Yes; I used to drink but now I don't
- 7 (5.5%)
Yes; I've never consumed alcohol
- 40 (31.3%)
Yes; but only because I'm under age!
- 20 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Teetotalism  (Read 8027 times)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Teetotalism
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2011, 05:13:59 pm »

I'm a teetotaler. Though my reason is more along the lines of that I'm too afraid to drink alcohol, after watching alot of my friends and relatives waste their money and lives because of alcohol. My mom is an alcoholic, and uses alot of her money on it despite being almost crippled. My uncles and aunts have a long list of permanent injuries thanks to fights they've gotten in whilst drunk. My cousins are always making damn fools of themselves and wasting all their cash; and then struggle to remain out of poverty.

So yeah, I just don't want to follow in any of there footsteps is all. I also don't smoke, but that's just because I'm a terrible asthmatic.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2011, 09:55:28 pm »

No drinking, no smoking.  Don't like the taste of alcohol or the smell of smoke.  I'll probably drink a little wine when I'm older, though, and if I end up spending a couple of years in Germany I'll likely participate in Oktoberfest.  For many things, I think "well, I should try it at least once before I abandon it forever."

I do enjoy the taste of coffee quite a bit, though, so I could see drinking a cup or two a week for pleasure.  Never for caffeine purposes.  I believe in getting at least 5 hours of sleep a night, and in that scenario a little tea is more than enough.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2011, 11:33:16 pm »

For someone who drinks as seldom as I do, I find myself defending alcohol more often than not... >_<;

In my experience, any violence, cruelty, poor judgment, or other negative behaviors caused by excessive drinking are symptoms of something that was already there in the drinker's personality. Excepting the obvious physical effects, the effect of lowered inhibitions, as caused by depressants like alcohol, is that the fundamental aspects of your personality are laid bare, without guile or social subterfuge; you're simply not keen enough to be able to fool anyone, and tend to speak your heart before you have a chance to think it over, for better or worse. As someone who values blunt honesty, I appreciate alcohol for that quality.

I grew up hating the stuff with passion. My parents partied hard through most of my childhood, and drank themselves into helplessness, car accidents with my sibs and I as passenger, and terrible fights with friends and family. All through my childhood, I blamed alcohol for this, and swore up and down that I would never drink. As I grew older, I came to realize that these were sadly aspects of their personalities, which they (and not alcohol) were responsible for... and their lack of responsibility lead them to drink at inappropriate times, and in quantities that set themselves up for their problems. As with anything, self-awareness and responsibility are key. Still, there are many inappropriate times and ways to use it. Getting drunk to the point that you can no longer stand up, or that your body has to purge itself to keep you alive are obviously inappropriate usages of it. In the same sense, when your stomach is absolutely stuffed, eating an entire pizza would be an inappropriate usage of food, and your body would certainly intervene before it caused you harm.

I would say that alcohol is, by its nature, a good thing, and it has a number of positive qualities that can be enjoyed by responsible people. Many good beers have a rich, nutty, bitter taste profile similar to coffee, and though I don't care for most liquors, they tend to cover an extremely broad base of flavors, from fruity or caramel-like to acerbically bitter. The experience of being inebriated can actually tell you a good deal about your personality as well... I tend to be significantly less emotionally guarded, and anything I've done while drinking has been good-natured, and at worst a bit silly and embarrassing (ex. singing showtunes to the downtown area, and hugging my friends profusely).

Gorjo MacGrymm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 13, 2011, 12:18:16 am »

Recovering alcoholic.  10 years clean and sober last Nov 15.

Need any help?  Questions?  Just curious about AA?  Confidentaility guaranteed.

This is serious, not joiking.  I have seen to many people die, goto prison, or just become homeless wrecks.  Too many failed marriages, runaway teens (both to drink and also to get away from drinking pareants), busted families.
"You should stop cutting down all these herr trees, or, MAN is my Queen going to be Aaaaa-aang-Re-ee with you guys!" flipping his hand and batting his eyelashes."
"Oh my god guys, wood, is like, totally murder."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 13, 2011, 01:06:04 am »

Well, I do drink, and I'm underage. But see, my thinking is this.

I drink, on the weekends, one to two light beers and no more. I enjoy them, too. When I get to legal age I will drink more but not much, because excessive alcohol gives me a headache and the idea of being drunk is actually very unpleasant to me. But I digress; I have a couple of beers on the weekend because I feel that the way the law is written means you cannot touch alcohol before one specific night and the next night you can get completely smashed whenever you want (with exceptions) for the rest of your life, legally. I'm considering this my L-Plates, really, in the same way you start driving before you're legally allowed a full license. Learn to drink responsibly now, avoid doing too much stupid shit in the future.

Obviously it wouldn't work as a law. To hard to police. But hey, this is my thing and it's working out so far.

Although, fun fact. Licensed restaurants in Australia are allowed to sell any alcohol they have to anyone of any age provided there's an of-age guardian present. I have no idea why.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:32:53 am by Jackrabbit »

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 13, 2011, 01:25:09 am »

I'm 100% alcohol-free for religious reasons.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 13, 2011, 01:38:31 am »

I'm 100% alcohol-free for religious reasons.

me too.

what religion, if I may ask?

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 13, 2011, 02:00:26 am »

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. We're frequently called Mormons.
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 13, 2011, 02:12:09 am »

yeah, I was raised in ISKCON, which has similar lifestyle restrictions.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 13, 2011, 02:18:33 am »

Eh...for me, it's more freeing than restricting, because I've made a decision and don't have to think about the issues brought up in previous posts. And, I feel terrible for having to ask, but what is ISKCON?
To summarize:

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 13, 2011, 02:21:00 am »

International Society for Krishna Consciousness.

more commonly known as the Hare Krishnas.

and yeah, I agree with you on the freeing bit, just didn't know how to word it right.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 13, 2011, 02:34:19 am »

Hare Krishnas? Cool.
To summarize:

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 13, 2011, 02:36:59 am »

We get a lot of Hare Krishnas in Melbourne. I was always warned to stay away, actually, but it's not like you're not awesome on two legs, Japa, so I can't see why.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 13, 2011, 02:45:36 am »

We tend to be a bit eccentric, and try to convince people to change religion.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 13, 2011, 02:50:35 am »

We tend to be a bit eccentric, and try to convince people to change religion.
Like, Door to Door "Have you been touched by Jesus?" or getting into Religious Debates with a frightening Regularity?

Because Religious Debates are quite literally the best thing ever.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 02:53:27 am by Realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8