Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70185 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #435 on: March 15, 2011, 01:04:58 am »

Actually Nuclear Reactors built on Fault lines is VERY common

For example... Here in Canada we have one... In Toronto.

There is just something about Fault lines that screams "Nuclear power plant"

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 15, 2011, 01:10:23 am »

Well if demons break out of hell, there going to do it at a fault line, and if doom has taught us anything it is that demons and radiation go hand in hand! So it's just common sense really.

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 15, 2011, 07:04:39 am »

Crap.. looks like a nuclear catastrophe is iminent..
Desu

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 15, 2011, 07:16:35 am »

The Ronald Reagan can produce 40,000 gallons of potable water a day, so that's good news for the evacuees.
Irony on that one is its nuclear powered but enough of that, Japan needs to dump massive amounts of boric acid into their systems and shut them down now, theres no point in saving them.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 15, 2011, 07:29:00 am »

The Ronald Reagan can produce 40,000 gallons of potable water a day, so that's good news for the evacuees.
Irony on that one is its nuclear powered but enough of that, Japan needs to dump massive amounts of boric acid into their systems and shut them down now, theres no point in saving them.
That's what they are trying to do, but Boric acid doesn't stop radio activity from occurring.
Beside they are seriously under-staffed.
Summary of the situation : the reactor 1,2,3,4 have been struck by explosions, one pool with depleted fuel in it is on fire, radiation level are rising so much that safety of the personnel in the control room is seriously compromised and the cuve of the reactor N°2 is damaged. Source guardian.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 15, 2011, 07:30:54 am »

They're way past trying to save the reactors. They gave up that the moment they started pumping saltwater and boric acid in. There are 50 technicians possibly sacrificing themselves now to do as much damage control as they can...

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 15, 2011, 07:31:20 am »

Well if demons break out of hell, there going to do it at a fault line, and if doom has taught us anything it is that demons and radiation go hand in hand! So it's just common sense really.
If demons do break out, I have a BFG shot with their name on it.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 15, 2011, 07:40:50 am »

STALKER suits are gonna have to be used now to get into that place. God now a fire too? better start sealing up the house :/

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 15, 2011, 07:41:28 am »

Aw, and all I have is a larch spear adorned with rings of larch.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 15, 2011, 07:54:22 am »

Jeez...

It just goes from bad to worse. The Nikkei is just tumbling, the Bank of Japan has injected over 20 trillion yen into the financial system, which is going to cause massive inflation, there's panic buying as far away as Tokyo (I've seen pictures of supermarkets stripped completely bare of all food), and of course, the whole nuclear complex in Fukushima seems to be going tits-up.

EDIT: Oh, and it's sorta comforting that Japan has their own answer to Pat Robertson: a religious, right-wing politician who uses a national disaster as a critique of society, claiming that it's "divine punishment". Only this guy is sorta more important, since he's the mayor of Tokyo.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 07:59:24 am by RedKing »

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 15, 2011, 08:22:46 am »

EDIT: Oh, and it's sorta comforting that Japan has their own answer to Pat Robertson: a religious, right-wing politician who uses a national disaster as a critique of society, claiming that it's "divine punishment". Only this guy is sorta more important, since he's the mayor of Tokyo.

Who let him out of crazytown?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 15, 2011, 08:40:14 am »

And to top it off, the Chinese chunk of the 'Net is looking more like 4chan of late, given how many people are showing their ass by actively cheering the earthquake. The site which pointed this out (and also rightly pointed out that it was only about half, and the other half were basically saying, "WTF? Dude, shut the hell up") then got DoS'ed to death, so check out the original item by Google cache.

I can't say as I'm all that surprised, given China's newfound nationalism among youth and the historical bad blood between the two nations, but c'mon man....

It's times like this that I really need a Shaolin facepalm image.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 15, 2011, 08:48:50 am »

And to top it off, the Chinese chunk of the 'Net is looking more like 4chan of late, given how many people are showing their ass by actively cheering the earthquake. The site which pointed this out (and also rightly pointed out that it was only about half, and the other half were basically saying, "WTF? Dude, shut the hell up") then got DoS'ed to death, so check out the original item by Google cache.

I can't say as I'm all that surprised, given China's newfound nationalism among youth and the historical bad blood between the two nations, but c'mon man....

It's times like this that I really need a Shaolin facepalm image.
I have a deep feeling that these bastards just want attention.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 08:51:20 am by Angel Of Death »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 15, 2011, 09:02:06 am »

I finally got around to getting the answer to a question I'd put to myself earlier.  The wind is blowing off-shore, and looks like it will continue to do so for the reliably forecastable future (most of the rest of the week).

Better news than it might be for those on land (already dealing with cool temperatures, rain[1], etc), but not particularly good for the fishing industry and wildlife in general.  (Not that I'm sure there's yet news on whether there's the more troublesome radionucleides adrift.  Everyone's saying just saying "radiation".)

[1] Might also be good for limiting the spread of nasty particles, at the expense of being bad for concentrating the 'fallout' into a smaller area.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 15, 2011, 09:07:49 am »

Summary of the situation : the reactor 1,2,3,4 have been struck by explosions, one pool with depleted fuel in it is on fire, radiation level are rising so much that safety of the personnel in the control room is seriously compromised and the cuve of the reactor N°2 is damaged. Source guardian.
Please do make use of better sources, and refrain from spreading misinformation.

There was no explosion at Unit 4. The fire in the spent fuel containment facility has been put out by 2am GMT.
Sources:
International Atomic Energy Agency
World Nuclear News

Units 1, 2 and 3 are at cold shutdowns, and being cooled of residual heat(http://www.world-nuclear-news.org/RS_Cold_shutdowns_at_Fukushima_Daini_1403112.html). Unit 4 is in the process of being cold-shut. The pressure/temperature control system of Unit 2 apparently breached, releasing some radioactive gases, and increasing radiation to 8mSv/h for a short time, having decreased significantly by now. Main problem here is restarting the cooling process.

The most dangerous occurence so far seems to have been the fire, which released radioactive dust into the atmosphere, and at one time increasing the radiation dose in the vicinity of U4 to 400mSv/h. Keep in mind that it's not a sustained dosage, and simply the maximum recorded during the whole incident.
Most of the plume has been blown away towards the ocean.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 54