Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70228 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #390 on: March 14, 2011, 04:01:04 pm »

Construction may not be as busy as you think.

They are still suffering from a housing bubble burst.

The only person I know in Japan is an architect and she has been wanting to change careers because there has been near zero work.

I think there may be a need to construct some new housing after this, don't you? Not to mention roads, raillines, electrical grid, subways, etc....

The other thing that blows my mind is that they continue to have aftershocks that would be notable earthquakes in their own right. Including a 5.2-magnitude tremor less than an hour ago. Have any seismologists commented on the overall stability of the tectonic plates around Japan? I'm assuming that based on the epicenter, this occurred on the Okhotsk-Pacific plate boundary. If the boundary itself is still experiencing a lot of pressure, then what's the possibility of another big quake?

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #391 on: March 14, 2011, 04:05:14 pm »

I am sure there will be construction, but there are a lot of empty homes elsewhere in the country for people to buy/rent at modest prices.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: March 14, 2011, 04:07:30 pm »

Maybe the whole plate will just break and peel off the mantle like wallpaper.  That'd be crazy.
Shoes...

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: March 14, 2011, 04:09:47 pm »

The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: March 14, 2011, 04:10:35 pm »

Maybe the whole plate will just break and peel off the mantle like wallpaper.  That'd be crazy.

See this is the kind of direction and critical thinking I expect from Bay 12. Sigged.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: March 14, 2011, 04:11:30 pm »

I am sure there will be construction, but there are a lot of empty homes elsewhere in the country for people to buy/rent at modest prices.
Japanese people tend to be very rooted to their communities, back several generations, and the tohoku area actually had very little excess housing as it's one of the principle farming regions and the farmland is protected by local statutes.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: March 14, 2011, 04:12:30 pm »

Man, I know you're just joking, but as someone with dear friends on that piece of wallpaper, your joke actually bothers me a lot.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: March 14, 2011, 04:14:21 pm »

Come on. I'm pretty sure that your friends there would think it's crazy too.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: March 14, 2011, 04:18:09 pm »

Anyone seen this yet?
The question is, did they do anything to help to cat?  Or just leave it there?  To eventually starve/dehydrate/tire out?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: March 14, 2011, 04:20:36 pm »

Well the Japan will eventually sink under China but not within our lifespan.

And the nuclear incident is quite serious, even now, the risk of a major breach of containment is serious.
The zone around the central is most likely irradiated, I really don't know how you could pump saltwater directly in and out of the core of several plant without irradiating the environment. Not that they have any choice.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: March 14, 2011, 04:25:32 pm »

Phmcw, we've already gotten reports that the irradiation is minor. Things don't just become radioactive by being exposed to radiation, there has to be a source for it, and the seawater wouldn't pick anything signifigant up from the reactor.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: March 14, 2011, 04:31:32 pm »

Phmcw, we've already gotten reports that the irradiation is minor. Things don't just become radioactive by being exposed to radiation, there has to be a source for it, and the seawater wouldn't pick anything signifigant up from the reactor.
Hes right, quit over reacting (PUN).

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: March 14, 2011, 04:40:26 pm »

Anyone seen this yet?
The question is, did they do anything to help to cat?  Or just leave it there?  To eventually starve/dehydrate/tire out?
The only reason why anyone should lift a finger to get that cat out of that tree is to eat it.

I also agree Cthulu's comment is utterly tasteless. Unlike delicious cats. We should donate a Conex full of kittens to Japan to solve their economic, sanitary, clothing and food problems. Japanese bone crafts, cat soap, cat cloaks, and cat biscuits are what they need for long-term recovery, not stock market speculation.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: March 14, 2011, 04:41:45 pm »

If you had any experience you'd know that government communication have little to no value in this case. Japan is trying to reassure their citizens that's all.
Here's the kind of report I was expecting.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #404 on: March 14, 2011, 04:45:05 pm »

Man, I know you're just joking, but as someone with dear friends on that piece of wallpaper, your joke actually bothers me a lot.

We all deal with tragedy in different ways. Sometimes it is better to laugh a bit than it is to cry. I know I tend to joke around at "inappropriate" times on occasion.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 54