Yes; I used to drink but now I don't
- 7 (5.5%)
Yes; I've never consumed alcohol
- 40 (31.3%)
Yes; but only because I'm under age!
- 20 (15.6%)

Total Members Voted: 128

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Teetotalism  (Read 8023 times)

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Teetotalism
« on: March 11, 2011, 10:02:24 am »

Quote from: Dictionary
tee·to·tal·er or tee·to·tal·ler (tttl-r) also tee·to·tal·ist (-st)
n.
One who abstains completely from alcoholic beverages.

After some reading on teetotalism, I'm now curious how common it actually is for people to choose to voluntarily abstain from drinking alcohol, and why or why not.

So...yeah. Why or why not? What are the attitudes towards people who do?

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: Teetotalism
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 10:06:40 am »

I have an ongoing bet with myself that I won't drink for 7 years after legal age. Only 2 and a half more to go!

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 10:11:59 am »

I'm still (barely) underage (American) but I have no intentions of ever drinking.

It's just not something that appeals to me. I don't want to get drunk.

My college friends have tried their damndest to try to get me to drink, or even try it. I'm starting to think that my blatant teetotalism bothers them somehow, which is silly because I have absolutely no problem with other people drinking around me (as long as they aren't constantly drinking to excess)

Only alcohol I've ever drank was a sip of communion wine at my grandfather's funeral.

I just like being sober, and have no desire to get drunk to see if I might like that better. And I don't like the smell, so I reckon' I won't like the taste.

I don't smoke, either. Or drink coffee for that matter. I avoid soda if I have any other choices. I guess I'm just a boring guy.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:13:28 am »

I don't do coffee or tobacco either, but no soda!? oO

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:15:27 am »

Not no soda, exactly. A lot of times, at least living with my roommates, it's either that or city tap water, and I hate city tap water.
I can see it now.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 10:17:13 am »

I'm practically teetotal in that I don't drink for 6 months or more at a time but it's not that I'm deliberately avoiding alcohol.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 10:21:51 am »

I clicked no, mainly because I don't object to drinking alcohol but I don't like drinking in excess, especially at bars.  I got drunk once, and it was kinda fun, but ultimately pointless.  I was with some friends, and we pretty much laughed at ourselves as we went back home.  But one friend threw up, we all had to drink a lot of water, one VERY drunk friend had to be persuaded to get some sleep... it was more of an annoyance really.  I hang out with my friends because I like them for who they are already, so why do people insist on drinking heavily?  And I really can't stand how if my friends get drunk, I essentially have to babysit them as they throw up all over themselves.  How is this fun exactly?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 10:23:13 am »

I believe people in general should drink a lot less than we do - many people seem far to oblivious to how reliant they are on alcohol in their daily lives (of course, I'm aware many do just fine, I'm just a "but think of what could happen!" kind of guy), but no, I'm far from a soberist myself.
Love, scriver~

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 10:23:31 am »

I have tasted a very mild alcoholic beverage. Julmust I think it was.. I din't like the taste.

But other than that one time, I have never been drinking any alcoholic beverages, ever.
Why? Just because I choose not to. Why does things need complicated anwsers, when its that simple?

Tough I do drink lots of soda, especially one brand, that is popular here in Greenland. FAXE KONDI
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 10:32:05 am by Ultimuh »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 10:27:29 am »

Yea i don't drink much due to the damn age limit, even then i don't drink much anyways. I mean i will enjoy some shots or two (i swear Canadian whiskey tastes like maple wood) but not every day and not to drown myself.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 10:29:55 am »

I'm almost at a teetotal level of alcohol consumption. Maybe a couple of beers per year on average, never been drunk. Never seen the point of drinking really, so I haven't.

My college friends have tried their damndest to try to get me to drink, or even try it. I'm starting to think that my blatant teetotalism bothers them somehow, which is silly because I have absolutely no problem with other people drinking around me (as long as they aren't constantly drinking to excess)
Sounds very, very familiar to my experiences. They always demand an explanation for why I don't drink, and I don't really have a better answer than "I just don't". It's bloody annoying.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 10:30:21 am »

Why? Just because I choose not to. Why does things need complicated anwsers, when its that simple?

This. It really bothers me when my friends really pressure me to drink. It's mostly because they're very reasonable with it.

"Just take a sip; humans have been drinking alcohol for thousands of years, a sip is not going to hurt you and if you don't like it you can stop"

And I'm just like

"nope lol"

They make me feel like I'm being some kind of douchebag for refusing, which bothers me. I really don't want to drink but sometimes they make me feel like they're in the right and I'm just being some kind of elitist dick about it. Which I'm not trying to be. I don't look down at them for drinking at all.

Ninja'd: yeah, basically.
I can see it now.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 10:50:30 am »

Yeah, I'm teetotal and want to be for the foreseeable future.  I am underage, but I've refused a lot of drinks in the past.

Apart from not wanting to make myself look like an idiot while drunk... well, I don't want to ever have to depend on it.  It's just a kindof principle I have.

Durin Stronginthearm

• Bay Watcher
  • I can only love spaceships
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 10:56:27 am »

I'm still (barely) underage (American) but I have no intentions of ever drinking.

It's just not something that appeals to me. I don't want to get drunk.

You don't have to get drunk, y'know. Maybe that's the problem, too many people associate alcohol with drunkenness when it's actually more enjoyable in moderation.

Speaking as someone who's very fond of alcohol, I don't understand drinkers' snobbishness towards teetotallers either. Maybe they feel like their lifestyles are being criticised somehow?
Quote from: Bill Hicks
I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 11:15:38 am »

I drink sometimes. But it's rather unfrequent. TBH I don't like alcoholic drinks too much

- When I go out to parties I usually have a drink or two. But since in the last two years I've gone out exactly three times, it doesn't add to much.

- When I'm at home (as opposed to the dorm), I try to have one cup of red wine at lunch (for health purposes and such). I tend to forget doing it most times, though, so it's sporadic as well.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8