Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

see above

Yes. It should be easily accesed and everyday stuff, like in nethack or A.D.O.M.
- 21 (9.6%)
Yes. It should be hard to access and not typical say the magic word and you shoot lightning magic.
- 137 (62.6%)
I don't really care.
- 13 (5.9%)
Only in the form of reactions.
- 24 (11%)
No.
- 24 (11%)

Total Members Voted: 219

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Do you think magic should be put into Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 11496 times)

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
Do you think magic should be put into Dwarf Fortress?
« on: March 12, 2011, 02:32:01 am »

I personally think it should be put into the game, but it should be rare.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

rarborman

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Dungonmaster
    • View Profile
    • dice
Re: Do you think magic should be put into Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 02:37:36 am »

It is going to be put in...devlogs says as much.
"But to that second circle of sad hell, Where ‘mid the gust, the whirlwind, and the flaw Of rain and hail-stones, lovers need not tell Their sorrows. Pale were the sweet lips I saw, Pale were the lips I kiss’d, and fair the form I floated with, about that melancholy storm."

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 03:32:48 am »

It is going to be put in...devlogs says as much.
I know.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
  • amusing ourselves to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 04:57:56 am »

I believe there should be magic, not in forms of fireballs or ligtning bolts (people are getting sick of this crap anyways), but something like Voodoo magic maybe. Arcane stuff.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 04:59:40 am by Necalli »

Greep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 05:03:00 am »

Sick of fireballs? O.O

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2011, 05:26:57 am »

Sick of fireballs? O.O
You are struck by a ball of flames!
You feel sick!
You retch!
You retch!

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2011, 06:57:55 am »

Yes, I want to play a wizard and set everyone on fire. (In the form of fireballs and lightning bolts, something I'm not sick of already).

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 07:02:56 am »

OK ok, have your rainbow fireballs.
Gosh. :P

Chilton

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok Cultist - Calligrapher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 07:54:27 am »

I think it should be there, but as a very, very uncommon sight, and very hard to use. Otherwise the game could be a bit *too* fantasy-ish.
For example, only being able to cast certain spells in very certain conditions, from times of day to weather and health. Or even needing a ritual (I love that idea).
And in NPC's, very rare.

I like the idea of needing to be ritualistic though.
Sand + Your own blood = Blind/Damage Eyes
I Like To Think Of Myself As An Artist - I Create Masterpieces With My Tools Of Trade.

Shook

• Bay Watcher
  • ◦ ◡ ◦
    • View Profile
    • DeviantArt page
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 08:19:33 am »

Well, i think it would be pretty cool, but the potential for FUN (MEET ENEMY WIZARD --> LIGHTNING BOLT DEATH) is amazingly high. Therefore, it probably should be rather infrequent, but not like find-adamantine-armor-on-goblin-warlord infrequent. Hostile wizards should be rare and difficult opponents, obviously, but it'd be pretty cool if you didn't have to pull the sun closer to the planet in order to set people on fire. Even though that would be ridiculously dorfy.

But yeah, infrequent. A spellcasting axe lord in a martial trance would be horrifying, so physical and magical combat should probably be somewhat exclusive to each other. I'm excited to see what Toady has planned though. :P
Twitter i guess
also deviantART page
Quote from: Girlinhat
It may be worthwhile to have the babies fall into ring of fortifications or windows, to prevent anyone from catching and saving them.
[01:27] <Octomobile> MMM THATS GOOD FIST BUTTER

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 08:56:46 am »

I think it should be there, but as a very, very uncommon sight, and very hard to use. Otherwise the game could be a bit *too* fantasy-ish.
For example, only being able to cast certain spells in very certain conditions, from times of day to weather and health. Or even needing a ritual (I love that idea).
And in NPC's, very rare.

I like the idea of needing to be ritualistic though.
Sand + Your own blood = Blind/Damage Eyes

Agreed.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2011, 01:50:05 pm »

Maybe a form of magic? Pray to this religion in the game, and you get a types of magic. It can be passive, activated, or at certain times.
For example, if you pray to, lets say 'The River of Cyclops'
One passive effect is that you can swim regardless of skill for a certain amount of time, may train the skill or not, depends.
One active effect is you could gain super cyclops strength for a certain amount of time (Maybe sacrifice some health?)
One thing that can happen only when the moment is right is, lets say your getting your arse handed to you by that damn Giant Cave Spider. Oh noes! Your about to die! Whats this? OH SHIT! YOU TURNED INTO AN ENRAGED CYCLOPS!

Depending on how many followers, religion skill/magic skill you have is how powerful the effects are. For example, if its a very small religion only known to one town, you probably only get the active effect, and its very very little. Compared to a religion that everyone knows, may have more than one passive effect.
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

Kit temple

• Escaped Lunatic
  • The last elven miner.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2011, 01:54:56 pm »

Magic is not real, all dwarfs know this. Anyone who says otherwise is an elven trickster.

Dora Feddy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2011, 05:28:42 pm »

I thought magma was magic?

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2011, 07:47:18 pm »

It's a fantasy world generator, spells must be cast.  It should be a craft/skill.  As long as there's no "Mana Meter" or some such glowing blue bar to quantify how magical you currently are (Zelda, every other fantasy video game).  I never liked those.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7