Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70209 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #105 on: March 11, 2011, 04:36:40 pm »

Actually, on earth, 9.5 is as high as it gets. The rocks can't store any more potential energy at that point. Larger shakes can only happen outside of techtonics, such as with asteroids.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #106 on: March 11, 2011, 04:40:59 pm »

Well a more nastily placed one then : there is reason why nuclear power-plant are build to avoid any accident letting the core melt at all cost.
In a good emplacement, an accident is as near of impossible as you can get.
But if the earth can simply not be behind your plant, then there is nothing you can do and in Japan a 10 on the Richter's scale is a possibility.

No, seriously, even Chernobyl is mostly recovered. you could put a million people a mile from the site and maybe couple die a decade early from cancer.

Hiroshima and Nagisaki were bigger radiation threats and the Japanese are handling it pretty well.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2011, 04:43:43 pm »

Well a more nastily placed one then : there is reason why nuclear power-plant are build to avoid any accident letting the core melt at all cost.
But if the earth can simply not be behind your plant, then there is nothing you can do and in Japan a 10 on the Richter's scale is a possibility.

No, seriously, even Chernobyl is mostly recovered. you could put a million people a mile from the site and maybe couple die a decade early from cancer.

Hiroshima and Nagisaki were bigger radiation threats and the Japanese are handling it pretty well.

Nope, just plain false : Hirosima and Nagisaki were much lower radiation threat and there is a reason why no one live near Chernobyl.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 11, 2011, 04:46:10 pm »

Theres too much radioisotopes left on the ground still to go back into Chernobyl, background radiation dropped considerably i can say that but you will still have the risk of radiation poisoning from absorption of radioactive materials.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 11, 2011, 04:46:24 pm »

The problem isn't really even the plant itself, so far as I can tell; it's just that the power outage knocked out the cooling system, da?

That doesn't make much sense. The coolant system is 2/3 of a nuclear reactor. The quake damaged the backup power generators, which is impressive considering each reactor is required to have four redundant backups.

Reactor 2 is starting to have coolant issues as well

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 11, 2011, 04:46:42 pm »

Now I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but perhaps someone could come in with some figures, instead of everyone just saying "No, this is worse than that"
Shoes...

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 11, 2011, 04:47:48 pm »

Now I don't mean to be a spoilsport, but perhaps someone could come in with some figures, instead of everyone just saying "No, this is worse than that"
TOO MUCH MATERIAL LEFT FROM CHERNOBYL TO GO BACK STILL

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 11, 2011, 04:50:09 pm »

Hey, they're opening up some areas of it to tourists...

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #113 on: March 11, 2011, 04:53:15 pm »

You do know that there are at least a couple hundred people living there illegally, much to the embarrassment of the Russian government?

Only 1 person had died from cancer as a result of chernobyl as of about 2 years ago.  After the initial die off, native animal populations are unaffected.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 11, 2011, 04:55:38 pm »

Drinking lots of vodka helps.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 11, 2011, 04:56:56 pm »

The problem isn't really even the plant itself, so far as I can tell; it's just that the power outage knocked out the cooling system, da?

That doesn't make much sense. The coolant system is 2/3 of a nuclear reactor. The quake damaged the backup power generators, which is impressive considering each reactor is required to have four redundant backups.

Reactor 2 is starting to have coolant issues as well

Okay, that makes a bit more sense, but the point stands that it's being resolved (if with some radiation leakage) isn't it?

Either way, the point is Japan doesn't really have a lot of options as to whether they build in an earthquake zone because the whole country is an earthquake zone.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 11, 2011, 05:12:54 pm »

This is looking pretty ugly for Japan. I'm not really too worried about the nuclear reactors, but I bet they have quite enough problems with the water that seems to be demolishing everything.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 11, 2011, 05:19:01 pm »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42025882/ns/world_news-asiapacific/
Radiation reached around 1,000 times the normal level Saturday in the control room of the No. 1 reactor of the Fukushima nuclear power plant, Japan's Nuclear and Industrial Safety Agency said.
The discovery suggests radioactive steam could spread around the facility operated by Tokyo Electric Power Co., Kyodo news agency reported.
Hrm... Well that isn't good.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 11, 2011, 05:20:47 pm »

Looking at a live feed from Japan now. They were showing a couple of towns that are completely washed away by tsunami, and apparently they will remain flooded for a while due to the ground in the area having subsided to below sea level.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 11, 2011, 05:35:11 pm »

First I looked at the flood and thought, ok, hat's not that fast, I could easily outrun it. But then I realized, those white spots in the water are friggin' cars!
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 54