Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70187 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #121 on: March 11, 2011, 05:44:35 pm »

posting to watch

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: March 11, 2011, 05:57:14 pm »

Now coolant systems are failing at a second nuclear power plant, also near Fukushima. A 10km radius around each plant is being evacuated.

Edit: The dangerous reactor mentioned so far is reactor 1 at Fukushima I, plus reactor 2 there has also had issues with coolant. Now reactor 1,2 and 4 at Fukushima II have problems with coolant temperatures getting too high.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:04:22 pm by olemars »

LionSilverWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Shrodinger's Kit
    • View Profile
    • LionWolf Studio
« Reply #123 on: March 11, 2011, 05:58:28 pm »

http://www.cnn.com/video/flashLive/live.html?stream=3

Direct link to the CNN live streaming ala Twitter. Providing numbers and video.
Why is this covered in blood?

Ancre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: March 11, 2011, 06:03:54 pm »

Now coolant systems are failing at a second nuclear power plant, also near Fukushima. A 10km radius around each plant is being evacuated.

Let's hope nuclear reactor failures won't turn into a chain reaction. The quake and the tsunami were impressive but not as much as that kind of news ; I really hope they haven't damaged the nuclear plants too much, that would really be  disaster.

I guess I should go learn more about nuclear plants and safety measures and stuff.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 11, 2011, 06:04:34 pm »

Holy fuck.
This is bad, really bad. Like, world has gone bat shit nuts insane bad.

This thread is the first I have heard of it, and I am some what in shock.

Tylui

• Bay Watcher
  • O_o
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 11, 2011, 06:06:27 pm »

What's America going to do to help Japan? Has anyone said anything about that? Just wondering.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 11, 2011, 06:07:57 pm »

What's America going to do to help Japan? Has anyone said anything about that? Just wondering.

Carrier battle group and several marine ships from Okinawa.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 11, 2011, 06:08:38 pm »

Air Force sent some coolant to the first reactor I hear.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: March 11, 2011, 06:08:56 pm »

I think the Air Force is currently delivering temporary coolant supplies to the first plant. I'm sure the red cross will be on Japan in no time if not already.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: March 11, 2011, 06:12:49 pm »

Wonder how a nearly bankrupt country is ever going to recover from this total mess.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: March 11, 2011, 06:13:21 pm »

I think the Air Force is currently delivering temporary coolant supplies to the first plant. I'm sure the red cross will be on Japan in no time if not already.
Well, the Japanese Red Cross is obviously already there.

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: March 11, 2011, 06:16:04 pm »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42025882/ns/world_news-asiapacific/
Radiation reached around 1,000 times the normal level Saturday in the control room of the No. 1 reactor of the Fukushima nuclear power plant, Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said.
The discovery suggests radioactive steam could spread around the facility operated by Tokyo Electric Power Co., Kyodo news agency reported.
Hrm... Well that isn't good.
1,000 times normal operational level is still probably within safe exposure limit with no side effects. The legal limits are way, way below what a person can absorb safely, actually.

Atomic Rockets on radiation.

edit: I meant also that they'll operate under the limit, which is fairly well below the actual safe limit.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 06:19:22 pm by Darkone »
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: March 11, 2011, 06:29:52 pm »

Let's hope nuclear reactor failures won't turn into a chain reaction. The quake and the tsunami were impressive but not as much as that kind of news ; I really hope they haven't damaged the nuclear plants too much, that would really be  disaster.

I guess I should go learn more about nuclear plants and safety measures and stuff.

I don't know about the ones in Japan but CANDU reactors are designed to shut down as soon as anything outside of predesignated safe zones. And it's all done mechanically so it can't fail due to lack of power.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: March 11, 2011, 06:46:27 pm »

The CANDU reactors operate at much lower temperatures than most reactors though.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 54