Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How do I get rid of OWNED food?  (Read 6181 times)

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do I get rid of OWNED food?
« on: March 11, 2011, 07:20:39 pm »

Drafted dwarves into military, they go get some food, I tell them not to carry food, they drop the food but they still own the food. No other dwarf can dump the food when it inevitably rots, and the owner-dwarf won't dump it himself. I tried walling it off, but it's everywhere and I can't see past the miasma.

Can anybody help?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How do I get rid of OWNED food?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 07:23:05 pm »

Wait for it to disappear.  You could magma it, but that's way more effort than it's worth.  If you've got DFHack, you can cast obsidian on it.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 07:34:30 pm »

Channel out the floor under it, then build a floor over the resulting hole.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 07:42:02 pm »

Give your military dwarves their own rooms and some free time and they'll store it there. At least that way it's contained.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 07:56:53 pm »

I think the problem may be a backpack shortage--I have a large military and almost no miasma problems, but I also have a baroness who keep demanding backpacks--if they can't store the food, they dump it right?
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 08:18:14 pm »

If they have a backpack, and are assigned to carry food, they put it in their backpack.
If they have no backpacks, and are assigned food, they'll leave it.
If they have a backpack and are assigned to carry food, they'll dump the food out of their backpack (still owned), and then drop the backpack on the ground.
If they have no backpacks and no assigned food, they'll go normally.

If they NEVER had food assigned to them, they'll never claim food.

My addy-clad champion has a backpack and food, but he never takes it off, and he eats from the pack instead of at a dining room at times.  I'll see him go somewhere hungry, then leave, and there's a plump helmet spawn on the ground.  Same with booze, he tends to use his flask more often than barrels.  So either A) don't assign food, or B) don't un-assign food.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Beyond the Wire Productions store
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 08:30:11 pm »

Yeah, if you're gonna assign them food, they need to be on-duty constantly or else they're gonna take off their backpacks and drop food around. You can give 'em chests in their rooms, and they'll store food there while off-duty, but I've never seen 'em go back for it -- rather they claim more food from the stockpiles, and the chests fill up, and before you know it your fort as turned into one of those horrible shows on TLC.
By the way, I design table top RPGs and other games. You can buy some.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 08:32:18 pm »

No, my off-duty soldier does fine.  As long as he's got "keep uniform on" option.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 08:34:04 pm »

Really? Maybe the dwarves that I saw do that were just miners/woodcutters/hunters in their off-duty time.

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 08:47:16 pm »

The problem is that if the dwarf owned the food, he would move it to the refuse pile. But even though it says he owns the food, it doesn't actually belong to him.

Marthnn

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything's possible
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 08:49:28 pm »

I had some problem with owned food when a child got totally blistered feet. He kept walking 3-4 tiles and passing out from extreme pain. He also had a constant fever.

Of course, the kid kept interrupting his eating and drinking "jobs". And guess what happened when he passed out while eating... Food dropped and forever left, untouched, to rot.

No, he didn't die from hunger. If he couldn't eat by himself, someone would bring him food.
Marthnn likes obsidian, steel, star ruby, goblin-cap wood, the color bloody red and giant desert scorpions for their tails. When possible, he prefers to consume sunshine. He absolutely detests cave blobs.

A dwarf wants to heal.  A dwarf is motivated to heal.  A dwarf is, by Armok, going to heal or die trying!  Because if he doesn't heal, he doesn't get alcohol.

Dreggon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 09:15:35 pm »

Approximately how long does it take for the food to rot away?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 09:15:53 pm »

It is actually owned food.  A dwarf claims food as theirs when they use it.  Next time a dwarf is eating, look at the food they're eating, it'll be "owned".  This is to prevent another dwarf from putting it back into the barrel as he's eating.  Just like socks and other owned items, only the owner may move it anywhere, and it won't go into public stockpiles because it's owned, even when it's rotting.  If they have a chest, which can store food apparently, they'll put owned food away, and if there was a building that stored refuse, they'd put rotting plants in there that they owned.  But, there isn't, so they don't.

Marshall Burns

• Bay Watcher
  • American Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 09:34:00 pm »

only the owner may move it anywhere

Unless the owner is dead and has a tomb (as distinct from a grave) with suitable containers in it. In that case, other dwarves will move it to his tomb for him.

As for how that's useful in this particular situation, well, I dunno...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 09:38:25 pm »

I've never had tombs, so I've never had that.  Nobles get a statue in their grave to boost value, but they get their burial rights revoked upon death and get shoved in a -fungiwood coffin- anyways.
Pages: [1] 2 3