Yes; I used to drink but now I don't
- 7 (5.5%)
Yes; I've never consumed alcohol
- 40 (31.3%)
Yes; but only because I'm under age!
- 20 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: Teetotalism  (Read 8038 times)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
Re: Teetotalism
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2011, 07:41:54 pm »

Me, I like fruity girly drinks.  If they have actual fruit in them like strawberries or something, so much the better, but otherwise it's Mike's or Bacardi or something.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2011, 07:44:45 pm »

Alcohol does make it noticably easier to go to sleep at a decent hour.
I experience the complete opposite; when I drink I have a hard time getting more than a few hours of sleep.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2011, 07:46:22 pm »

That's not why I avoid alcohol, though.  I just can't stand the taste.  It's like a mixture of earwax and hydrochloric acid.  It tastes like poison.

I'm especially sensitive to the taste of alcohol, I've had friends spike cocoa to a level where they couldn't taste the alcohol and it stood out like they'd put in a whole shaker of salt. Once I got past that, though, I managed to enjoy every other level of the taste. Yeah, alcohol tastes like poison but so do a lot of other things everyone imbibes daily XD

I've got myself to the point where I can drink really weak fruity drinks.  I couldn't even do that a few years ago.  I still only do it to entertain others.  I get nothing out of it.

Of course, I'm also not a very taste/smell oriented person.  I know some people who feel compelled to treat every meal or mixed drink like a fine art piece, and will discuss at length every aspect of flavor/aftertaste/texture/maybe-if-you-added-a-dash-of.../etc as if they're picking apart a dissertation.  This is bizarre to me.  Just doesn't compute.  It's something that takes up a few minutes of my time and then I never think about it again.  Eating/drinking is like brushing my teeth.  It's just something I have to do.  I'm sure everyone has toothpastes they like or don't like, but I've never heard anyone ramble on for 30 minutes about it.

It probably doesn't help that I barely have a sense of smell, so I probably don't experience these things to the depths that others do.  But even if I did, I'm just not one to pay attention to creature comforts.  I care more about meaningful thoughts and accomplishments than physical sensations.  Give me a good book, and I won't care if I'm sitting on a pile or rocks or pillows.

Yeah, I might as well be an alien.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2011, 07:52:49 pm »

Alcohol does make it noticably easier to go to sleep at a decent hour.
I experience the complete opposite; when I drink I have a hard time getting more than a few hours of sleep.

Both are right: alcohol does cause somnolence, but also causes "fractured sleep".
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2011, 07:58:51 pm »

I had a shot like ten minutes ago!

Vodka!
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2011, 08:00:32 pm »

I drink to my hearts content. Just not beer, horrid stuff! I prefer cider. Nice sweet cider.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2011, 08:53:56 pm »

I sort of drink, but I'm underage and have a low tolerance, so I drink very little. I profess a love for good sipping whiskeys, but will readily admit an inability to actually make a dent in any quantity I am presented with. I will have wine with dinner, when my mothers away, but I think the most I've ever had was two glasses over the span of three hours or so.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2011, 02:54:17 am »

I barely drink. I'm underage (17) and I simply don't see the appeal. I drink occasionally, mostly when it gets served/offered to me, but I don't seek it out. I put wine in the risotto I make, but that boils off anyway. I've probably had fifteenish standard drinks (i.e. about eight-nine bottles of beer) in my life, and only once more than one drink in a night.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Something Evil

• Bay Watcher
  • Allignment: Neutral Predatory
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2011, 03:30:49 am »

To quote from the great classics:
"I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't cuss... God fucking damn it! I dropped my cigarette into my beer!"

I'm mainly a social drinker. I generally fail to see why I should burn money by getting plastered alone, but will occasionally get myself buzzed to counter my bouts of insomnia, or just put some things out of my mind.

My real problem is that I have considerable tolerance to alcohol, so for it to have any effect on me, a good chunk of the bottle will be needed, and it tends to burn a hole in my pocket, especially since I tend to drink things like strong, slightly caramelized dark beer or Jager.
Quote from: Vector
In a world with so many hydras, who am I to throw away my extra swords?
Quote from: Encased in burning magma
THIS UNDEAD THREAD SHALL BE WOVEN INTO UNDEAD SOCKS
Quote from: ragnarok97071
Hot Chocolate is like Dakka. You can never have enuff of it, and you should try not to drop it on your pants.
Quote from: Burnt Pies
Soon I shall be fluent in Box, including obscure dialects such as Pyramid, Sphere and Japanese.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2011, 04:32:43 am »

Vodka!
There is far too much Korpiklaani in that statement.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2011, 05:31:40 am »

Vodka!
There is far too much Korpiklaani in that statement.

Must...Resist...SINGING!!!!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2011, 05:35:34 am »

I am a teetotaller by choice.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2011, 02:01:46 pm »

As to being pressured to drink, if only a little bit, think of it like this -

Its not about the booze. Its just about people wanting to do stuff together, especially if its something they find enjoyable but you've never actually given a fair shake. They just want you to feel the pleasure from the activity they feel, or at least give it an honest try. And if you do enjoy it, their enjoyment is increased the the ability to enjoy it through you. Also, you are possibly a lot more likely to do something amusing. ;)

Its not just with drinking - Charades, finger painting, climbing a tree, going swimming, karaoke - I've seen it with all of these and more. If there's an element that requires people to "let go of their inhibitions" to a certain extent, they tend to enjoy themselves more when those around them have similarly released their inhibitions, or at least have a good reason why they shouldn't that doesn't apply to others in the group (like an allergy, or being designated driver). Often enough, they will likely, unconsciously, hold themselves back a bit for each non-participant that's around, as it seems less "acceptable".

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2011, 03:12:08 pm »

Also, drink is considered by many people to be a social thing, so abstaining can come across a little like going to a restaurant with someone and not eating anything. Ultimately though, people need to respect people's choices, and that goes for drinkers and teetotallers alike.
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2011, 03:26:14 pm »

I'm not a teetotaler, and I never will be. I have an affinity for drinking things for the taste of it, not the physical effects. (I have literally thrown up every time I've tried using coffee for the wake up effect some people get.) When I do get alcohol (Legal, of course. Isreali law rocks for Jews. I visit is A LOT.) I avoid drinking enough to get me drunk, because the one time I have, I was miserable. And the hangovers SUCK, (The multiple ones I've had, compared to the one time I've drunken enough alcohol to have an effect on me are caused by the extreme dehydration I'm prone to. Same effect.) so there's that.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8