Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70041 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2011, 06:41:52 am »

Photographs really don't do it justice.  The video footage going around is mindblowing.  It's on a such a scale, that every shot takes a few seconds to really register what you're looking at.  As in, "Holy shit, those white and blue things bobbing in that river are cars, and that river is a farm field."

It's hard to imagine that the real death toll is going to be anywhere near 32 by the time the water is cleared away.  I'm honestly afraid for how the entire country is supposed to recover from devastation like that, when so much of the country's existence is effectively at coast-level.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 06:47:11 am »

Photographs really don't do it justice.  The video footage going around is mindblowing.  It's on a such a scale, that every shot takes a few seconds to really register what you're looking at.  As in, "Holy shit, those white and blue things bobbing in that river are cars, and that river is a farm field."

It's hard to imagine that the real death toll is going to be anywhere near 32 by the time the water is cleared away.  I'm honestly afraid for how the entire country is supposed to recover from devastation like that, when so much of the country's existence is effectively at coast-level.

Not to mention that the fishing industry will likely be completely ruined, along with the agriculture industry - there's a lot of footage of farms being swamped with a wave of debris (and in one case, a burning building on the tsunami wave). Couple that with the likely damage to export industries, and I can't see how Japan is going to feed itself, or pay for imported food.

Also yeah, I think 32 is a long way short of the tragic toll we're going to see here.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2011, 07:12:56 am »

Aqizzar pretty much has it.

When you see those photos, keep in mind that this is going on along what (as far as I can tell) amounts to pretty much the whole northeast coast of Japan, and by "coast" I mean "it goes crazy far inland because of the elevation."

This disaster is going to put Japan in some deep shit. A lot of people are going to die and the economy is going to be hit hard. For a while it'll be all that anyone can do to repair damage, much less get the areas hit economically functional in anywhere near the capacity they once were.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 11, 2011, 07:25:16 am »

There are magnitude 5-7 aftershocks every 10-15 minutes still. The USGS shows a 6.5 one about 45 mins ago just off the northern shoreline. The one that leveled Christchurch NZ was 6.8 or something right? I guess it says something about japanese construction that the quakes don't seem to do much structural damage on their own. Comparatively anyway.

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2011, 07:28:24 am »

Wow. This is pretty f***ed up.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Alexhans

• Bay Watcher
  • This is toodamn shortto write something meaningful
    • View Profile
    • Osteopatia y Neurotonia
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2011, 07:29:13 am »

posting to watch.   Holy shit indeed.  I wanted to murder radio commentators that told the breaking news as if this whole thing was a fun occurrence.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 07:31:15 am by Alexhans »
“Eight years was awesome and I was famous and I was powerful" - George W. Bush.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2011, 07:36:30 am »

The Fukushima nuclear power plant aren't getting their emergency power generator to start up, which means the coolant pumps are offline. That's seriously troubling.

In Miyagi they're missing a whole train.

tehc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2011, 07:52:03 am »

Futaba channel has responded by completely failing to give a shit and instead has focused on identifying a man who picked his nose in a live tv broadcast

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2011, 07:54:34 am »

Futaba channel has responded by completely failing to give a shit and instead has focused on identifying a man who picked his nose in a live tv broadcast
To be fair there is only so much you can say about an event like this and repeat what you know about it. You gotta use whatever news you had cued up somehow.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2011, 08:05:58 am »

« Last Edit: March 11, 2011, 08:18:44 am by Phmcw »
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 11, 2011, 08:08:25 am »

Huh... have friends that were 'lucky' enough to not be in Japan now...

This though... is gonna have some big effects on some things I follow.  =/
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 11, 2011, 08:12:23 am »

Oh hey, I knew I'd see this after I come back from work. I actually saw the first footage on the news before going there.

As I see it, Japan's gonna just go and shut down power plants as the danger increases - remember the nuclear power plants from page one? Shut off precisely fourty minutes after the wave's hit land.

But damn, someone must really favor China out there. I doubt they won't take the chance to become the #2 economic power now, and even if they don't, they will even without trying in about three years. Just think of the rebuild costs.

EDIT: Disregard that. Japan's PM just confirmed a full-on nuclear alert, Onagawa plant in Tokyo is on fire.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 11, 2011, 08:14:00 am »

Waikiki beaches have water pulled back 150 feet.

They even have a live feed.

So yeah, bracing for impact over there.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Qinetix

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 11, 2011, 08:26:27 am »

I have a very strange feeling that somehow... Japan is a bit , or even more .... gah its messed up , somehow this remembers me of haiti, ... hmm
Desu

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 11, 2011, 08:28:17 am »

The most disturbing things are the nuclear power plant(s?) having troubles.

But on other hand, look how Japan is prepared. I will use word barely 50 deaths.

Any other country would already count their dead in hundreds, if not thousands.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 54