Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70092 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2011, 11:34:53 am »

Are there any aid organizations yet?

They are likely waiting for the aftershocks to die down and the tsunamis to settle a bit; wouldn't want the aid organizations to get hit themselves.

Just my assumption. My question is, have the aftershocks died down yet? How long would they usually last for an 8.9?
Geological sense possibly months, the fault will now try to shift into its new position and and many places will be rubbing around still.

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2011, 11:57:07 am »

Didn't read through all 6 pages, so this might've been posted...

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/857869-japan-earthquake-britons-speak-of-terror-as-death-toll-rises

Crazy tsunami video.
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2011, 12:11:28 pm »

Wow that's rough.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2011, 12:30:04 pm »

Are there any aid organizations yet?

They are likely waiting for the aftershocks to die down and the tsunamis to settle a bit; wouldn't want the aid organizations to get hit themselves.

Just my assumption. My question is, have the aftershocks died down yet? How long would they usually last for an 8.9?

There's been 3 5.0 aftershocks the last hour, but it seems to be calmer than it was. You can follow the activity in sorta-realtime with the USGS M1+ google earth thingie. Looks like there were lots of seismic activity the last week at the same spot where the big one went off, including a 7.2 two days ago.

As for aid, Japanese Red Cross is in there, and of course the Japanese Army Defense Forces and emergency services. They know earthquakes, at least they've got that going for them.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 12:32:27 pm by olemars »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2011, 12:40:28 pm »

The Hawaii stream was a wash.

Couple boats got wrecked a little, but nothing real interesting happened.

I also missed the peak, and the Hawaii stream became Obama talking about gas prices.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2011, 01:55:52 pm »

The nuclear reactor problem is still unresolved. The pressure in the reactor core is increasing to dangerous levels, so they are going to do a controlled venting to reduce the pressure. This means there will be a small radioactive leak.

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2011, 02:32:31 pm »

That's... interesting. Why does the tsunami suddenly pick up a bit of steam down at Antarctica? I'm seeing some blotches of red and orange down there.

Could be because of water depth or some other factor like that. Could just be a fluke in the mathematical model.

Wave theory. The waves get smaller as they spread out across open ocean. But west of Chile and north of Antarctica, they've bent around certain landmasses and begun converging in on the same spot. Watch the lines to see this happen. You can see the wave bending around a lot of islands. Those lines all represent the wave front at a particular time.

!!SCIENCE!! jokes just seem distasteful.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2011, 02:38:08 pm »

Any joke seems untasteful to me.
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2011, 02:47:14 pm »

The nuclear reactor problem is still unresolved. The pressure in the reactor core is increasing to dangerous levels, so they are going to do a controlled venting to reduce the pressure. This means there will be a small radioactive leak.

Welp, there goes all hope of building new nuclear power plants for the next fifty years.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2011, 02:51:24 pm »

This means there will be a small radioactive leak.
How small?

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2011, 02:58:48 pm »

There was just a very shallow 6.2 quake right outside the city of Juetso. No reports of damage though.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2011, 03:01:02 pm »

This is the first I'm hearing and seeing of all this (slept in today). Oh my goodness. May God have mercy on all the victims of this. That's an apocalyptic amount of damage. Watching the tidal wave (coming in sets as well which makes it even worse), I was just saying to myself "When will it stop? It just keeps going.".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2011, 03:07:14 pm »

This means there will be a small radioactive leak.
How small?
Probably smaller amount than what the three mile island reactor blew out.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2011, 03:10:25 pm »

Erk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2011, 03:10:46 pm »

I lived in Natori City for two years. Some of these videos are places near where friends live. I cannot believe this is happening.
'River' cancels eat: Food is problematic.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 54