Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70223 times)

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #405 on: March 14, 2011, 04:50:47 pm »

If the boundary itself is still experiencing a lot of pressure, then what's the possibility of another big quake?
From various sources of my own[1], I'm informed that The Big One that Japan has been expecting should have been located elsewhere (if I have it right, the fault area just to the south of Tokyo).

Doubting that the relief of stress at the present epicentre point is going to help relieve any at all at the predicted point[2], it may well be cuing it up for an even more likely and imminent slippage than before.  So I'd definitely say that another big quake (or two, or three) may well unzip itself (/themselves) within a very short time.  Almost instantaneously, as these most rapid of geological time-scales go, which could mean anything from less than a month to a number of very tense decades.

[1] i.e. through channels other than this esteemed forum where parallel discussions on this very subject are also occurring.  Bet that surprises you all, eh?

[2] Insofar as earthquakes are predictable by us mere mortals, although I'm guessing there'll be a "swarm" of quakes, not even counting aftershocks and foreshocks.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: March 14, 2011, 05:08:38 pm »

Maybe the whole plate will just break and peel off the mantle like wallpaper.  That'd be crazy.
Man, I know you're just joking, but as someone with dear friends on that piece of wallpaper, your joke actually bothers me a lot.
We all deal with tragedy in different ways. Sometimes it is better to laugh a bit than it is to cry. I know I tend to joke around at "inappropriate" times on occasion.
Yeah, I think it's a pretty tasteless joke, too.
But since we seem to be totally departing from basic nonsensical passing of new information...
 Ok, I'll give - I really want to know what William Gibson makes of this. When 9/11 happened he was writing the first book of his next series, the fist set in 'this world'. He reworked it around the event, and the result was like preserving the feeling of "just after 9/11" in amber.

Considering what he's done before with a fictional "post quake Japan"*, I want to see what he does with the reality.

*I consider this the "worst case scenario".
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 14, 2011, 05:25:11 pm »

When 9/11 happened [William Gibson] was writing [All Tomorrow's Parties], the fist set in 'this world'. He reworked it around the event, and the result was like preserving the feeling of "just after 9/11" in amber.

IIRC, he was also at least part way into Pattern Recognition, as well.  Not that this is anything to do (more than in a "it's all a Global Village" kind of way) with Japan, and certainly less about the kind of incident this thread is for.  But it's a spark of knowledge that goes with the above.  (Not yet got around to reading ATP, but another spark of probably incorrect knowledge makes me think that one's not contemporary, as your description puts it, but still set in his 'usual' dystopian cyberpunk future universe.)

Erm, yes...  Nothing to do with Japan.  Perhaps I should be bringing in Neal Stephenson's work, instead.  Perhaps either The Diamond Age (although that's more to do with a fractured Chinese element), or The Cryptonomicon (with the longevity of superior Japanese engineering, amongst other things).

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 14, 2011, 05:49:25 pm »

At the moment there are 8672 people staring at this. It's a bit sad.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 14, 2011, 05:53:45 pm »

I'm not really familiar with geiger counters so how bad is it?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 14, 2011, 06:09:32 pm »

Its less then 9000...  I somehow expect more people with nothing useful to do on the interwebs....  spread the word.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: March 14, 2011, 06:13:57 pm »

I'm not really familiar with geiger counters so how bad is it?

About 1/100 of a banana.

EDIT: Explosion at reactor 2 now, so that's 3 for 3...

EDIT: OK, it's a bit more serious than the other two it seems, they believe the explosion was from the containment vessel and not just the outer structure. That will likely cause some radiation leakage.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 06:31:31 pm by olemars »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 14, 2011, 06:31:18 pm »

Anyone seen this yet?

Clearly that cat built the wall from the wrong side.  People think it's only dwarven stupidity, but really it's any fortress controllable race.   Somebody up there is running a cat fortress mod and is currently cussing the thing out.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 14, 2011, 06:38:17 pm »

We got more then that from an emitter in a high school physics classroom.
The lack of power supply is more deadly then the radiation. Temperatures have been getting below zero (Celsius) and without housing, food or power, anybody exposed to the elements is at risk. Further more, flooding often allows for mosquitoes to breed, as well as pathogens found in water supplies, so it wouldn't surprise me if there were some outbreaks over there of something.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: March 14, 2011, 06:44:20 pm »

Ok now we can officially worry about radiation : they have evacuated the technicians, and we could be dealing with a full containment breach.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: March 14, 2011, 06:46:53 pm »

Ok now we can officially worry about radiation : they have evacuated the technicians, and we could be dealing with a full containment breach.
please give me sources damnit.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: March 14, 2011, 06:49:30 pm »

Guardian live blog, as usual.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: March 14, 2011, 06:51:20 pm »

Or watch japanese tv here (simultaneous translation). The translation girl sounds a bit scared now :-\

EDIT: all techs except for 50 volunteers evacuated.

EDIT2: Pressure in containment chamber dropped from 3 atm to 1, indicating that it is opened to air.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 07:31:38 pm by olemars »

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: March 14, 2011, 07:46:31 pm »

We got more [radiation] then that from an emitter in a high school physics classroom.

To be fair, that's a point source that you generally wouldn't hold in your bare hand for long, let alone rub all over your body for hours and hours on end, whereas (I'm assuming) that web-cammed counter (which was getting around 9000 hits[1] when I viewed it earlier) would be measuring the pervading levels in all around, whether from particles in the air[2] or that gentle gamma glow that really enhances the Hulk's complexion and "slows the seven signs of raging"[3].

OTOH, I suspect you might be able to get more than it was indicating by placing it on a granite worktop (doing some quick conversion between units in my head, but probably wrongly, because it's been a while since I looked at granite).

[1] web-type, not ionising particle type.

[2] Must go and look for a current wind-chart for Japan, as all the scary pictures of fall-out I've seen so far seem to suggest a general tendency towards airflow and nucleotides going east from that area (even at short distance, therefore not purely jet-stream height) and not towards any of the significant otherwise unharmed population centres of the country.  But they are scary-type pictures made to scare the merkins off of the 'Merkins, so could be less than accurate.

[3] (C) Reed Richards'n'Merrell Inc.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: March 14, 2011, 10:08:49 pm »

That geiger counter feed is down.

Another reactor caught fire.  Huge radiation leak detected.  People within 20 miles or so are told to stay indoors.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_bi_ge/as_japan_earthquake_nuclear_crisis

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/world/asia/15nuclear.html?_r=1&hp
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 10:13:49 pm by Bouchart »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 54