Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

see above

Yes. It should be easily accesed and everyday stuff, like in nethack or A.D.O.M.
- 21 (9.6%)
Yes. It should be hard to access and not typical say the magic word and you shoot lightning magic.
- 137 (62.6%)
I don't really care.
- 13 (5.9%)
Only in the form of reactions.
- 24 (11%)
No.
- 24 (11%)

Total Members Voted: 219

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: Do you think magic should be put into Dwarf Fortress?  (Read 11499 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Do you think magic should be put into Dwarf Fortress?
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2011, 11:25:04 pm »

Take 1 bunny rabbit.  Teleport bunny rabbit's foot half an inch to the left.  Transmute blood of bunny rabbit to molten iron.  Change temperature of bunny rabbit's right eye to 2 kelvin below absolute 0.

That's the kinda stuff I see magic doing in the future.  After all, that's more or less how it worked in Armok 1. (well the teleport foot one...the other 2 didn't exist but were kinda along the theme of the other spells.)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2011, 01:24:59 am »

I want magic, but I want it to be subtle, and difficult to perform anything real powerful like causing real injury to an opponent. And I think it would be interesting if the magic used energy directly from your body, in the same way melee combat drains you, rather than be a separate and divine energy form as it is in most games. Maybe simpler forms of magic ought to be just tricks that increase your combat prowess, like dumping energy into your legs and nervous system to make you more agile and escape a fight or dodge better during it, or forcing wounds to heal, and things that occur solely within your own body or through direct contact of skin.
Essentially you're learning how to consciously control matter and energy within your body, without your body but contacting it, and then finally projecting energy and matter across open air/other mediums. Not a simple everyday thing, and difficult to learn, but still worth training it for when you're in a fix, or your friend is, all without it becoming a necessity or something you can live off of on it's own.

I would expect that allowing you to use racial abilities like fire-breath and spraying extracts, etc.. that your species has naturally as defined in the raws will come before magic.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 01:28:15 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2011, 02:50:00 am »

Take 1 bunny rabbit.  Teleport bunny rabbit's foot half an inch to the left.  Transmute blood of bunny rabbit to molten iron.  Change temperature of bunny rabbit's right eye to 2 kelvin below absolute 0.

That's the kinda stuff I see magic doing in the future.  After all, that's more or less how it worked in Armok 1. (well the teleport foot one...the other 2 didn't exist but were kinda along the theme of the other spells.)

I think it should be like this. I also think that you should have to inflict some form of harm on yourself as well with greater magic.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2011, 03:11:59 am »

It's yet another one of these threads licking the tip of the iceberg that is the magic discussions. Why don't you guys just use the search function (which is specific to the forum or thread you're in) to find the advanced ideas to improve and refine? Perhaps visiting Kohaku's threads on the matter as a starting point?
 It just feels like a waste to watch people posting near-verbatim of old posts and sentiments, except with less detail and less awareness.

Edit: I guess I should probably offer up some links. Here's the latest large magic thread, where NW_Kohaku focusing largely on basic life systems (flora and farming). Then there's two old threads I recall; an 11 page "'Magic versus Tech' Is Dumb" thread and an 8 page Metamagic thread, both of which start out rather wrong but get better.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 03:24:23 am by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2011, 04:18:18 am »

I do not care about whether or not magic exists, so long as Toady has a few simple things visible in the raws.
Namely, there needs to be a magic affinity tag, preferably with more of a scale than just some having no magic and others the same level of magic. So long as I can make it so that dwarves have no magic, it's alright with me.

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2011, 08:11:45 am »

I'd love magic. On one condition.

We can turn people to bismuth and rip out their aortas at the click of a finger.

Tsukana

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2011, 08:56:27 am »

Randomly.

Generated.

Magic.

Systems.

That is all.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2011, 10:13:01 am »

Spell name: The Smooth Conjuration of Flukes

Reagents needed: 2 kapok logs, 1 plump helmet, 1 green glass block

Range: 15 tiles

Effect: The target suffers a blunt attack to the upper body with a velocity of 1000 and a force of 40000, gets blisters on each foot for 5 days, and becomes pregnant with a horse foal.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

Necalli

• Bay Watcher
  • amusing ourselves to death
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2011, 10:45:30 am »

Randomly.

Generated.

Magic.

Systems.

That is all.

Yay for turning your opponents into half-elf-half-pigs and then raining down bolts of troll vomit upon them!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2011, 10:47:34 am »

Effect: The target suffers a blunt attack to the upper body with a velocity of 1000 and a force of 40000, gets blisters on each foot for 5 days, and becomes pregnant with a horse foal.

That last part would be a far more horrible thing to do to a bunny rabbit than I ever did to them in armok 1.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2011, 01:49:37 pm »

I think that magic spells should first be randomly generated, and to "unlock" them, you would have to study items imbued with magic, wether it be ancient, by modern wizards, aliens, or whatever. Perhaps civs would already have these, and the spells written down on scrolls in libraries.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2011, 02:16:50 pm »

Use of magic is for those with spindly little elf limbs that can't heft a good axe on their own.

Though I do kind of like the idea of them being done as reactions. Combine certain objects and commit a ritual to get the effect, that's fairly interesting actually.
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2011, 03:15:16 pm »

Use of magic is for those with spindly little elf limbs that can't heft a good axe on their own.

Though I do kind of like the idea of them being done as reactions. Combine certain objects and commit a ritual to get the effect, that's fairly interesting actually.

"Urist McMagician, cast a spell to kill that dreaded dragon before it eats us all!"
"Okay, hold on, does anybody have a spare kitten heart?"
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

UristMcDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2011, 06:12:54 pm »

YES.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2011, 07:13:54 pm »

YES.

I would not be adverse to this.

Anyway, aside from how I want magic to be done, given DF's track record and interviews with Toady it looks pretty likely that we'll have procedural, possibly subtle magic systems, decided on at worldgen. I think it would add a special flair to each world.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7