Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

see above

Yes. It should be easily accesed and everyday stuff, like in nethack or A.D.O.M.
- 21 (9.6%)
Yes. It should be hard to access and not typical say the magic word and you shoot lightning magic.
- 137 (62.6%)
I don't really care.
- 13 (5.9%)
Only in the form of reactions.
- 24 (11%)
No.
- 24 (11%)

Total Members Voted: 219

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Do you think magic should be put into Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 11502 times)

Asmageddon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: anime anime anime anime anime]
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think magic should be put into Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2011, 08:27:39 am »

I think it should not only be rare, but also pretty weak, with powerful magic reserved for dragons, daemons and other supernatural creatures.

Mages should be existent, and their magic should be strong, but only things like telekinesis, short levitation, inflicting pain upon others, perhaps hurling fireballs or summoning lesser ghosts or something, but nothing like flying, magic missiles and other abstract stuff.

There also shouldn't be mana, rather that mages can continually cast spells, usually needing preparation, and becoming tired because of this.
Ideal kind of magic would be something like in Tolkien books or The Witcher, perhaps even little rarer.
I don't need a signature.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2011, 12:48:29 pm »

It should be sort of like the first game.
Petrification, teleportation of body parts and all that.
With a chance of failing.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

m4davis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2011, 02:50:27 pm »

I think that there should be some sort of system to making places of magic for example if a legendary miner bleeds into a river it has a small chance of becoming magic and the more stuff like this happens the bigger the chance. and I should have some constant effect of people some being just a little thing like people feeling sick around it and big things like transforming body parts
« Last Edit: April 10, 2011, 01:38:21 pm by m4davis »

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2011, 03:04:02 pm »

I think that there should be some sort of system to making places of magic for example if a legendary miner bleeds into a river it has a small chance of becoming magic and the more stuff like this happens the bigger the chance.

Possibly making battle grounds haunted?

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2011, 09:18:57 pm »

I think that there should be some sort of system to making places of magic for example if a legendary miner bleeds into a river it has a small chance of becoming magic and the more stuff like this happens the bigger the chance.

In theory, the mechanics we have now already allow for haunted battlefields. Who's going to bury the corpses of those who fall at faraway battlefields during the Army Arc? Adventurers who venture there in search of the legendary sword of a fallen general will have to deal with the spirits of his angry forgotten retainers.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2011, 10:44:06 pm »

In theory, the mechanics we have now already allow for haunted battlefields. Who's going to bury the corpses of those who fall at faraway battlefields during the Army Arc? Adventurers who venture there in search of the legendary sword of a fallen general will have to deal with the spirits of his angry forgotten retainers.

I've been thinking of making a haunted fortress for a while. I've already had one demon-haunted fortress with great weapons trapped inside, it was quite memorable just retrieving some adamantine short swords and axes.

This just highlights the fact that magic is already quite present in Dwarf Fortress. Right now it's an untappable force of nature; the nature of the changes is making it more controllable, not inserting it. I support making it very difficult to control magic in the way we think of the archetypal wizard controls magic--fluidly, on command, and with great force--but I still hope there's a possibility of eventually doing so in-game. That way the bloody, chthonic, medieval feel of the world is retained while allowing for the occurrence of the truly spectacular.
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche

Mountain-King

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 10, 2011, 10:42:37 am »

My ideal magic system would be either very weak ("folk magic" type stuff - divination, curses, blessings, communicating with animals and supernatural creatures) or very strong (making a tornado, turning a valley into a lake, blighting the land, creating a forest, calling up the wrath of a god, etc.) with very little in the middle. Weak magic would be fairly common, but strong magic would be very rare. Like, you'd need to do a long ritual and either a lot of people or one legendary wizard and be in a magical location and maybe offer up a living sacrifice or hundred. And even then it would be extremely unpredictable.

Ahrimahn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 11, 2011, 12:12:44 am »

I think that adding magic in would be a good source of fun but put limits on it like if you do stuff that too powerful for your skill level you violently explode and several Daemons appear to rip you and either your party or the town you are in to pieces. or have it work like Warhammer and have wizards be always on the verge of murderous insanity and explodey daemon summoning.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 11, 2011, 12:16:52 am »

Magic should definatly have downsides. For example: fire bolt (if it's ever put in, which it probably won't be) would set an enemy ablaze but lower dodging stat by 1 level.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 11, 2011, 12:23:15 am »

Alchemy yes.  Hocuspocus fingerwriggling no.

Let dwarves use blood and animal bits and minerals and whatnot to create potions.

Soldiers with potions of steelskin made from hides, steel and blood, to make them nearly indestructable for a time in combat, or crafters with potions of Creativity to induce moods.  Hawkeye potions for archers.  Neural regenerative potions for wounded dwarves.  The list goes on and on.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 11, 2011, 08:52:35 am »

Let dwarves use blood and animal bits and minerals and whatnot to create potions.

Soldiers with potions of steel-skin made from hides, steel and blood, to make them nearly indestructible for a time in combat, or crafters with potions of Creativity to induce moods.  Hawk-eye potions for archers.  Neural regenerative potions for wounded dwarves.  The list goes on and on.

Oh please no potions! I'd be fine with a potion that would make you fight better but making you indestructible is going too far.

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 11, 2011, 09:11:25 am »

For potions, I'd say the same thing I tell people I GM for in pen and paper RPGs:

You want a potion that heals you up instantly in the middle of a battle?

Rocks fall.

Everyone dies.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 11, 2011, 09:25:41 am »

Soldiers with potions of steelskin made from hides, steel and blood, to make them nearly indestructable for a time in combat, or crafters with potions of Creativity to induce moods.  Hawkeye potions for archers.  Neural regenerative potions for wounded dwarves.  The list goes on and on.
NO, NO NO! That's way too powerful.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 11, 2011, 12:16:54 pm »

Possibly an adrenaline potion that would mimic the benefits of the dwarven martial trance?

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 11, 2011, 02:10:49 pm »

I said nothing about what drawbacks might be associated with potion use.

Potion use might drive a dwarf into a year-long recovery in the hospital where all they can do is eat, drink, and talk to the doctor.  A second potion use would kill them if they are not fully recovered from the first.

A regeneration potion to clear all bad effects on a badly crippled dwarf might also reduce their effective age, drop all of their skills to zero and rearrange their stats.  THEN they would need a year long recovery in the hospital before being able to be active again.

Perhaps give all potions a small chance of simply turning a dwarf into a maximum stats legendary wrestler in a berserker insane mood.  Or maybe making them explode and anyone that touches their blood has a chance of being affected by the potion.

Lots of FUN can be added to potion use.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7