Yes; I used to drink but now I don't
- 7 (5.5%)
Yes; I've never consumed alcohol
- 40 (31.3%)
Yes; but only because I'm under age!
- 20 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Teetotalism  (Read 8046 times)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
Re: Teetotalism
« Reply #45 on: March 11, 2011, 01:43:39 pm »

It's funny; I can handle hard liquor like a champ but I've never been any good with carbonated stuff, so it took me years to adjust to beer, and it still gives me unwarranted dizziness and hiccups far past its alcohol level.
Exactly the same situation here.

I don't have a problem with (most) soda, so I can drink mixed drinks or straight liquor without a problem, but just about all beers make me feel strange after a single bottle. Belchy and bubbly in the ol' stomach.

I've gotten drunk a few times in my late teens, early 20's while overseas. Never been drunk since. I have a drink once in a long while, though.

LionSilverWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrodinger's Kit
    • View Profile
    • LionWolf Studio
« Reply #46 on: March 11, 2011, 02:25:32 pm »

My parents actually introduced me to alcohol (I'm american, this is weird... in the north). I've only been drunk twice, in the comfort of my own home and safely on the internet or with sane (also drunk) friends. Beyond that, I do like to drink, it's just a pleasant experience. I'm still 1.5 years off from being legal, but given the intro my folks provided (without the other knowing to boot) I don't really feel any pressure to go out and get drunk just to go and get drunk.
Why is this covered in blood?

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 11, 2011, 04:59:28 pm »

I drink. I'm definately a functioning alcoholic by now. I don't really mind though, being sober sucks.

I don't pressure or force anyone though of course, I can understand not everyone likes to drink. Though I'm surprised other people have the issues with beer I have too. I mostly just stick to cheap fortified wines.

Not thunderbird anyome though. I got tired of that stuff turning my mouth black.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 11, 2011, 05:00:39 pm »

I am a Teetotaler, but only for the tattoos.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 11, 2011, 05:02:59 pm »

I am a Teetotaler, but only for the tattoos.
You still eat? Loser!

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 11, 2011, 05:40:00 pm »

I'm nearly 26 and I've never had alcohol before.  Don't care for it.  I wasn't a lot of fun to be around during my college years.

Vigilant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 11, 2011, 05:53:02 pm »

I'm still (barely) underage (American) but I have no intentions of ever drinking.

It's just not something that appeals to me. I don't want to get drunk.

My college friends have tried their damndest to try to get me to drink, or even try it. I'm starting to think that my blatant teetotalism bothers them somehow, which is silly because I have absolutely no problem with other people drinking around me (as long as they aren't constantly drinking to excess)

Only alcohol I've ever drank was a sip of communion wine at my grandfather's funeral.

I just like being sober, and have no desire to get drunk to see if I might like that better. And I don't like the smell, so I reckon' I won't like the taste.

I don't smoke, either. Or drink coffee for that matter. I avoid soda if I have any other choices. I guess I'm just a boring guy.

I'm pretty much this guy ^

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 11, 2011, 05:56:15 pm »

I drink, a little bit, because I love the taste of many alcohol drinks. But I don't drink to get drunk, that's just stupid imo. I've had one drink too much sometimes though, and spent the rest of the day in a merry state.

I've never really seen wasted drunk people, and everybody in my family drink but reasonably (my family on my mother's side tend to go for the "a glass of red wine a day" attitude, and when on vacations with my family on my father's side, I recall that they spent quite some time after lunch talking about adult stuff and drinking while we kids played in the garden - we still have a huge collection of bottles in that family house). So I guess that may also have an effect on my attitude toward alcohol - I've never had any bad experiences with alcohol, but I know it can happen if you act immature with it, and otherwise alcoholic beverages have never been presented as a bad thing in themselves to me, only the attitude one can have toward it.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 11, 2011, 06:07:49 pm »

Wow. I'm the only one to vote yes, but I used to drink so far. Surprising. I did, in fact used to drink a fair amount. Only ever with friends or at dinner, and I've only been drunk twice, neither of which were terribly fun. But then I decided one day to just stop. It's expensive, even when you buy your own from the store. It has little not positive effects other than making everything funny. And I just prefer having all my wits about me. Don't get me wrong, I've had some great times with friends while drinking, but I'm just not really interested in it anymore. The only part that I get wistful about anymore is rum. I love rum. But since I rarely drank anyway, it doesn't pull at me that much.
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 11, 2011, 06:58:47 pm »

I wouldn't call myself a teetotaler, but I avoid alcohol for the most part.  I'm not against it or anything, though getting drunk has always struck me as really stupid and pointless.  I never understood the appeal.  That's not why I avoid alcohol, though.  I just can't stand the taste.  It's like a mixture of earwax and hydrochloric acid.  It tastes like poison.

I've not spent a lot of time around drunkards, but I've encountered lots of pressure from social drinkers to try things.  I oblige them.  I don't need to be all stonewall about it.  I'll try a sip of whatever they make me and tell them I don't like it.  They get all excited when they see me take that sip, and then act all confused and crestfallen when I tell them all I could taste was alcohol and it was putrid.  Like others in this thread, I don't understand why drinkers get so worked up about non-drinkers.  It really seems like they have some emotional investment in the issue.

There are two exceptions.  I used to hate coffee, too.  It tastes like chalk and ashes.  Then my wife put some Baileys in a cup of coffee for me.  That turned me right around.  Now I regret getting into it, because I've become dependent.  Somehow I've grown to love these two vile things when put together, but I'm sick of being addicted.  There's no point in the foreseeable future where I'll have the opportunity to be groggy and worthless for a couple weeks to break that, but I plan on it as soon as one arises.  The second exception, is I will have a really weak drink for my wife once in a while on major social occassions.  She gets a kick out of it, and I'm willing to do that for her.

I avoid soda, too, but only for health purposes.  That stuff is one of the biggest causes of health problems today.  I will have a soda once in a while when I'm at a friend's house or a restaurant, but that's it.

So basically I drink 2 or 3 potions of coffee/sugar/irish cream/piracetam a day, and then ice mountain water... because ice mountain is the only bottled water company I know of that uses reverse osmosis filtering, which I think is the only filtering method that removes flouride.

I'm wary of my kids, though.  They've both managed to get their hands on alcoholic drinks and promptly chugged them down.  I'm amazed at that, because I seriously felt like throwing up every time my dad let me try a sip of beer as a kid.  My 2 year old got his hands on a glass of whiskey that a friend of ours left on the table, and he drank the whole thing straight down.  Holy shit.  I tried a sip of it and wanted to die.  I'm really going to have to be careful about cultivating the right attitude towards alcohol with them, which will be tough when I'm not a drinker and don't understand the appeal.

Interesting note:

I am the only person I've ever met IRL that doesn't like alcohol.  If not for the internet, I would think I'm the only one.  Indiana is pretty drink crazed in general.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:23:50 pm by SalmonGod »
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 11, 2011, 07:02:52 pm »

Probably a drink a month on average, sometimes more, sometimes none.  On bad work nights, a drink + Left 4 Dead is more relaxing than Left 4 Dead alone.  Helps me focus less which is just what the doctor ordered sometimes.

I don't get drunk, and I don't drink around other people generally.  Keep me the hell away from sake, I don't know my limits with that stuff and I end up hitting on everyone in the room (and I mean everyone).
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2011, 07:03:43 pm »

Had a shot of Jack Dniels, a shot of Brugal, and two glasses of wine inad inner right now. So I geuss Im not
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2011, 07:05:36 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:32:47 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

LionSilverWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrodinger's Kit
    • View Profile
    • LionWolf Studio
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2011, 07:20:10 pm »

That's not why I avoid alcohol, though.  I just can't stand the taste.  It's like a mixture of earwax and hydrochloric acid.  It tastes like poison.

I'm especially sensitive to the taste of alcohol, I've had friends spike cocoa to a level where they couldn't taste the alcohol and it stood out like they'd put in a whole shaker of salt. Once I got past that, though, I managed to enjoy every other level of the taste. Yeah, alcohol tastes like poison but so do a lot of other things everyone imbibes daily XD
Why is this covered in blood?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2011, 07:31:30 pm »

I drink alcohol, but avoid actual drunkeness. I just drink whatever I like the taste of; mostly beer (especialy the darker ones) and occasionally wine. Mixed drinks, nasty sweet drinks and other junk that is mostly drunk to get drunk I couldnt care less for.

Alcohol does make it noticably easier to go to sleep at a decent hour.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8