Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36

Author Topic: (D&D 3.5ed) Fading North (Always recruiting)  (Read 31086 times)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (D&D 3.5ed) Fading North (Always recruiting)
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2011, 03:17:57 pm »

I'm pretty sure Valinite is broken. A DC 18 save-or-lose on every hit? For 800 gold? Yes please.

fixed it. :P
No, you didn't. It'd be broken at 22,000 gold. You may not be remembering this correctly, but dazed is "you don't take any penalties to defense, but you can't take any actions". You fail a save against this, and you're out of the battle completely. Compare this to the dagger of venom. The dagger of venom only works once a day, and the poison it inflicts is significantly less dangerous, and it's still 6,000 gold over the cost of a normal +1 dagger. Valinite could be a +5 weapon ability and it'd still be a damn tempting option. You have to weaken it. A lot. Something like this, maybe:
-Only piercing and slashing weapons may be made of valinite
-Valinite items have half the hit points of steel and 5 hardness
-Valinite weapons have -2 to hit and deal -2 damage
-Valinite    Injury DC 10      Initial Damage: sickened (10 minutes)   Secondary: 1d4 Con
That's about the limit of how good a nonmagical, permanently poisoned weapon can get, I think. It's still incredibly vicious against anyone who can't make the saves consistently - con damage is nasty, especially repeatable con damage - but the DC is low enough that many opponents can shrug it off, especially at the levels where you're getting multiple hits a round. Only working once a day on any given opponent is an option worth considering, but (aside from being pretty unprecedented on a nonmagical poison) if it's going to still be of any use to assassins you have to make it potentially lethal in one hit, and save-or-die effects are not something to throw around lightly at low levels.
If you don't mind radically altering the symptoms, you could change it to something more like this:
-Only piercing and slashing weapons may be made of valinite
-Valinite items have half the hit points of steel and 5 hardness
-Valinite weapons have -2 to hit and deal -2 damage
-Valinite    Injury DC 14      Initial Damage: -4 to fortitude saves against poison (including this one) for 10 minutes   Secondary: 1d4 Dex
-Valinite poisoning takes effect before any other poisons delivered with the same strike
This would be a) not too broken, b) useful for assassins because it makes other poisons deadlier, and c) not useless at higher levels.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 03:21:33 pm by Vanigo »

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2011, 04:24:58 pm »

Actually, now that I'm actually taking a good look at those materials, most of them are seriously overpowered.

I don't know why chivardium is cheaper than adamantine; it's almost strictly superior even without the metal-melting trick. (Which really really really needs a save associated with it. Or, better yet, to die. Balance issues aside, if you're fighting someone with a chivardium shield, how would you decide if your sword hit the shield on any given strike?)

Flux iron is fucking crazy - do you have any idea how good force damage is? Hint: it is the best kind of damage in the game, bar none. It is strictly superior to absolutely fucking everything. Nothing is immune (except for one epic-level dragon and maybe a couple gods). Nothing resists it. It ignores incorporeality and etherealness. It ignores damage reduction. It is worth way the hell more than 500 gold. (Also, 'force damage' is not, strictly speaking, a real thing. It's 'damage from force effects'. This is why there's no such thing as force resistance - it's not an energy type.)
Even if you take out the ability to be force-infused it's pretty ridiculous. Dealing fire or cold damage is nice, and certainly worth more than 500 gold, but it's not too crazy; damage reduction isn't much more common than fire and cold resistance. Electric and acid damage are better, but not by too much. Sonic, though? Sonic damage is the king of energy damage. Sonic resistance is almost nonexistent, which is why sonic damage is always more expensive.
The armor options are also outrageously underpriced. Have you even looked at how much energy resistance costs? Enchanted armor of energy resistance, which gives resistance 10 to the appropriate energy type, costs 18,000 gold. That's more than ten times what you'd pay for a suit of flux iron medium armor. Just kill this metal; I'm pretty sure it's unsalvageable.

Green steel is fine, except for the critical threat range thing, which is completely ridiculous. There are threat range increasing effects. There's the Improved Critical feat, which you have to be at least 8th level to take. There's the keen edge spell, which is third level and lasts for less than an hour when you first get it. There's the keen weapon ability, which is fairly affordable at a +1 equivalence (minimum price 8,000 gp).
This is better than any of them. Oh, and none of those stack with each other, which green steel appears to do. And it costs 850 measly gold pieces. You want to know what other material has critical-enhancing properties? Solarian truesteel. It gives you a +1 bonus on your critical threat confirmation roll. This is a small bonus, and the metal has a correspondingly small cost: 1,000 gp. Increasing a weapon's critical threat range, on the other hand, is a major bonus, and this has an even smaller cost.

Amber looks okay - it's not as good as mithril unless you're an arcane spellcaster, so, fine. Cardoly coral is probably somewhat underpriced, but not too badly. I think there's an existing material that does that, actually, but the place to look would be in Stormwrack, which I don't have. Morophot bark has one of those oddball bonuses that don't come up much.

The other problem you have is that you've forgotten one important fact: Special armor materials often give bigger bonuses when you make heavier armor out of them, but the ones that do always cost more for heavier armor. Even the ones that don't often cost more. It's just common sense; 50 pounds of metal for a suit of full plate is bound to cost more than 25 pounds for a chain shirt. Usually medium armor costs twice as much as light armor, and heavy armor costs three times as much.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:02:16 pm by Vanigo »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2011, 05:37:49 pm »

I wish we could start this today.

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
  • The not quite as great as Toady or Three toe
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2011, 09:22:30 pm »

Actually, now that I'm actually taking a good look at those materials, most of them are seriously overpowered.

I don't know why chivardium is cheaper than adamantine; it's almost strictly superior even without the metal-melting trick. (Which really really really needs a save associated with it. Or, better yet, to die. Balance issues aside, if you're fighting someone with a chivardium shield, how would you decide if your sword hit the shield on any given strike?)

Flux iron is fucking crazy - do you have any idea how good force damage is? Hint: it is the best kind of damage in the game, bar none. It is strictly superior to absolutely fucking everything. Nothing is immune (except for one epic-level dragon and maybe a couple gods). Nothing resists it. It ignores incorporeality and etherealness. It ignores damage reduction. It is worth way the hell more than 500 gold. (Also, 'force damage' is not, strictly speaking, a real thing. It's 'damage from force effects'. This is why there's no such thing as force resistance - it's not an energy type.)
Even if you take out the ability to be force-infused it's pretty ridiculous. Dealing fire or cold damage is nice, and certainly worth more than 500 gold, but it's not too crazy; damage reduction isn't much more common than fire and cold resistance. Electric and acid damage are better, but not by too much. Sonic, though? Sonic damage is the king of energy damage. Sonic resistance is almost nonexistent, which is why sonic damage is always more expensive.
The armor options are also outrageously underpriced. Have you even looked at how much energy resistance costs? Enchanted armor of energy resistance, which gives resistance 10 to the appropriate energy type, costs 18,000 gold. That's more than ten times what you'd pay for a suit of flux iron medium armor. Just kill this metal; I'm pretty sure it's unsalvageable.

Green steel is fine, except for the critical threat range thing, which is completely ridiculous. There are threat range increasing effects. There's the Improved Critical feat, which you have to be at least 8th level to take. There's the keen edge spell, which is third level and lasts for less than an hour when you first get it. There's the keen weapon ability, which is fairly affordable at a +1 equivalence (minimum price 8,000 gp).
This is better than any of them. Oh, and none of those stack with each other, which green steel appears to do. And it costs 850 measly gold pieces. You want to know what other material has critical-enhancing properties? Solarian truesteel. It gives you a +1 bonus on your critical threat confirmation roll. This is a small bonus, and the metal has a correspondingly small cost: 1,000 gp. Increasing a weapon's critical threat range, on the other hand, is a major bonus, and this has an even smaller cost.

Amber looks okay - it's not as good as mithril unless you're an arcane spellcaster, so, fine. Cardoly coral is probably somewhat underpriced, but not too badly. I think there's an existing material that does that, actually, but the place to look would be in Stormwrack, which I don't have. Morophot bark has one of those oddball bonuses that don't come up much.

The other problem you have is that you've forgotten one important fact: Special armor materials often give bigger bonuses when you make heavier armor out of them, but the ones that do always cost more for heavier armor. Even the ones that don't often cost more. It's just common sense; 50 pounds of metal for a suit of full plate is bound to cost more than 25 pounds for a chain shirt. Usually medium armor costs twice as much as light armor, and heavy armor costs three times as much.

Not gonna lie, I was REALLY drunk when I did the special materials.

I'll have to remove them for now.

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2011, 09:32:41 pm »

Now I can't help but see them all as the product of some plastered mage screwing with normal metals. Thanks.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2011, 09:34:22 pm »

Now I can't help but see them all as the product of some plastered mage screwing with normal metals. Thanks.

It's a funny mental image though

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2011, 09:35:35 pm »

If I was to join this, can I take a class from the book of nine swords?

Fun and easy to play, my brain resources are too tied up now a days to make a wizard.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2011, 09:35:59 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth, and DK2 Rule !!

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2011, 09:44:58 pm »

If I was to join this, can I take a class from the book of nine swords?

Fun and easy to play, my brain resources are too tied up now a days to make a wizard.

sure

ragnarok97071

• Bay Watcher
  • /人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕人\
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2011, 09:51:39 pm »

Battle for Wesnoth, and DK2 Rule !!
Yes they do.
But Legend of Dragoon for the PS1 is better. Seriously. That game is amazing. Try it if you get the chance.
Quote from: Wing, via Discord
I want a coat that doesn't make me look like a rear admiral from the East India Company

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2011, 09:57:12 pm »

I own to copies of legend of Dragoon  :P I thought I was the only one who still owned a copy,and right  now I am playing battle of wesnoth

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2011, 10:11:05 pm »

Were is the campaign starting?

Also to be clear, when you say that this game is going to concentrate on the northlands, you mean this whole area is the northlands and not just the places on the northern part of the map?

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2011, 10:18:08 pm »

Were is the campaign starting?

Also to be clear, when you say that this game is going to concentrate on the northlands, you mean this whole area is the northlands and not just the places on the northern part of the map?

The whole area is the northlands.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2011, 10:18:51 pm »

And the starting area?

moghopper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2011, 10:20:55 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 36