Yes; I used to drink but now I don't
- 7 (5.5%)
Yes; I've never consumed alcohol
- 40 (31.3%)
Yes; but only because I'm under age!
- 20 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8

Author Topic: Teetotalism  (Read 8049 times)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: Teetotalism
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2011, 11:17:13 am »

I try to have one cup of red wine at lunch (for health purposes and such).

You know.. I have always wondered what wine taste like.. Tough I don't like the taste of grapes..

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2011, 11:20:09 am »

You know.. I have always wondered what wine taste like.. Tough I don't like the taste of grapes..
depends on the age but its mostly sour, strawberry wine on the other hand....

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2011, 11:33:36 am »

It's sour. However, it's not really bad. I'd not drink it by itself, but it combines well with red, juicy meats. Besides, it has many aftertastes that make it somewhat interesting (and vary from wine to wine).

I used to be a big fan of champagne, but I hadn't drank it for a while, and when I revisited it last year, I was kind of disappointed.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2011, 11:35:56 am »

I've never drunk and never plan to. Switching off my brain cells just doesn't appeal. If you have to impair your mental state to have fun, you're doing something wrong.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2011, 11:38:01 am »

There's a difference between drinking and getting drunk you know.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2011, 11:40:55 am »

Wine doesn't really taste like grapes anyway, at least not in the way cider tastes like apples.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2011, 11:44:55 am »

I rarely drink at the moment, mostly due to how much of a lightweight I am. Even a single pint is enough to make me feel a bit lightheaded, and I don't really enjoy that feeling unless I'm with friends. I usually get mildly drunk at parties, enough to find everything funny, but not enough to throw up. Only time I've been drunk enough to throw up was when I went out on the town with a friend from college. That night was utterly ridiculous. Especially the mescal (Complete with worm) I finished the night with.

So, I'm kinda teetotal at the moment, simply because I don't feel like drinking. I enjoy the taste of beer, and a lot of cocktails are absolutely amazing (Especially this minty, milky one the local Metal bar does. Love that one.), but I just don't feel like going out and getting drunk on my own.

I hit 19 next month, probably going to get at least slightly drunk for that.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2011, 11:46:10 am »

I don't drink, hardly ever anyway. Not for any moral reason, but because its an expensive habit. In can be a good part of a fun time on occasion.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2011, 11:52:11 am »

I have tasted a very mild alcoholic beverage. Julmust I think it was.. I din't like the taste.
Julmust is very much not an alcoholic drink. It was created as a "teetotal", sober alternative too alcoholic beverages. :P
Could have been "julmumma", though. They sound a bit alike.
Love, scriver~

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2011, 11:55:58 am »

There's a difference between drinking and getting drunk you know.

I'm still (barely) underage (American) but I have no intentions of ever drinking.

It's just not something that appeals to me. I don't want to get drunk.

You don't have to get drunk, y'know. Maybe that's the problem, too many people associate alcohol with drunkenness when it's actually more enjoyable in moderation.

Speaking as someone who's very fond of alcohol, I don't understand drinkers' snobbishness towards teetotallers either. Maybe they feel like their lifestyles are being criticised somehow?

Even so, it's like coffee for me. I dislike the smell (of both coffee and alcohol). People tell me it's an acquired taste, but I don't feel any particular desire to acquire it.

My friends have used the "you don't have to get drunk" argument on me before. They're not even looking for me to get drunk. They just want me to take at least one sip, as if me doing that will somehow validate their life choices for them.

But I simply don't want to.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2011, 12:01:05 pm »

You get the same situation with other things too. I was brought up a vegetarian and still don't eat meat to this day. I still meet people who try and convince me that I should try it and act as if my lack of eating it puts their eating it into question without me saying a thing.

I mean to increase my alcohol consumption for the various health benefits but since I went a long patch without any I've grown to dislike the taste.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2011, 12:03:13 pm »

I think I can explain why the friends are pressuring you. You see, when people get drunk, they do idiotic things, but it's OK since everyone is drunk so everyone will just laugh with them. However, when someone sober is laughing at your drunken antic, it feels like he's laughing at you rather than laughing with you. That, and steadfast refusal to have a sip has this whole "I don't need booze because I'm better than you" feel to it.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2011, 12:08:38 pm »

Even so, it's like coffee for me. I dislike the smell (of both coffee and alcohol). People tell me it's an acquired taste, but I don't feel any particular desire to acquire it.

My friends have used the "you don't have to get drunk" argument on me before. They're not even looking for me to get drunk. They just want me to take at least one sip, as if me doing that will somehow validate their life choices for them.

But I simply don't want to.

Fair enough. I'm not encouraging you to drink (or not to drink, for that matter). I´m just stating that there's quite a bit of middle ground between alcoholism and not drinking at all. You seemed to be generalizing anyone who drinks more than 0 as a drunkard.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2011, 12:11:22 pm »

You get the same situation with other things too. I was brought up a vegetarian and still don't eat meat to this day. I still meet people who try and convince me that I should try it and act as if my lack of eating it puts their eating it into question without me saying a thing.

I mean to increase my alcohol consumption for the various health benefits but since I went a long patch without any I've grown to dislike the taste.

You are looking at the vegetarian thing wrong. We omnivores do not question our natural lifestyle. Your lifestyle is unnatural and unhealthy. It is as simple as that, we are concerned for your health and your denial of your own humanity. I won't say any more than that.

I also don't like the flavor of most alcohol, especially beer. On the rare occasions (maybe a couple times a year) that I drink it is mixed drinks or liquor.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2011, 12:12:10 pm »

I try to ease their concerns by cutting loose when they get drunk and participating in their shenanigans sober. It's not perfect, but they pressure me a lot less when I'm skipping merrily down the sidewalk with them at 2 AM. And passers by basically assume I'm drunk as well, haha.

Plus, I can make sure they don't do anything phenomenally stupid that they will regret.

I've told them I don't judge them for drinking. If they don't believe me, well, I can't really do anything about it but try to be a good friend.

@ChairmanPoo:

Around university towns, that particular generalization tends to pretty consistently be true :P

But yes, I realize that, by and large, moderate drinkers who are smart about it are more typical than immature binge-drinkers fresh out of high school
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:19:08 pm by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8