Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70085 times)

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #525 on: March 15, 2011, 10:58:14 pm »

Well thanks Tell, you really know how to make me look like a fool.

This whole damn thing makes me look like a fool.  Accurate information is hard to find in times of crisis.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: March 15, 2011, 11:00:25 pm »

And now they got another earthquake. wtf Earth, who else is going to make all of our crazy fetish stuff?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: March 15, 2011, 11:04:16 pm »

This whole damn thing makes me look like a fool.  Accurate information is hard to find in times of crisis.
Understatement for everybody not in Japan or working to send supplies there and are just chatting about it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: March 15, 2011, 11:12:50 pm »

It's impossible to tell the difference between poor available information, incompetence, conspiracy, or just everyone there being too busy to give status updates.  All sorts of theories get bantered about in the meantime.

Amazing that it's gone on as long as it has.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: March 15, 2011, 11:13:28 pm »

Understatement for everybody not in Japan or working to send supplies there and are just chatting about it.

Yeah.  My family's made a fairly large donation, and since spring break is next week I may be joining one of the commissioned-art auctions.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: March 16, 2011, 03:54:36 am »

There are a lot of displaced and homeless people in northern Honshu now, and temperatures are dropping with more snow coming. Then there's the food and water shortages.

There are a lot of aid orgs to donate to out there, but I'm going to give money direct to the Japanese Red Cross since they're naturally closest and best trained for this sort of event. Google has set up a direct donation page through Google Checkout here.
For those in Japan or who prefer direct bank transfer, there's Japanese Red Cross' own home page, or your national ICRC branch.

I'm also considering Shelterbox. They're sending boxes to Japan already and they've got a norwegian branch, which simplifies things for me. I'm a bit unsure about the suitability in this case though, they seem like they're more aimed at countries with little infrastructure, while Japan has lots. The box contains good tents, warm blankets and a fuel burner though. Anyone know anything about their merits?

If anyone got any good tips or ideas for helping out, please share.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: March 16, 2011, 04:51:05 am »

Thanks for the links.
I've been wondering who to donate to for this, as some 'take a little off the top' more then others, but the Japanese red cross seems like the best choice.

Also, on that note, there have been a few reports of people in Sydney going door to door claiming to be collecting for the tsunami victims, but pocketing the cash. Just no not donate to door knockers these days, it is the safest way to make sure your dollar is going straight to Japan.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: March 16, 2011, 07:27:37 am »

Thanks for the links.
I've been wondering who to donate to for this, as some 'take a little off the top' more then others, but the Japanese red cross seems like the best choice.

Yeah, I've been working for money to make a larger donation to the JRC.

Also, Tell, I didn't hear there was another earthquake. Where'd you find that?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: March 16, 2011, 08:04:19 am »

Reuters live link last night, then i got word from my USGS mentor that a 6.0 went off east of Tokyo shaking the buildings a bit but no damages.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: March 16, 2011, 08:37:11 am »

Reuters live link last night, then i got word from my USGS mentor that a 6.0 went off east of Tokyo shaking the buildings a bit but no damages.

Gotta hand it to them, at least their building code is pretty durned good.  But, thats expected since they often do get quakes.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: March 16, 2011, 08:39:05 am »

There's been 2-300 aftershocks, many of them 6.0 or more.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: March 16, 2011, 08:40:25 am »

Oh yes that reminds me, ALL EARTHQUAKE INFO SHOULD COME FROM ME AS I GOT CONNECTIONS TO THE USGS.

apparently there is a definition of what is a aftershock and a earthquake you know.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: March 16, 2011, 08:46:41 am »

apparently there is a definition of what is a aftershock and a earthquake you know.

Yes, I'm sure this is important to geologists all over the world.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: March 16, 2011, 09:09:17 am »

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110316/ts_nm/us_japan_quake

Things are getting so bad that ordinary police are firing water cannons into the reactors.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: March 16, 2011, 09:31:06 am »

Yes, I'm sure this is important to geologists all over the world.
Not funny but yes this is important to us.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 54