Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Development environment?  (Read 1243 times)

KikkyMonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Development environment?
« on: May 20, 2007, 12:17:00 am »

What programs are you using to code/compile the game? Is it all your custom libraries or are you using some off the shelf ones?

I dabbled with some games in high school on my calculator (of all things) which had a very basic BASIC-type language. I barely got the interface together before my calculator ran out of memory  :(

Anywho,
Dave

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Development environment?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 01:28:00 am »

I'm curious as to what Toady uses as well. Up until now I've just figured to make something like Dwarf Fortress you have to sacrifice people daily to Cthulhu. =\

Peristarkawan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 03:21:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Keiseth:
<STRONG>I'm curious as to what Toady uses as well. Up until now I've just figured to make something like Dwarf Fortress you have to sacrifice people daily to Cthulhu. =\</STRONG>

Well, the game does have tentacle demons...

X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 09:40:00 am »

MSVC6, OpenGL, zlib, fmod.

If you want to get back into dabbling game-making, I'd strongly suggesting picking a modern dynamic language with an interactive interpreter. Can get something satisfying, of the kind of calculator-game level, very quickly with hardly any code, but also move up to large scale stuff without really hitting any major barriers.

X

KikkyMonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 01:48:00 pm »

Is Toady using C or C++? I thought he said he was updating some of his code to C++ but I could have been mistaken.

MS is giving away their express line of compilers although not sure what limitations it would have on developing a full stand alone app like DF.

I did mess with djgpp bitd as well along with some limited graphics libraries.

[ May 20, 2007: Message edited by: KikkyMonk ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 02:07:00 pm »

I actually looked into updating to express, and the optimizations seem to have been improved since whenever MSVC6 came out (when I moved the project over, had an FPS jump from 70 to 90).  On the downside, it doesn't have a resource editor, so the little dwarf picture doesn't appear, and I don't know enough about resources to make it work on my own.

[ May 20, 2007: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

KikkyMonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 01:24:00 pm »

MS is giving away their visual studio professional 8 to any student. I'm only taking a single class at my local community college and I was able to sign up for it. The program is called dreamspark. It can't be used for commercial ventures, but would DF qualify as that?

-Dave

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

Yeah, resources are a freakin' pain to work with by hand.  Ugh.  I preferred simply loading the data as a file, but that's not always possible of course.

Oarfish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 03:11:00 pm »

You'l also get openmp with newer version of Visual C++, as well as free omptimisations for newer processor architectures. Make it easier for you to murder more of our cores  :)

Oarfish

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 03:14:00 pm »

Oh, and you can get an external resource editor over here