Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

see above

Yes. It should be easily accesed and everyday stuff, like in nethack or A.D.O.M.
- 21 (9.6%)
Yes. It should be hard to access and not typical say the magic word and you shoot lightning magic.
- 137 (62.6%)
I don't really care.
- 13 (5.9%)
Only in the form of reactions.
- 24 (11%)
No.
- 24 (11%)

Total Members Voted: 219

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Do you think magic should be put into Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 11482 times)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think magic should be put into Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #90 on: April 14, 2011, 10:30:38 am »

Magic should be powerful, yet have a downside.

For example, a regeneration potion could regenrate limbs but reduce skills to 0 for a temporary time. So, it's not suited just for battle. When the regeneration debuff is over, your current skills dissapear and your old ones come back.

Possibly a random chance of various limbs growing in the wrong places?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 14, 2011, 12:00:21 pm »

Cancer? Causing highly accelerated cellular growth would probably increase chances of getting cancer by a huge amount.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: April 14, 2011, 12:17:29 pm »

Cancer? Causing highly accelerated cellular growth would probably increase chances of getting cancer by a huge amount.

And with the Genesis mod you may end up with a penis growing out of your forehead. That.... Would be strange...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 14, 2011, 12:56:53 pm »

And with the Genesis mod you may end up with a penis growing out of your forehead. That.... Would be strange...
What a dickhead!

*BA DUM TSH*
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 01:10:18 pm by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 14, 2011, 08:52:39 pm »

Magic should be hard to get, have NO mana bar, and eventually do awesome stuff. From fireballs to giant pillars of earth rising out of the ground and breaking every bone in your opponent's body.
Speaking of magic... you should be able to freeze water.

Urist McFrozendeath, legendary swimmer, is crossing a river.
It isn't winter. It's summer. But unfortunately for Urist... that kobold bandit knows the "freeze" spell.
You are deceased.

Personally, I think all games should allow you to get so adept at magic that you can lift entire cities out of the ground.

(LAGGGG)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: April 14, 2011, 09:11:40 pm »

Magic should be hard to get, have NO mana bar, and eventually do awesome stuff. From fireballs to giant pillars of earth rising out of the ground and breaking every bone in your opponent's body.

It isn't winter. It's summer. But unfortunately for Urist... that kobold bandit knows the "freeze" spell.
You are deceased.

Personally, I think all games should allow you to get so adept at magic that you can lift entire cities out of the ground.

(LAGGGG)

This is way too extreme for Dwarf Fortress.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 14, 2011, 10:22:51 pm »

You are deceased.

(LAGGGG)

This is way too extreme for Dwarf Fortress.

No such thing.

I like the idea of magic being really powerful but really hard to attain, altough magic, once learned or acquired, should be applicable in tons of different ways. I wait for the day I'll have a wizard in a tower hidden atop the mountains, sending out my magically altered giant batmen to kidnap helpless villagers so I can use them to make monsters, mindless servants, sacrifices, etc.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 15, 2011, 03:50:54 am »

I think I have an idea for where magic could be obtained.

A pyrimid shaped zone filled with various hostile creatures. The creatures get stronger as you acend the pyrimid. On the top level, there is an object that will let you use a spell (randomly generated, not cliched magic) guarded by a Guardian. The Guardian is pretty much a Forgotten Beast that can't be made out of stuff like steam or mud. The Guardian can cast the spell that the object permits. After you kill the guardian, you can get his magic item.

Magic items should have a non fatal side affect when you use them. A randomly generated one.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2011, 03:52:56 am by Angel Of Death »
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 15, 2011, 10:52:32 am »

<snip some stuff>
No such thing.

I like the idea of magic being really powerful but really hard to attain, altough magic, once learned or acquired, should be applicable in tons of different ways. I wait for the day I'll have a wizard in a tower hidden atop the mountains, sending out my magically altered giant batmen to kidnap helpless villagers so I can use them to make monsters, mindless servants, sacrifices, etc.

Wait.  You want magic so your dwarves can send out Wicked Witch of the West style flying monkeys to do the work of goblin snatchers?

Heh, I'm not quite sure what to think.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 15, 2011, 12:06:00 pm »

<snip some stuff>
No such thing.

Wait.  You want magic so your dwarves can send out Wicked Witch of the West style flying monkeys to do the work of goblin snatchers?

Heh, I'm not quite sure what to think.

They won't know either as I turn them into a giant bat elf cheese hybrid.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]