to deal 11d6+12 damage at level 3. Yes, 11d6.
Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 15, 2011, 01:10:13 pm »

How's that, I have having issues seeing how to get it above say, 5d6. At least without massive cheesiness. If you are going that way you might as well say that for every class.

Edit: Found another 2d6, but still nothing special.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:22:03 pm by Criptfeind »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 36