Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Got my first spoiler spire today  (Read 1431 times)

Makbeth

• Bay Watcher
  • His lower body is melted.
    • View Profile
Got my first spoiler spire today
« on: March 11, 2011, 07:17:00 pm »

Was very excited for a second there.  Not only was there a short spire (and several others nearby), but this was a 4x4 with serene, untamed, and sinister surroundings, flux, iron, 2nd-level magma, etc.  It would have been perfect if not for my dwarves contracting spire syndrome.  The spires were all open, but nobody seemed interested in coming out to play.

Interesting to note though that I had no utilities open when this world was genned.  It was simply the fourth world in a series as I was tweaking rainfall and drainage variance/mesh size, as well as desired good/evil square count.  Nothing on the embark screen indicated unusual topography or cliff size, although I thought it kind of weird that the serene marsh didn't have an aquifer.

Whether the map loads on embark seems random, and the FPS runs at about 30 (Normally I don't drop below 100 FPS until I hit 30 dwarves), but the circus seems to contain a hovering underground lake, so that probably had something to do with it. 

My usual method for finding the best embark in a region tile is to load an 8x16, scout it with dfreveal, and pick a 5x5.  Somehow this worked for this world, although the unusually long loading time was my first indication that something was odd.  The areas adjacent to the 4x4 I picked had additional spires, none of them much taller than 20 levels above the surface, all of them open.  There were magma pipes breaching and flooding the circus, which seemed to destroy my FPS even while paused.  I chose the 4x4 that I did because it was the only place containing a spire that wasn't being inundated underground by magma.  Was really hoping that it would let me mine...

*sigh*

When setting values for desired good/evil, I set each of the six values to 4000 and tried to gen a world.  After several rejections with the message "Not enough entity placement locations" I lowered it to 2000.  Not sure if this can be reproed with those steps, but that's the only thing I can think of that was different this time.

If you feel like trying to repro this, let me know if this reliably generates spire worlds for you, and if you can get one without the spire syndrome occurring.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:29:14 pm by Makbeth »
Diso Faintpuzzles was born in 120.  Although accounts vary it is universally agreed that Diso was chosen by fate as the vanguard of destiny.

In the early spring of 143 Diso began wandering the wilds.

In the early spring of 143 Diso starved to death in the Horn of Striking.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
Re: Got my first spoiler spire today
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 09:36:24 am »

If you re-embark on the same location (assuming you kept a pre-embark save), do you get the same result?
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Im_Sparks

• Bay Watcher
  • Half man. Half machine. All messiah.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 02:38:46 pm »

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm returning to the game after a mega long-ass time. What is a spire? I searched the wiki but it yielded no pages.
Well treat me like the disease like the rats and the fleas, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Well treat me like the sea oh so salty and mean, A-ha-ha! A-ha-ha!
Let's shake hands if you want but soon both hands are gone, A-ha-ha!
Cut me down like a tree like the lumber or weeds, well discard who you please like the leaves off a tree. Drag me out of the sea and then teach me to breath. Give me forced health till I wish death on myself. Ah! Ha! Ha!
March on! March on! March on! March on! MARCH ON!

Liber celi

• Bay Watcher
  • council does your hair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 02:53:52 pm »

It's a very interesting geological structur composed of [spoiler metal], probably caused by a bug.
Or, half a dozen bugs.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2011, 03:32:47 pm »

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm returning to the game after a mega long-ass time. What is a spire? I searched the wiki but it yielded no pages.
I'm going to go ahead and put this in spoiler tags even though I shouldn't really have to since "spoiler" is in the title.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

silversurfer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2011, 07:50:06 pm »

I have found the best ever embark site with a spire and a volcano, flux sedimentary layer, some small lakes and a river I think...  I am in love with this embark site and want to use it in the new 3112 version.... Is this possible?