Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70080 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #765 on: April 14, 2011, 02:41:49 am »

I don't think that is what Tilla means at all Earthquake Damage and SalmonGod.

Well ok maybe not SalmonGod who is saying that just because you don't feel it, it doesn't mean you can understand it intellectually.

I still don't even understand how Japan is in this trouble... but it would be FAR too much work to even find out given the tragedy.

Though let me see... Reading

"because of tectonic plates"

Thank you internet... that was VERY useless. I'll keep looking because reactors arn't supposed to do that.

Though from what I am reading the problem is that the emergency systems of the nuclear reactors relied on power to work which the earthquake took out. Which sounds "iffy" to me.

Also I did find out why Nuclear power plants are put on fault lines. It allows access to water or something like that.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011, 02:48:17 am by Neonivek »

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: April 14, 2011, 09:56:46 am »

The problem was that nuclear power plants require constant cooling.  When the earthquake hit, the automatic shutdown systems kicked in nigh instantly.  The problem is that this only reduces the heat output of the reactor core to ~6-10% of its initial heat output, due to residual heat output from unstable fission products decaying, and when the initial heat output was in the gigawatt range that's still a lot of heat.  Since you've obviously shut down the reactor at this point, you can't let it power its own cooling systems like it normally does.  They had diesel generators which were supposed to power the cooling systems in the event of such an emergency.  Unfortunately, the tsunami got to them and completely disabled them (internal combustion engines/electrical systems really, really hate saltwater).  There were also some batteries as a secondary backup, but those only lasted a few hours (ideally, you were supposed to fly in portable generators before those ran out).  Sadly, that didn't happen, and we ended up in this whole fiasco of desperately trying to prevent the reactor cores from retaining enough heat to transform themselves into radioactive lava. 

The intriguing thought is that if the diesel generators had been better protected, this never would have been such a problem. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #767 on: April 14, 2011, 10:02:58 am »

The fuel tanks were situated where they were easily accessible by sea. The problem is that they were easily accessible by the sea.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: April 14, 2011, 05:27:58 pm »

My understanding is that the diesel generators were in the basement- exactly the place you don't want them to be in the event of a flood.

And make no mistake that the tidal wave is the whole cause of this incident.  Supposedly the reactors survived the earthquake without any damage.

Mysteriousbluepuppet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: April 14, 2011, 08:20:08 pm »

Actually, they had 10 meter high walls to stop that kind of wave. The wave was 14 meters high. You can't say they werent prepared, simply not to a 9 on the scale.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 14, 2011, 08:50:22 pm »

Clearly they should simply rebuild with 20 30 (can't be too careful) meter high walls.  That ought to fix the problem.
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 17, 2011, 07:31:06 am »

ten metres is pretty damn big. Look at this picture - the tallest board is ten metres up.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: April 17, 2011, 07:42:06 am »

Clearly they should simply rebuild with 20 30 (can't be too careful) meter high walls.  That ought to fix the problem.

30 meters? This block of flats[1] is 30 meters high.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

[1]please correct me, this word is probably unsuitable
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 17, 2011, 08:08:52 am »

No, it's suitable. People usually just call them tenements or apartments though.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: April 17, 2011, 08:13:11 am »

Looks like that would be an apartment building.  Flats is good and technically correct, but it's not used much.

Pfft, only 30 meters high?  Ever see that documentary on supertsunamis?  Or just about any worldwide disaster movie?  Clearly we need to build the reactors on space elevators.  Only way to be sure.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #775 on: April 17, 2011, 08:20:00 am »

Flats is widely used in Australia, at least, though it also means one of several individual dwellings on the one block, but whatever. Rerail time.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #776 on: April 17, 2011, 08:24:03 am »

Looks like that would be an apartment building.  Flats is good and technically correct, but it's not used much.
depends on which dialect of English you're using:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/block-of-flats

Pfft, only 30 meters high?  Ever see that documentary on supertsunamis?  Or just about any worldwide disaster movie?  Clearly we need to build the reactors on space elevators.  Only way to be sure.
I bet the egineers had a conversation like this:
-"I think we should make this wall taller than 10m."
-"Dude, you watch too many movies! Next you'll ask me to greenlight anti-Gojira defense system. If we'll ever get hit by a tsunami that high, we'll have more important things to worry about than some melting cores."
-"But... better safe than sorry?"
-"Look, for a tsunami to reach the height we've got there now, a 9-magnitude earthquake would need to strike just next to our plant. Think about it, what are the odds?"

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #777 on: April 17, 2011, 08:28:56 am »

Bah, we all know American English is the only real English. ;)
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #778 on: April 17, 2011, 08:49:56 am »

Pardon me, old chap, but could you possibly repeat yourself ever so slightly slower.  I'm having some slight difficulty comprehending that colourful colonial accent of yours.

In re-railing news, six to nine months before everything's completely shut down, over there, so they say.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #779 on: April 17, 2011, 08:51:44 am »

hahahahah
ahahahhahaha
ahahaha
ahaha
hah
ha
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 50 51 [52] 53 54