Yes; I used to drink but now I don't
- 7 (5.5%)
Yes; I've never consumed alcohol
- 40 (31.3%)
Yes; but only because I'm under age!
- 20 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Teetotalism  (Read 8047 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Teetotalism
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 12:18:42 pm »

In my experience, people aren't trying to get you to drink in order to validate their drinking. There may be some people who do that, but they are in the vast minority. I (and lots of people like me) do drink, yet have no desire to be drunk. Being tipsy or merry can make a lot of situations a lot more enjoyable, and likely your friends want you to enjoy yourself, so they encourage you to get similarly tipsy.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 12:23:37 pm »

Such efforts are rooted in misunderstanding on either my part or theirs, maybe both.

I don't have a rebuttal for that kind of pressure; I would have to somehow prove that I am having a satisfactory amount of fun, which is extremely subjective.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 12:25:06 pm »

I drink one hell of a lot. Sometimes it's just casual drinking with no real effects, sometimes it's rather heavy drinking one weekends and whatnot. A light buzz is nice for casual nights in with your friends, going above and beyond that makes dancing at clubs and so on a helluva lot more fun than otherwise. I don't see anything wrong with people not drinking or not liking alcohol but I always find it funny when people say they've never had a sip of alcohol before but still aren't interested. I don't judge new foods before I try them :\

It's funny; I can handle hard liquor like a champ but I've never been any good with carbonated stuff, so it took me years to adjust to beer, and it still gives me unwarranted dizziness and hiccups far past its alcohol level.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 12:27:38 pm »

If it's any consolation, I thought the small cup of communion wine I had at my grandfather's funeral was acrid, and the taste lingered on my tongue for longer than I would have liked.

Perhaps a bad first impression?
I can see it now.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 12:28:10 pm »

Maybe that's why nobody ever tried to get me to drink, 'cause that's how I normally am.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 12:35:54 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:32:23 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 12:39:14 pm »

I don't think you're supposed to swallow the wine during wine tastings :P

I might be wrong though.
I can see it now.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 12:55:25 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:32:30 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 12:59:13 pm »

I drink "normally" : I get drunk once every while at parties, been really drunk a few times, and drink a bit of alcohol once every two week on average outside of parties.
People I know drink like me, a bit more or a bit less.
I like to drink for three reasons : first to get things out of my head, usually after an exam or a breakup. I don't need to get drunk but a bit of drinking and socializing do wonders for the morals and you can actually have pretty deep discussion when alcohol have made you a bit inhibited (advice of the day, only have that kind of discussion with very good friends you trust). Second the taste. Alcoholic beverages have among the richest and most complex tastes.
Third, inhibition : a few drink can help you flirt and make up things (for instance I usually have one or two beer when I'm out of inspiration as a dungeon master).
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 01:01:20 pm »

We can swallow or spit it out. I swallow

Was going to go to the OOC thread but too easy. Tooooo easy.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 01:06:54 pm »

I'm teetotal.

I'd like to say that the reason I am is because it is a cheaper, healthier alternative and I don't need to be drunk to have fun, but in reality it is probably more due to the fact that the people who, in the later years of early school, started experimenting with alcohol were some of my worst enemies, so I didn't drink simply because that meant I was different from them.

Also, my mum had some problems with a depression once, to which she got some anti-depressants. That made her completely stoned-out high all the time and she really was absoelutely pathetic, which wasn't nice to watch. Those two factors combined pretty much turned me off any form of social- or exhilaration drug.

I don't get pressured into drinking though. A lot of people ask why, but only once or twice where I confidently tell them that I simply don't, but then they accept it and don't nag me about it. I don't get peer pressured into drinking at all.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 01:10:28 pm »

I don't drink alchohol, I never have, and I never plan to do so, even once I'm of legal age. I don't understand why people bother with it, why they would look at somthing that they know harms and impares them, and think "Wow, that's great!". It makes zero sense, and while I don't care what other people do with their lives, I myself am never going to get involved in such a blatently harmful habit. Same goes for other drugs.
I remember that, when I was eight or so, my father let my have a sip of his beer because I was curious to what it tasted like. It was the single most vile tasting substance I have ever attempted to drink. Horrible, horrible stuff, and yet people seem to absolutely love it. Even the Freshmen at my school regularly talk about getting absolutely wasted, which probably explains why they act like they do.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2011, 01:20:37 pm »

My brother doesn't drink.  I don't think he has any reason other than it simply doesn't interest him.

I used to drink a lot and had a bad tendency to binge drink, but after my first two times of actual memory loss (about a year ago) I've cut down quite a bit.  Not sure what it is exactly, but memory loss is a little freaky to me and was a pretty good incentive to stop drinking so much.   :o

I still drink socially and sometimes over do it, but I don't go to the liquor store and buy myself bottles of rum/gin/vodka every week any more.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2011, 01:28:29 pm »

Evenings on the weekends I would drink a little bit, enough to make even boring things entertaining.
Neither of us would get plastered though.
*Hugs*

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 01:29:51 pm »

I rather dislike the flavor myself. But beyond that, it's a genetic concern; I'm part Polish, part Irish, part Native American. My BAC is barely under the limit all on its own. Both sides of my family have had problems with it.

That all said, I keep thinking I'd be a natural potato vodka drinker.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8