Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Spooky Empty Town.  (Read 4194 times)

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
Spooky Empty Town.
« on: March 12, 2011, 08:40:30 am »

Did the last version have spooky towns with no one in them, that still had many shops filled with goods (and no shopkeepers)?

I've seen many spooky empty castles, or cursed ones with infinite wrestler guards, but I've never seen towns behave this way before. There are over a dozen shops in this town, and none of them have shopkeepers in them. No. It is not nighttime. I found one lone citizen in a non-shop building, but other than that the place is a dead zone.

Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

em312s0n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Spooky Empty Town.
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 09:36:44 am »

Did the last version have spooky towns with no one in them, that still had many shops filled with goods (and no shopkeepers)?

I've seen many spooky empty castles, or cursed ones with infinite wrestler guards, but I've never seen towns behave this way before. There are over a dozen shops in this town, and none of them have shopkeepers in them. No. It is not nighttime. I found one lone citizen in a non-shop building, but other than that the place is a dead zone.

imagine the horror i felt when i saw a human town filled with elves

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
  • amusing ourselves to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 10:10:41 am »

I've been in this town, Facedrank, in the middle of freezing tundra. There are children everywhere. All orphans, exept a few grownups (mostly shopkeepers) who survived the terrible famine that struck this town 50 years ago.

I don't know if Toady would consider this caused by a bug, but I think such disasters are so making this game awesomely unpredictable.

Deviled

• Bay Watcher
  • Yup
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 11:03:55 am »

I've seen empty castles a couple of times.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 02:00:06 pm »

I once saw an empty hamlet.
There was no one.
All I found in houses was obsidian.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 03:17:35 pm »

I once saw an empty hamlet.
There was no one.
All I found in houses was obsidian.

I have seen these. It was the "The many many shops, with no one watching them" that is throwing me. They are full of stuff that I took without getting branded as thief for life. (one shop in the lower corner of the complex seemed to be on the next town's worldtile and I got branded a thief when I tried to take stuff from there. No once chased me however, as no one was around.

I've been in this town, Facedrank, in the middle of freezing tundra. There are children everywhere. All orphans, exept a few grownups (mostly shopkeepers) who survived the terrible famine that struck this town 50 years ago.

I don't know if Toady would consider this caused by a bug, but I think such disasters are so making this game awesomely unpredictable.

Hm. This could be what happened. If that's the case I'm not saying it's a "buy" exactly, but it surely is unexpected.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

NewsMuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 09:39:20 pm »

It's a bug because there are no corpses.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2011, 04:27:44 am »

I'd go with bug on this, but I look at this bug in a positive light,  Since they're not technically razed/ruins/Wilderness you can retire your adventurer, instead of starving like you'd expect.

Just think, if you survive your first couple quests without hirelings (do peasants still join you once you're known enough?)  You can take over one of the empty fortresses,  I mean I haven't tested to see if  items get scattered if you leave em in one of those places or not. 

main point of my post is the "hey I can retire in an empty fortress/town! I can make a town of adventurers!"

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2011, 06:29:02 am »

I'd go with bug on this, but I look at this bug in a positive light,  Since they're not technically razed/ruins/Wilderness you can retire your adventurer, instead of starving like you'd expect.

Just think, if you survive your first couple quests without hirelings (do peasants still join you once you're known enough?)  You can take over one of the empty fortresses,  I mean I haven't tested to see if  items get scattered if you leave em in one of those places or not. 

main point of my post is the "hey I can retire in an empty fortress/town! I can make a town of adventurers!"
Ahh... Yes. I once intended to make a fortress of adventurers, but I lost where the fortress was.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2011, 07:46:11 am »

Ahh... Yes. I once intended to make a fortress of adventurers, but I lost where the fortress was.

That... that's a great idea!
[/quote]

SanusCompleo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 11:15:38 am »

New poster reporting in for first-time duty, I've generated three different worlds to find many empty fortresses, but this is the first time I've found an empty town... A sprawling metropolis.  Somewhere along the lines of a 12x12 square of city... with not a soul to wander it's streets.  I found it extremely odd, obviously.  I thought perhaps the citizens were just out to lunch, as I was at a shop -- to sell goods from my recently successful hunt.  Well, deciding that I might as well, I rested inside of the shop but... I found myself outside of it, a good ways when I awoke.  Which means someone moved me while I was sleeping.  :I.  I find this terrifying, to be quite honest, and am going to look more into it via Legends mode, and if it is true that the city is abandoned, then I will start to repopulate it with adventurerers.  If for no reason other than selling this damn warthog hide.

SanusCompleo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 11:43:58 am »

Legends mode has shed some light on this mysterious city, (Groovegorge) but quite obviously not enough!  It began humbly as a simple fisherman's city along the river, with some modest farmlands yet... In the same year of it's founding, a bronze collosus, Spab Flewtargets came through and struck down three people.  Immediately after, three additional people stopped being their general professions, Angir Cluchsafety, Threbe Tuskmunches, and Anthath Frillnourished.  Apparently, they sought revenge and enacted in a murderous killing spree of horrorterrors across the realm, for eight years.  In the spring of b. 111 they confronted the collossus, and struck him down.  Nothing more is said about them in legends afterwards.

After all this, however, it seems that the city has been building bridges... everywhere.  Every other entry in legends only shows construction of bridges.  No notable deaths, and no-one stopping their profession.  Manual searching of the city shows no-one at all.  I believe even sneaking works inside of it, though I've yet to check.  Will return soon with added information.

EDIT: Odd note, it seems this particular world generated -hundreds- of forgotten beasts.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2011, 11:46:22 am by SanusCompleo »

Isa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 01:25:23 pm »

After all this, however, it seems that the city has been building bridges... everywhere.  Every other entry in legends only shows construction of bridges.  No notable deaths, and no-one stopping their profession.  Manual searching of the city shows no-one at all.  I believe even sneaking works inside of it, though I've yet to check.  Will return soon with added information.

Maybe it is a living city with an goal to merge with other cities dun dun dun!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2011, 01:58:58 pm »

I like how those three residents took it upon themselves to embark on a grand adventure to build up their strength before finally fighting and defeating the colossus. It's like a plot for a novel :P I could only guess that everyone else was left out of legends because they had done nothing to be admitted their place in the legends, which means killing something.

I've experienced this occasionally. Sometimes I find one resident in the entire town, and more often I find a normal town with one or more abandoned houses, while every other is over-crowded.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2011, 06:01:13 pm »

Sometimes when questioning about surroundings, they do answer with the name of a town that the Civilization abandoned. One of the many little presents Toady included
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration
Pages: [1] 2