Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70123 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #750 on: April 12, 2011, 08:51:33 pm »

Just because someone is just as horrible as us does not mean we are not horrible.

However, I'm not going to argue whether or not we're horrible.  Just putting out that little piece of logic.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: April 12, 2011, 09:11:27 pm »

Stalker: Shores of Fukushima might be a slightly more tangible concern.

This was one of my first thoughts regarding today's news updates.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 12, 2011, 10:06:04 pm »

it's only horrible if a person directly affected by the subject hears(reads) the jokes... that said, it's very possible somebody directly affected by the earthquakes reads this thread, so try not to be too distasteful, guys.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 12, 2011, 10:09:39 pm »

Can't help my Stalker fandom... even if it relates to something that is genuinely depressing.  Very sad for Japan, honestly.  Closet weaboo here.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 13, 2011, 07:42:07 pm »

Stalker: Shores of Fukushima might be a slightly more tangible concern.

Spoiler: I'm not proud of this. (click to show/hide)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: April 13, 2011, 07:43:19 pm »

Lets wait for a couple of years before we can start thinking of this peeps, right now they seriously need to contain that mess fast and safely too.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 13, 2011, 07:48:44 pm »

...And now I feel that I should try and run a RTD about some scientists going to investigate the Tunguska explosion...

Sorry for the useless post, so Shit, eh Japan? This really sucks blah blah I feel so bad but don't really, just like all the other people that bemoan a tragedy that never really affects them and they only say it to meet the societal consensus that one should feel bad about anything bad that happens no matter how little one actually cares.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: April 13, 2011, 07:54:44 pm »

...And now I feel that I should try and run a RTD about some scientists going to investigate the Tunguska explosion...

Sorry for the useless post, so Shit, eh Japan? This really sucks blah blah I feel so bad but don't really, just like all the other people that bemoan a tragedy that never really affects them and they only say it to meet the societal consensus that one should feel bad about anything bad that happens no matter how little one actually cares.
Considering if the contamination gets worse, all that crap is landing on the western United States, yea i kinda give a damn as this will be major.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 13, 2011, 08:18:28 pm »

This really sucks blah blah I feel so bad but don't really, just like all the other people that bemoan a tragedy that never really affects them and they only say it to meet the societal consensus that one should feel bad about anything bad that happens no matter how little one actually cares.

I don't think there's a societal consensus that people should be emotionally effected by the troubles of strangers on the other side of the world as you would be the troubles of your own friends and family.  I think the societal consensus is that one should be aware that there's no fundamental difference between those people and your friends and family, and thus you should be concerned as a matter of principle.  No need to cry about it, but I would consider a tendency to comprehend and sympathize a valuable human trait.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 13, 2011, 08:20:14 pm »

There is great pressure for in society to feel sad over things that are just sad.

I didn't cry when either of my Grandparents died nor was I really all that troubled. I thought I was a weirdo for not doing so given to how I saw everyone else get distraught over things like that.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 13, 2011, 09:01:27 pm »

There is great pressure for in society to feel sad over things that are just sad.

I didn't cry when either of my Grandparents died nor was I really all that troubled. I thought I was a weirdo for not doing so given to how I saw everyone else get distraught over things like that.

I'm kind of there with you.  I've always felt like it would make more sense to celebrate a life that has reached its end.  Sad song plays for the credits of a sad movie.  Happy song plays for the credits of a happy movie.  Right?  I always found the desire to mourn as kind of... selfish... everyone focusing on their own loss, when it shouldn't be about them.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 13, 2011, 09:27:57 pm »

everyone focusing on their own loss, when it shouldn't be about them.
why not? the dead don't care, it's the living who suffer with the loss of a close one

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 14, 2011, 02:03:08 am »

Does nobody in this thread understand the Monkeysphere concept? It is hardwired into the brain not to be able to conceptualize someone across the world as equal or more of a human than someone you live with.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 14, 2011, 02:06:18 am »

Does nobody in this thread understand the Monkeysphere concept? It is hardwired into the brain not to be able to conceptualize someone across the world as equal or more of a human than someone you live with.

Just because you don't feel such intuitively doesn't mean you can't know such logically and honor that knowledge.

I don't feel an attachment to anyone living in Japan right now, but I know that they are every bit as human as I am and their pain is every bit as real and important as anyone within my monkeysphere.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 14, 2011, 02:13:33 am »

You're misusing a theory to justify a value argument.  This is no different than using natural selection to justify Social Darwinism.
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 54