Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70153 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #480 on: March 15, 2011, 05:00:48 pm »

Yay for dogs.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: March 15, 2011, 05:18:58 pm »

The poeple working now in the power plant will likely die. http://www.lefigaro.fr/international/2011/03/15/01003-20110315ARTFIG00683-japon-les-kamikazes-du-nucleaire-sacrifient-leur-vie.php

Edit : or maybe not ; the article is alarmist but I saw nothing suggesting that they have already received lethal dosage of radiation.

ReEDIT: new fire at reactor 4.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:27:25 pm by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: March 15, 2011, 05:30:44 pm »

Aww come on, another fire XC

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: March 15, 2011, 05:41:21 pm »

It's these spent fuel rod pools that are the real danger. They have at least 3 of them, one on fire and two heating up. And they have no real containment structure around them, only the flimsy concrete boxes that seem to blow up once a day at the moment. When these things burn, radioactive crap goes into the air, the fire in the same building earlier today was the reason Tokyo had elevated radiation levels for a little while.

Currently they can't even get to the fire due to high radiation.

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: March 15, 2011, 05:42:54 pm »

The poeple working now in the power plant will likely die. http://www.lefigaro.fr/international/2011/03/15/01003-20110315ARTFIG00683-japon-les-kamikazes-du-nucleaire-sacrifient-leur-vie.php

Edit : or maybe not ; the article is alarmist but I saw nothing suggesting that they have already received lethal dosage of radiation.

ReEDIT: new fire at reactor 4.
If this was any other country, everyone would be crying shame about how the government is recklessly sacrificing it's inhabitants...

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: March 15, 2011, 05:45:03 pm »

If this was any other country, everyone would be crying shame about how the government is recklessly sacrificing it's inhabitants...

Nope, it's standard procedure in every country. In case of nuclear accident there is list of expendable voluntary to fix the things that are dangerous .

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: March 15, 2011, 05:46:18 pm »

So uh, pardon my ignorance and I'm sure there probably is a good reason but don't radiation suits or bio suits or what have you exist? 

Why don't the techs just wear those while working?  Sure I'll bet it's not comfortable and probably not easy to work in but isn't that better than growing a third eye or a tail or something?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: March 15, 2011, 05:48:09 pm »

Are you sure? There are alot of countries that support heroes (jesus we do), They know someone has to stay back and it would look bad for the government if they forced people to stay. Im surprised Belarus is not sending out their Demron suits to Japan, they can really use that right now.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: March 15, 2011, 05:50:37 pm »

No idea, I learned that from the news article of "le figaro" I linked to earlier. Something to do with the suit being unpractical or not effective enough I guess.

EDIT They do wear protective gear. I guess it doesn't guarantee their safety? But then... the radiation levels...
I hope the journalists are just trying to turn this into an heroic story, because else it mean that the radiations level within the power-plant are to hight for the suit to handle. Of course I have no idea of what can handle that kind of gear, so I don't know what that means.

Well I just don't know.

Ninjaed and instructed by tellemurius.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:56:35 pm by Phmcw »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: March 15, 2011, 05:54:13 pm »

The suits they have suck, its only good to block skin contact, they must be talking about gamma emissions, Demron suits are the only material even capable of block low gamma emissions.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: March 15, 2011, 06:00:41 pm »

Huh, those suits actually look kinda cool.

You would think something like that would have come out much earlier though and be more readily available.  After hearing about them I did a quick wikipedia thing and saw that it's 3 times more expensive than a lead apron.  I mean we figured out radiation is bad for you nearly a century ago and our most commonly used method of protection still amounts to just holding a lead sheet in front of your vital bits?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: March 15, 2011, 06:03:26 pm »

I haven't heard anything about what equipment they have, except for that French article, which I can't read.

Those guys knew the risks when they started working there, and they knew the risks when they chose to stay behind.  They might die hideously fast or lingeringly slow deaths for this, but that, ladies and gentlemen, is what heroism looks like.  God rest ye engineers.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #492 on: March 15, 2011, 06:04:01 pm »

Here's someone that (based off of their credentials) actually knows what they're talking about (Don't mind the wordpress-ness. This is copy-paste'd from a copy-paste of the original thing from Josef Oehmen):

http://climatesanity.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/why-i-am-not-worried-about-japans-nuclear-reactors-from-mits-dr-josef-oehmen/
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: March 15, 2011, 06:05:14 pm »

I think the issues with suits is, based on current tech and manufacturing techniques, a true "worst case scenario" fallout suit would be so heavy/inflexible, it'd basically only be good for keeping you alive while you get away from the hot zone, and little else.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: March 15, 2011, 06:06:26 pm »

The article mainly complains about how "terrible" the entire thing is, and then goes on explaining how they'd do it in France.

Bloody frenchmen. Putting a nuclear reactor right in my back yard.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 54