Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70097 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #465 on: March 15, 2011, 03:28:32 pm »

It's impossible for it to reach Chernobyl levels unless they let a huge Hydrogen bubble accumulate and it blows at the same time one of the cores melts through containment.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: March 15, 2011, 03:29:51 pm »

In summary thus far: partial meltdown/possible meltdown in progress at units 1, 2, and 3, explosions at 1 and 3 blew up the outer bits of their facilities, explosion at 2 possibly damaged containment vessel, explosion at 4, not in operation at time of earthquake, damaged spent fuel storage chambers, caught it on fire (since put out), said waste pool may be boiling, putting radioactive vapor into atmosphere, and now 5 and 6 are starting to heat up as attempts to keep them cool are also falling short.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: March 15, 2011, 03:31:38 pm »

Any new photos since these new explosions?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: March 15, 2011, 03:31:55 pm »

That's pretty much what I thought. It seems slightly dishonest to bring Chernobyl up as a comparison when, though they don't mention it, it's no where near as bad. I suppose I'm just splitting hairs but then some of my co workers seem to think it's going to be the same as Chernobyl.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: March 15, 2011, 03:41:31 pm »

Yeah, my psych teacher did some unintentional fearmongering with stating that this event could go Chernobyl on us, among other misconceptions about the event.

Really, the chance of a Chernobyl level event occuring again is virtually zero. That place was a disaster waiting to happen. I'm suprised the damn thing didn't explode when they first turned it on, after I did some research into the plant's dangers.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 03:55:36 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: March 15, 2011, 03:48:57 pm »

Chernobyl was not done well from the start, party because anybody who pointed out any design flaws was 'recalled' into Moscow, and bad things happened. The Japanese wanted these things to work, so put a little more effort in.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Heliman

• Bay Watcher
  • I knew you were coming. Nonetheless, welcome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: March 15, 2011, 04:12:44 pm »

Fuck, If we have a Chernobyl incident, I'm moving to Boston for a few weeks, no questions asked.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: March 15, 2011, 04:15:43 pm »

No need for that (I think) it would be a Chernobyl kind of incident in the amount of radioactivity leaked, not in the spreading aspect. And well, even if the amount of radiation outside the plant is well behind what was in Chernobyl, it would still be a Chernobyl kind of even, because of the breach of containment and all that.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

PenguinOverlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: March 15, 2011, 04:21:58 pm »

It's impossible for it to reach Chernobyl levels unless they let a huge Hydrogen bubble accumulate and it blows at the same time one of the cores melts through containment.
That's what I think, too.
CleverBot: It hurts when you laugh at me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: March 15, 2011, 04:42:56 pm »

This thread is just sounding like the nuclear doom thread now.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: March 15, 2011, 04:43:47 pm »

This thread is just sounding like the nuclear DOOM thread now.
/fixed.

Yeah, it does.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #477 on: March 15, 2011, 04:47:04 pm »

I've heard very convincing statements proving that it is impossible for this to get much worse than three mile island, and I've heard very convincing statements proving that it is likely to be worse than Chernobyl.

The end state of this seems highly uncertain. The best case scenario is that going forward, everything is going to work fine. They'll start cooling the tanks and the reactors and there will be no more leaks. In this case, the total damage will be severe, and the plant will not be used again, but the area around the plant will be fine to use in a few weeks.

Worst case scenario is that they fail to keep a reactor or storage tank cool, the hot fuel breaks containment, and there is some kind of explosion that spreads debris over a wide area, contaminating a region for centuries. Luckily most of that would be the pacific ocean, which just means that part of Japan's most abundant food source would be both poisoned and unpolicable. I'd expect it would be necessary to check all fish caught in the region with a Geiger counter before sale. Yes, your seafood would not only need to be mercury-free and dolphin-safe, but also rad-neutral.

A medium potential is that containment is breached but there is no explosion, merely contaminating the plant and the immediate locale, and the groundwater, and the coastal waters.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: March 15, 2011, 04:49:27 pm »

I haven't heard a whole lot of news about the reactors today.  I don't know whether that's bad or good.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 05:00:21 pm by Bouchart »

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: March 15, 2011, 04:59:28 pm »

Awwww. Dude is so happy to have his dog back.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 54