Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

see above

Yes. It should be easily accesed and everyday stuff, like in nethack or A.D.O.M.
- 21 (9.6%)
Yes. It should be hard to access and not typical say the magic word and you shoot lightning magic.
- 137 (62.6%)
I don't really care.
- 13 (5.9%)
Only in the form of reactions.
- 24 (11%)
No.
- 24 (11%)

Total Members Voted: 219

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Do you think magic should be put into Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 11511 times)

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think magic should be put into Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2011, 05:17:32 pm »

magic would be awesome, especialy if it was rather very random and diverse. like smashing your enemy with an gigantic iron pillar you created of your very own body. or to be able to freeze water into epic weapons of doom. or to tear the flesh of your enemy with wind. also there should be something like that you need to be in good physical conditions in order to cast the spells at full power and you should become devasting should you either get enraged or go into an matrial trance. because magic doesnt cast itself: it needs some endurance and strength and maybe even agillity to be casten propperly.

Im cringing at this and other similar posts. I'm not disagreeing on how fun this would be, it is, but not for the one on the receiving end. What the hell is one suppose to the against all that? The guy who uses swords and armor is screwed. No matter how awesome of a warrior he is, he has physical limits. He has to get close to actually do anything, he has to obey gravity, his armor can only protect against physical attacks. While the magic user has no limits, just say the magic word and you can shoot lightning, cause earthquakes, fly, teleport, turn on your uber bubble shield that somehow makes you invulnerable. There's no solution except to use magic too and then it gets retarded from there.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2011, 05:40:19 pm »

There's no solution except to use magic too and then it gets retarded from there.

Don't sat retarded, its totally gay.

onart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2011, 10:19:21 am »

magic would be awesome, especialy if it was rather very random and diverse. like smashing your enemy with an gigantic iron pillar you created of your very own body. or to be able to freeze water into epic weapons of doom. or to tear the flesh of your enemy with wind. also there should be something like that you need to be in good physical conditions in order to cast the spells at full power and you should become devasting should you either get enraged or go into an matrial trance. because magic doesnt cast itself: it needs some endurance and strength and maybe even agillity to be casten propperly.

Im cringing at this and other similar posts. I'm not disagreeing on how fun this would be, it is, but not for the one on the receiving end. What the hell is one suppose to the against all that? The guy who uses swords and armor is screwed. No matter how awesome of a warrior he is, he has physical limits. He has to get close to actually do anything, he has to obey gravity, his armor can only protect against physical attacks. While the magic user has no limits, just say the magic word and you can shoot lightning, cause earthquakes, fly, teleport, turn on your uber bubble shield that somehow makes you invulnerable. There's no solution except to use magic too and then it gets retarded from there.

ofcourse the warrior will be able to resist the attack like for instance he can just dodge the attack or even block the attack. i dont see what is overpowered about magic: although it is strong an good warrior can defeat an apprentice mage.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2011, 11:08:07 am »

If magic was to be put into DF, I would hope it would be balanced. For example, the most hardened warrior of the lands facing the wisest mage would be an extremely close fight. Not Mr Mage clicks his fingers and Mr Warrior gets crushed under 999 tons of sand.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2011, 11:10:57 am »

If magic was to be put into DF, I would hope it would be balanced. For example, the most hardened warrior of the lands facing the wisest mage would be an extremely close fight. Not Mr Mage clicks his fingers and Mr Warrior gets crushed under 999 tons of sand.

Metric or Imperial tons?

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2011, 11:21:04 am »

Metric or Imperial tons?
Metric.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2011, 11:21:21 am »

I want my demon-worshipping goblin knight-priests to shoot fireballs by drinking the blood of their enemies, while the elven druids command legions of ferocious trees to wreck the dwarves' animated stone soldiers. Or maybe humans get golems, dwarves get enchanted weaponry? Whatever.
If I can have that, I'll be happy.

JohnnyDigs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2011, 06:29:23 pm »

ofcourse the warrior will be able to resist the attack like for instance he can just dodge the attack or even block the attack. i dont see what is overpowered about magic: although it is strong an good warrior can defeat an apprentice mage.

You can't just balance it by saying a warrior somehow resisted a lightning bolt, this game tries to mimic reality. You know what happens if you try to block a lightning bolt with a metal shield in real life?

The overtop D&D/MMORPG style of magic, that many people are suggesting, can't be balanced unless you give warriors magic too. Its usually magical gear and enchanted weapons that somehow make you invulnerable to elements or something like that.  If that's done then what was the point of all this?:
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Weapons#Weapons_as_tools
http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Metal#Weapon_.26_Armor_Quality

I'm fine with a little magic like in LOTR. All Gandalf ever did was shine a bright light and spoke harsh words that startled people. Mostly everything was done with swords and steel. And there was just one truly powerful item that turned you invisible, but it was cursed.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2011, 06:44:36 pm »

I'm fine with a little magic like in LOTR. All Gandalf ever did was shine a bright light and spoke harsh words that startled people. Mostly everything was done with swords and steel. And there was just one truly powerful item that turned you invisible, but it was cursed.

There were a lot more than besides the ring that were magical, just not as important. But overall I agree with you.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2011, 07:52:11 pm »

I voted 'Yes, but it sould be hard to access bla bla bla', but when I say hard to access, I mean like, to get magical powers you have to cut out a dragon's still-warm heart and eat it, or fight off a bronze colossus to perform evil rituals on their shrine, or sacrifice a few hundred babies, (Or kittens, works about the same) or track down some ancient artifact in the wilderness, with your only clue being some peasant telling you: 'My great-uncle Bob was a macician. In 214, he went mad in the blustery hills.', or somehow gaining the favour of a deity and being made their champion and imbued with great power, but only as long as you do exactly as they say, or you get crisped.
Er, yeah. Hard stuff like that. :D
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 06, 2011, 04:05:15 pm »

I think that there should be a scale from minor to major magic, and the ease of access should be inversely proportional to its magnitude; e.g., getting some water blessed to become holy water should be relatively easy, but becoming able to shoot laser eye beams that boil stone should be really, really hard.

Magic should have a source, and should be an extension of that source, not something discrete. For example, a deity might grant it's clerics the power to bless water, making it harmful to those the deity considers enemies, or an adventurer who spends too much time in a dragon's lair might gain a 'wealth sense'. It should also, however, be possible to define magic explicitly with modding, such as making *every* dragon have 'wealth sense', or making a 'midan' creature that turns every solid material it touches to gold.

Magic should be able to be beneficial, harmful, or both. 'Wealth Sense' might more specifically be the user not seeing less valuable objects unless they look very carefully.

Tsukana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 06, 2011, 04:40:42 pm »

Or 'wealth sense' could be, in the barter screen, being able to judge roughly how much something is worth to the person you're trading with, since NPCs are getting the ability to lie.

Which in turn will probably lead to them scamming you.

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 07, 2011, 11:13:38 am »

It was just an example, but I don't think that 'see how much it's worth to the person you're talking to' is particularly dragon-y. I was imagining it as some sort of urge that drives you to hoard items with high value, and that disregarding low-value items was a way to make that inconvenient without interfering much in player agency.

Tsukana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 07, 2011, 02:01:32 pm »

So a more appropriate term would be Greed.

Capitalized for magic.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 08, 2011, 01:48:32 pm »

Alternatively, 'wealth sense' could be one's ability to locate places where the most monetary value exists. Dragons would obviously use it to satiate their greed, and you could also use it to simply go where you'll find adventure
Ruined dwarven fortress of Rumor, south east, very far - 59453091*
City of Amakabash, north, a day or two - 8467323*
Hamlet of Ritegolver, a short walk south - 15674*
Your lair, here - 39652*

That sort of mod-able or subtle, difficult to use magic that can also work as a curse would be great.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7