Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70267 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #285 on: March 13, 2011, 10:08:14 am »

According to the Times, the explosion occurred when they let in seawater to cool the core. Some hydrogen had formed because of the heat, and it mixed with oxygen in the water or air.  Hydrogen + oxygen = explosion.
No they are not that stupid to mix in straight seawater, they added boric acid to it. Ok guys enough with the worst cause scenario crap, we really don't what can happen, you can have the best protection in the world and would still be screwed anyways. First off if the fuel rods are scrammed then the chances of a critical mass or runaway reaction is slim. Second, the explosion was set off by itself from the cooling vapor turning into hydrogen and hitting its flash point, adding saltwater wouldn't do it.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 13, 2011, 11:42:55 am »

When you leave out the radiation and nuclear crisis, this is what Japan's currently up against. I just hope an aftershock doesn't completely destroy the game companies, because that is what solidifies Japan as a great country in my mind.

Aribar Hunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: March 13, 2011, 11:45:33 am »

« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 08:08:16 pm by Aribar Hunter »

Chaoswizkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Bring on the Chaos
    • View Profile
    • Realms of Kar'Kaish New Site
« Reply #288 on: March 13, 2011, 12:01:56 pm »

Uhh What. The. Fuck.

Well, it seems the US of A holds a grudge for a rather long time. Maybe quiet a few years from now something terrible will happen in the middle east, and nobody will want to help because of 9/11.

No, it's just the idiots in the Bible Belt who are ignorantly patriotic. Unfortunately, what's where I grew up. I just want to go up to some of these people and beat their face in for their ignorance, because they can get so bad that you can't argue with them. It's not that they are religious or patriotic, it's that they're STUPID and religious and patriotic, so they believe they are in the right constantly, and you are therefore wrong because you have a different point of view.

Also, volcano eruption on Kyushu.

OH COME ON!
Administrator of the Realms of Kar'Kaish Project.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 13, 2011, 12:07:17 pm »

Ok, he is right but he assume that the reactor doesn't melt.
Let me explain it clearly : the shape and materials of the reactor is designed so an absence of coolant result in a shutdown, but, the fuel being highly radio-active, it will melt in the absence of coolant.
The problem is : as far as I know, if a significant portion of the fuel melt, it will leak at the bottom of the cuve were nothing stop it from building a critical mass.
That is a big concern, and I see some report warning against this treat apart from that security expert on the radio.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 13, 2011, 12:26:10 pm »

Ok, he is right but he assume that the reactor doesn't melt.
Let me explain it clearly : the shape and materials of the reactor is designed so an absence of coolant result in a shutdown, but, the fuel being highly radio-active, it will melt in the absence of coolant.
The problem is : as far as I know, if a significant portion of the fuel melt, it will leak at the bottom of the cuve were nothing stop it from building a critical mass.
That is a big concern, and I see some report warning against this treat apart from that security expert on the radio.

The problem here is purity; there is simply not enough fissionable Uranium or Plutonium in a small enough are for the neutrons released by each split to split, on average, more than one other atom.

Spoiler: The science behind it (click to show/hide)

Hopefully that was lucid and correct despite me being up five and a half hours later, or three and a half hours earlier, than usual.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: March 13, 2011, 12:37:42 pm »

The problem here is purity; there is simply not enough fissionable Uranium or Plutonium in a small enough are for the neutrons released by each split to split, on average, more than one other atom.

Hopefully that was lucid and correct despite me being up five and a half hours later, or three and a half hours earlier, than usual.

Well that is correct ; now let's add one thing. The water is used both to cool the bar to fuel, to extract the heath for energy production and to slow the neutrons to an energy were they are more likely to interact with U235 core. In the absence of water, the neutron have too much energy and won't interact often enough to maintain chain reaction, but that's assuming that the fuel retain it's shape.
Indeed, if you get more fuel close together you'll make interaction more likely again and chain reaction could resume.
The question is : could the bars of fuel melting get enough liquefied fuel at the bottom of the reactor to get chain reaction running again? And don't ask me I've no idea.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 13, 2011, 12:38:39 pm »

Still, most of the fuel would be 95-96% U236.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #293 on: March 13, 2011, 12:40:32 pm »

Uhh What. The. Fuck.

I was wondering when someone would post this. There are multiple compilations just like this.

I am American, and there's really only one reaction I have to all of this.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'll stop there before it becomes a parody. But it all really makes me want to leave the country permanently.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: March 13, 2011, 01:05:34 pm »

Well that is correct ; now let's add one thing. The water is used both to cool the bar to fuel, to extract the heath for energy production and to slow the neutrons to an energy were they are more likely to interact with U235 core. In the absence of water, the neutron have too much energy and won't interact often enough to maintain chain reaction, but that's assuming that the fuel retain it's shape.
Indeed, if you get more fuel close together you'll make interaction more likely again and chain reaction could resume.
The question is : could the bars of fuel melting get enough liquefied fuel at the bottom of the reactor to get chain reaction running again? And don't ask me I've no idea.

The article was talking about spent bars of fuel, I'm fairly sure there's not enough U-235 left in that to get any respectable reaction going; wikipedia says spent fuel is about 0.83% U-235.

I'm not sure where you arrived at this figure or how it's supposed to affect anything, but Wikipedia, again, says it's more like 0.4% after being depleted and basically nil beforehand.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: March 13, 2011, 01:08:30 pm »

I don't know where you get that number because the amount of U-236 is practically negligible.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: March 13, 2011, 01:10:54 pm »

I don't know where you get that number because the amount of U-236 is practically negligible.
we purify uranium to turn into 236, that percentage your thinking about Darvi is naturally occurring 236.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: March 13, 2011, 01:12:16 pm »

we purify uranium to turn into 236, that percentage your thinking about Darvi is naturally occurring 236.

No, we purify uranium into U-235. U-236 is basically useless.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: March 13, 2011, 01:14:34 pm »

No, we purify uranium into U-235. U-236 is basically useless.
oh wait i should have known that! why are we talking about 236 >:C

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: March 13, 2011, 01:15:14 pm »

Because Sheb.
Blossom of orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 54