Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70042 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #780 on: April 17, 2011, 09:14:44 am »

Looks like that would be an apartment building.  Flats is good and technically correct, but it's not used much.
depends on which dialect of English you're using:
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/block-of-flats
Bah, we all know American English is the only real English. ;)

hahahahah
ahahahhahaha
ahahaha
ahaha
hah
ha
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: April 17, 2011, 10:29:48 am »

"1958 Lituya Bay megatsunami" - from wikipedia

The 1958 Lituya Bay megatsunami occurred on July 9, 1958, in Lituya Bay, Alaska, reaching a height of 524 meters (1,720 feet), 143 meters (470 feet) taller than the roof of the Empire State Building. This was the highest recorded megatsunami, which is defined as a wave reaching more than 100 meters (328 feet) in the deep ocean.

What about walls protecting from this?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: April 17, 2011, 11:17:36 am »

The 1958 Lituya Bay megatsunami occurred on July 9, 1958, in Lituya Bay, Alaska, reaching a height of 524 meters (1,720 feet), 143 meters (470 feet) taller than the roof of the Empire State Building. This was the highest recorded megatsunami, which is defined as a wave reaching more than 100 meters (328 feet) in the deep ocean.

Yeah if that had happened there wouldn't be a Japan left to talk about.  You can't really protect yourself against doomsday.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: April 17, 2011, 12:11:19 pm »

Well, there is a difference between tsunami from earthquake and tsunami from a huge landslide just across the bay.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: April 17, 2011, 03:23:31 pm »

Well, there is a difference between tsunami from earthquake and tsunami from a huge landslide just across the bay.
I'd say proximity and directionality.

An earthquake/tectonic event (excepting in the events of the '2012' film, sheesh) makes a section of seabed shift up/down/round-and-round/whatever, and may spark underwater landslides, but even in coastal waters is going to (in general) cause a relatively small height (say 10s of metres, as recently seen) of total water displacement, across a large area, and what's more that energy gets shoved out in all directions (not equally so, but generally).  Meaning that if it's quite close to a shore, that shore will get almost that amount of wave, but it'll lessen (excepting where it 'refracts' around underwater and shoreline features, constructively building) the further away the wave goes.  Unless it's an extremely in-shore event (in which case the raising/lowering of the landscape will raise/drop the coastal area as well), there'll be dissipation.

If you have, on the other hand, a deep lake with an tall, unstable hillside on one edge, then a landslip (caused by anything, but possibly also an earthquake) might well dump an amount of soil/rock/etc into the lake...  This could represent a significant proportion of the volume of the lake, dumped in at one narrow band at one edge, and you end up with have half a lake jumping out of its bath, Archimedes-like, onto the opposing shore and doing a watery 'Euraka!' dance all over the land on the other side.  There's no actual room for any meaningful dissipation and it's almost all aimed in one direction.  Deep and narrow lake + co-operative geography + huge landslide => 500m wave.

That's skimming over some of the issues, but as a summary it'll probably do.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #785 on: April 18, 2011, 08:14:49 pm »

Looks like that would be an apartment building.  Flats is good and technically correct, but it's not used much.

Pfft, only 30 meters high?  Ever see that documentary on supertsunamis?  Or just about any worldwide disaster movie?  Clearly we need to build the reactors on space elevators.  Only way to be sure.

If we actually get space elevators out of the deal, I am all for this.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: April 18, 2011, 08:22:03 pm »

I'd say proximity and directionality.

An earthquake/tectonic event (excepting in the events of the '2012' film, sheesh) makes a section of seabed shift up/down/round-and-round/whatever, and may spark underwater landslides, but even in coastal waters is going to (in general) cause a relatively small height (say 10s of metres, as recently seen) of total water displacement, across a large area, and what's more that energy gets shoved out in all directions (not equally so, but generally).  Meaning that if it's quite close to a shore, that shore will get almost that amount of wave, but it'll lessen (excepting where it 'refracts' around underwater and shoreline features, constructively building) the further away the wave goes.  Unless it's an extremely in-shore event (in which case the raising/lowering of the landscape will raise/drop the coastal area as well), there'll be dissipation.

If you have, on the other hand, a deep lake with an tall, unstable hillside on one edge, then a landslip (caused by anything, but possibly also an earthquake) might well dump an amount of soil/rock/etc into the lake...  This could represent a significant proportion of the volume of the lake, dumped in at one narrow band at one edge, and you end up with have half a lake jumping out of its bath, Archimedes-like, onto the opposing shore and doing a watery 'Euraka!' dance all over the land on the other side.  There's no actual room for any meaningful dissipation and it's almost all aimed in one direction.  Deep and narrow lake + co-operative geography + huge landslide => 500m wave.

That's skimming over some of the issues, but as a summary it'll probably do.
Basically its displacement and volume expansion vs. energetic waves.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: April 18, 2011, 10:22:29 pm »

Randomly looking at Wikipedia, it seems that tsunami wave height is not necessarily correlated with earthquake size . . . you can get pretty tall tsunamis even from fairly small quakes (at least compared to 9.0 monsters like the Tohoku earthquake).  I am thus changing my recommendation of a higher seawall for the generators to some sort of waterproof, tsunami-resistant building that can be opened after the tsunami has receded (it has to be openable since the generators need air to run, but they don't necessarily need to be running right after the tsunami hits . . . the batteries can hold out for a few hours). 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: April 19, 2011, 04:49:39 pm »

Actually yea now that I think about it that sounds like it would work.  Bunker type building with 2 concrete protected pipes in and out for each generator.  Tsunami warning?  Turn off the generators and pull a lever to close those pipes.  Tsunami's over?  Send somebody to check on the pipes and clear any light debris (or worse case scenario cut a new vent into the damaged pipe.) then reenable the systems.  Hell it could even have ventilation windows in the walls if heat would be an issue.  Push a button?  Wham, those windows close and seal up like a submarine airlock.  Works in DF and don't see why it couldn't work in reality.

P.S. Yes if those systems fail you have a flooded generator room, but everything should probably be able to be made to have redundency.  And it could supplement an already existing wall around many current plants.

That can't cost much more then it costs to build a 10 meter high wall around the whole facility, and those plants cost millions if not billions of dollars surely such a system would be a drop in the bucket.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:56:11 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: June 20, 2011, 11:18:30 pm »

Well, this is terrifying.

Enjoy your necro.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: June 20, 2011, 11:26:39 pm »

Well, this is terrifying.

Enjoy your necro.
Surprised you even brought it back to life but thanks non of the less. From what i understand the current disaster rating for that whole mess is 7 INES with Chernobyl with them.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: June 20, 2011, 11:28:56 pm »

I live in Berkeley, and this is the first data I've seen in months.  Frankly, I feel it's important to bring the info around when I've got it =/
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: June 20, 2011, 11:30:55 pm »

Aye, i been keeping track on the current repairs, units 1 2 and 3 are under meltdown with unit 1 being the hell hole right now with 50% melted fuel chewing successfully through the containment shield.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: June 21, 2011, 01:07:57 am »

"These get stuck in your lungs or GI tract, and they are a constant irritant," he explained, "One cigarette doesn't get you, but over time they do. These [hot particles] can cause cancer, but you can't measure them with a Geiger counter. Clearly people in Fukushima prefecture have breathed in a large amount of these particles. Clearly the upper West Coast of the US has people being affected. That area got hit pretty heavy in April."
O_O  Now that's scary, I live in the Seattle area.  But I haven't heard a peep about radiation around here?

Cuppsworth

• Bay Watcher
  • Cuppy Cuppsworth, Baron of Prague
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: June 21, 2011, 01:11:08 am »

Yeah if that had happened there wouldn't be a Japan left to talk about.  You can't really protect yourself against doomsday.

You can't, maybe.
Cuppsworth has turned into the 'penny pincher'.

After the great trauma of having some one steal one penny from him he has invented a alter ego who stocks the night and fights crime in the city of Gotham Penny-Villa. With his faithful ward buck boy he strikes fear into the hearts of petty criminals everywhere.
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54