Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70281 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #330 on: March 13, 2011, 07:21:29 pm »

Anyway what's this about a volcano?  I'm not getting anything about it on the local news, and I would think they would be all over that.
Who cares about volcanoes when we have scary nuclear issues popping up!

To be fair to Duke, a volcano did erupt two days after the quake, but it was not really notable and the worst that happened was that fiery ash got spewed everywhere and some people freaked out and ran away, if I can remember from the article. It was a coincidence probably, as the volcano had previously erupted with much greater force in January. Not as big a deal as the nuclear issue.
The volcano in question(Kirishima) spews dust and other nasties pretty much continously since it went off in January.
Volcano Live has nothing on any major eruptions after the quake:
http://www.volcanolive.com/news.html
Kirishima's last major eruption noted was on January 26th:
http://www.volcanolive.com/kirishima.html
Last noted eruption on the 1st of March:
http://www.volcano.si.edu/world/volcano.cfm?vnum=0802-09=&volpage=weekly

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: March 13, 2011, 07:29:20 pm »

To be fair to Duke, a volcano did erupt two days after the quake, but it was not really notable and the worst that happened was that fiery ash got spewed everywhere and some people freaked out and ran away, if I can remember from the article. It was a coincidence probably, as the volcano had previously erupted with much greater force in January. Not as big a deal as the nuclear issue.
I remember that now.  It was represented in some comedy programme over here by something along the lines of: "There are reports that a lot of people evacuated when it started raining ash...  I don't blame them, I would probably have evacuated too."

Interesting that it's now a case of essentially "Feh!  Volcano, schmolcano....".

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: March 13, 2011, 11:08:49 pm »

The Nikkei is being battered in trading this afternoon, as you might guess.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: March 14, 2011, 12:03:19 am »

Explosion now reported at Unit 3. Same deal as #1; no reactor breach from it.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: March 14, 2011, 03:41:33 am »

The Nikkei is being battered in trading this afternoon, as you might guess.

I'm very much surprised by this. Surprised there is a Nikkei to speak of at all still. Honestly, they were in debt before hand, and this is a hundreds of billions of dollars clean up job.

Invest in steel, iron, wood, copper, what ever building materials you can, they are going to go up.

GamerKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • All hail Urist McNoble and his adamantium socks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: March 14, 2011, 04:51:19 am »

Definitely invest in energy sources other than uranium. If this shit keeps going on at those reactors, the share prices for solar power and fossil fuels will probably go up.
Love is just a chemical. We give it meaning by choice.

Dwarf Fortress : Crimes Against Nature, Man, God, Sanity and Simple Common Sense Simulator.

Dwarf Fortress: Turning men into monsters, and kittens into food since 2006.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: March 14, 2011, 05:15:47 am »

Hydrogen explosion at Fukushima I reactor 3 today, and reactor 2 is failing to cool. I think it's safe to say at this point that this power plant will never run again. Chances are Fukushima II will be closed as well if they had to pump seawater and boric acid through the coolant systems there too (I think I read somewhere that they did).

EDIT: Fuel rods probably not covered by water in reactor 2 now, expect hydrogen explosion.

EDIT2: More before/after shots.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2011, 05:40:44 am by olemars »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: March 14, 2011, 05:44:20 am »

Looks like Mordor. No, seriously.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: March 14, 2011, 06:33:01 am »

Now, to be fair, the plant coped admirably with the catastrophe, barely worsening it. I'm actually comforted b this turn of events, but it show that "completely paranoid" is the way security must go for nuclear power-plant (and that any security fault must be harshly punished).
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: March 14, 2011, 06:41:24 am »

They were completely paranoid, they had like a dozen contingency measures for the worst happening and then something even worse happening on top of that. The only people to blame here are the guys that mixed up the generators and brought ones that couldn't connect to the coolant system. And probably the guys who did the venting without taking into account the Hydrogen buildup, despite it posing no threat to a possible containment breach.

This morning I heard a news report on politicians calling for a  ban on all Nuclear Power development 'till the situation in Japan can be 'studied.' God fucking dammit.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: March 14, 2011, 06:43:09 am »

Oh wow, the news was showing a man searching among the wreckage for he's two cats that he had left behind, holding a bag of cat food. As horrible as all this is, it is hard to not be reminded of certain memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: March 14, 2011, 07:11:52 am »

Anyone else getting the Three Mile Island feeling from this whole thing? People saying "it's under control" right up until the last minute when it's not?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: March 14, 2011, 07:17:43 am »

Various amateur videos from when the tsunami hit. I would not have felt comfortable with my location if I was the first cameraman.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #343 on: March 14, 2011, 07:41:13 am »

Anyone else getting the Three Mile Island feeling from this whole thing? People saying "it's under control" right up until the last minute when it's not?

3 mile island was little more than an over hyped media scare, and it was mostly a media scare because it happened a week or two after the "china syndrome" disaster movie came out.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: March 14, 2011, 07:47:00 am »

3 mile island was little more than an over hyped media scare, and it was mostly a media scare because it happened a week or two after the "china syndrome" disaster movie came out.
Are you joking : it was almost a Chernobyl class incident, and we're still not sure why it hasn't been one.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 54