Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70237 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #420 on: March 14, 2011, 10:18:44 pm »

Fuck, this is not ending well right now.....

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: March 14, 2011, 10:19:47 pm »

That geiger counter feed is down.

Another reactor caught fire.  Huge radiation leak detected.  People within 20 miles or so are told to stay indoors.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake_nuclear_crisis

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/world/asia/15nuclear.html?_r=1&hp

FFF FFF FFF FFF

Oh man I would hate to be in Japan right now. I mean aside from the fact that a few towns got eaten and others were chewed on by a hungry tsunami, the fact that Japan's reactors are having a chain meltdown problem and the fact that their stocks dropped 6% just today, I just witnessed the picture of a kitten holding onto a wall and possibly a plant over water.

Oh, wait, what? Fire at a fourth reactor? :( Uh oh...

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: March 14, 2011, 11:00:10 pm »

another huge problem for japan is the economic situation of the rest of the world which has been tapped out by other recent disasters. The world is trying to shake us off it seems.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: March 14, 2011, 11:03:37 pm »

another huge problem for japan is the economic situation of the rest of the world which has been tapped out by other recent disasters. The world is trying to shake us off it seems.

Not to mention that Japan is practically broke (national debt is about 200% of GDP) and that they have bad demographic outlook.  It'll be a generation or so before they recover.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: March 14, 2011, 11:07:19 pm »

If I were old enough and responsible enough I would totally adopt a young Japanese person who would otherwise spend their life very slowly recovering from a crisis situation. Anyway, as soon as all of the problems in Japan finally get settled we can start worrying about how they're gonna recover. Or we could do that now. It's just as valid too, really.

Fayrik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: March 14, 2011, 11:10:34 pm »

The world is trying to shake us off it seems.
Argh, just as I thought my fear of falling into the sky was over.

Also, does anyone really know about the Earthquake that started this? I've not heard much other than it was really severe, and that it wasn't a standard shuddering type quake. Not really sure on the source of it though.
So THIS is how migrations start.
"Hey, dude, there's this crazy bastard digging in the ground for stuff. Let's go watch."

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: March 14, 2011, 11:11:59 pm »

Also, does anyone really know about the Earthquake that started this? I've not heard much other than it was really severe, and that it wasn't a standard shuddering type quake. Not really sure on the source of it though.

All I know is that it was a 9.0.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: March 14, 2011, 11:14:24 pm »

All I know is that it was a 9.0.

And that it was only recently confirmed to be a 9.0. Previously 8.9. Anyway, the only other things I know was that there were over a hundred aftershocks of varying degrees of scary, with only one in the higher range of the original quake. The aftershocks are currently expected to be sparse but continue for some time.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: March 14, 2011, 11:56:13 pm »

Nuclear power plants should not be built on fault lines.  Ever.  WTF, engineers?! 
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #429 on: March 15, 2011, 12:01:28 am »

Nuclear power plants should not be built on fault lines.  Ever.  WTF, engineers?!

Look earlier in this thread for discussion on this topic.

Most relevant though: The nuclear facilities were not screwed over due to an earthquake. They were screwed over due to flooding from the resulting tsunami.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 15, 2011, 12:12:23 am »

Most relevant though: The nuclear facilities were not screwed over due to an earthquake. They were screwed over due to flooding from the resulting tsunami.

I'd say that's intimately related to the earthquake.  You don't get a tsunami otherwise - massive undersea landslides excepted.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #431 on: March 15, 2011, 12:31:57 am »

I'd say that's intimately related to the earthquake.  You don't get a tsunami otherwise - massive undersea landslides excepted.

Then you're suggesting that no nuclear power facility be located near any sea board. Really cuts off a lot of room there, considering water is needed for the plant in general. With how Japan is situated, looking at fault lines and sea board, you're also pretty much asking that they are denied nuclear power completely.
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 15, 2011, 12:41:15 am »

Taking the magnitude of the quake into account, and the number of plants, I'm praising the engineers who designed these plants, as Japan isn't fallout 4 right now. As time goes on, these plants are only going to get stronger, so I dare say we will soon be, if we are not now, in a position where we can build them were the hell we like.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: March 15, 2011, 12:44:55 am »

Good points, but that's not entirely the case.  Europe is a better place for nuclear plants because it's geologically much more stable.  France is well situated to derive 70 percent of it's power from nuclear energy, for example.  That favors Europeans, but all of our illusion of nuclear safety exists by geologic consent, subject to change without notice, and that has to be considered.

Then you're suggesting that no nuclear power facility be located near any sea board. Really cuts off a lot of room there, considering water is needed for the plant in general. With how Japan is situated, looking at fault lines and sea board, you're also pretty much asking that they are denied nuclear power completely.

With Japan, yes, that's basically what I'm saying.  Same for California.  It's tough shit, but it's an unsound idea to build such a sensitive structure on a notoriously geologically unstable zone, no matter how one justifies it.

I do admire the engineers of the Japanese plant for their sturdy design, but our confidence may get the best of us when we place bottomless faith in technology.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 15, 2011, 12:52:58 am »

The Ronald Reagan can produce 40,000 gallons of potable water a day, so that's good news for the evacuees.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 54