Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36

Author Topic: (D&D 3.5ed) Fading North (Always recruiting)  (Read 31157 times)

rty275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (D&D 3.5ed) Fading North (Always recruiting)
« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2011, 01:07:56 am »

Can the Tome of Battle and the warforged race be allowed?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2011, 01:09:01 am »

Since I just made a character using the ToB, I would give that first one a tentative yes.

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2011, 01:18:05 am »

So what will we be using to communicate during our gaming? also, I've been sigged. I approve of this.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2011, 01:19:41 am »

Note that this campaign will be using maptools and hamachi.

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2011, 01:21:29 am »

I'm assuming the latest version, if I'm wrong correct me, please.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2011, 01:23:17 am »

Oh jeez, hamachi?  :s

Hamachi consistently makes my internet act up.  I guess I can give it one last chance though.
Shoes...

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2011, 02:21:16 am »

Are these optimized wizards we are talking about?
Well, no. Technically it was a Whisper Gnome Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7/ Incantatrix 10/Wizard 3.

Well yes, I as well like to role play, but also power game.
Welcome to the Rolepower Playgaming club, Criptfeind. I like a good story, but I can't deny the fun of creating and using an optimized character. That's what motivated me to make my character this way. With the kind of limits I put on it, I can optimize all over the place and still not be too broken compared to all the new players to participate in the story alongside.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Atomicdremora

• Bay Watcher
  • I GM out of love.
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2011, 05:36:27 am »

Meh, I play for fun, not algorithms.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2011, 06:38:13 am »

Are these optimized wizards we are talking about?
Well, no. Technically it was a Whisper Gnome Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7/ Incantatrix 10/Wizard 3.
You... can't do that. IotSFV7/Inx10/Wiz3, I mean. Not unless you're using a race that gives you two levels of wizard casting off the bat, anyway, which would obviously be an LA race, and make this an epic character.
Also, that sounds like a hell of a story. If I was going to set up a spellcaster specifically to beat down fighters, IotSFV is the first place I'd look. What did you do, stall like mad every time he put up a veil? That and surprise are the only ways I can think of to get around a reactive violet veil as a fighter. Unless he was dumb enough to start throwing quickened spells at you, anyway.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2011, 08:46:10 am »

It was something like that, not sure of the exact numbers. I'll I'm sure of is that he had those three classes, and IotSFV was level 7.

What did you do, stall like mad every time he put up a veil? That and surprise are the only ways I can think of to get around a reactive violet veil as a fighter. Unless he was dumb enough to start throwing quickened spells at you, anyway.
There's an item called the Sevenfold Veil that makes you immune to one of the prismatic effects, it only costs 63,000 to buy all seven colors, making you entirely immune to such things as a prismatic sphere. Needless to say he was pretty frustrated. I had something like evasion for every type of save, all my saves were based on Concentration, I was immune to almost every type of damage except for straight melee damage, and most notably I was Warforged. That gave me some pretty sweet bonuses. With Warforged Juggernaut 5 I gained the ability to be immune to all those instant death effects like Disintegrate and all that. With a shield enchanted with Mystic Shield as a constant effect, I was immune to all spells of 6th level or lower.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

rty275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2011, 08:58:35 am »

I'm going for a Diamond Mind, Iron Heart warforged warblade. It seems so fitting, while still being really powerful.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 09:10:51 am by rty275 »

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2011, 09:46:21 am »

There's an item called the Sevenfold Veil that makes you immune to one of the prismatic effects, it only costs 63,000 to buy all seven colors, making you entirely immune to such things as a prismatic sphere. Needless to say he was pretty frustrated.
Bahaha that's hilarious. Forgot about those things. Kind of a... specialized thing to put seven item slots towards, though, especially since if I recall correctly the things are mostly geared towards casters. That's, what, head, face, belt, cloak, arms, shirt, necklace? Kinda gimps you in any other situation. I assume you got this stuff just to kill him and didn't use it for anything else?
I had something like evasion for every type of save, all my saves were based on Concentration, I was immune to almost every type of damage except for straight melee damage, and most notably I was Warforged. That gave me some pretty sweet bonuses. With Warforged Juggernaut 5 I gained the ability to be immune to all those instant death effects like Disintegrate and all that.
Actually, disintigrate isn't a save-or-die, it's just a save-or-lots-of-damage. And it works fine on constructs. You do get a ton of nice immunities from Warforged Juggernaut, but how'd you get energy damage immunity? That's tough to come by, pre-epic, especially if most of your item slots are already accounted for. (It would be hilarious if this guy could take down a decently-built caster with an intelligent spell selection, but a stupid blasty-flying mage could take him down no problem.)
(By the way, when you say concentration, you mean constitution, right? Didn't know there was a way to do that for reflex saves.)
With a shield enchanted with Mystic Shield as a constant effect, I was immune to all spells of 6th level or lower.
WTFBroken. I don't know where mystic shield is from, but judging from the globe of invulnerability spells, it's got to be ninth level. And a ninth level spell as a constant effect on an item? You just don't do that pre-epic, especially if the original spell lasted 1 round/level, which I certainly hope it did. I mean, that comes to what, 612,000 gold, just by the spell level*caster level*2000 thing? Way over the 200k limit.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:03:29 am by Vanigo »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: March 14, 2011, 11:14:42 am »

On the topic of playing style, I rarely do anything but DM.  I can usually roleplay as the DM, but for some reason when I get around to playing I get uncomfortable.  I don't read guides for optimizing, but I usually try to make the best choices I can for my characters on my own knowledge and intuition.
Shoes...

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: March 14, 2011, 11:24:15 am »

I'm going for a Diamond Mind, Iron Heart warforged warblade. It seems so fitting, while still being really powerful.

No warforged. I should have said that earlier...

rty275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: March 14, 2011, 12:00:10 pm »

How about the Goliath race?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 36