Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54

Author Topic: Holy shit Japan....  (Read 70259 times)

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Holy shit Japan....
« Reply #270 on: March 13, 2011, 06:30:13 am »

Wow, I thought Japan was the best country at emergency planning and management, but I just found out something that puts a dent in that impression.

Apparently, japanese power companies aren't operating on a standardized power grid so power plants in some parts of the country are running on 60Hz while others are 50Hz. This means they cannot redistribute power to make up for the shortfall where the power plants have had to shut down.

That's pretty staggering to this engineer's brain.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 13, 2011, 06:32:23 am »

I believe an old programmer saying comes into play here.

"That's the great thing about standards. There are so many to choose from!"

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 13, 2011, 07:46:25 am »

Apparently a partial meltdown is likely to be happening in one of the damaged reactors. Ladies and gentlemen, the World just shit on Japan.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 13, 2011, 07:46:57 am »

Apparently a partial meltdown is likely to be happening in one of the damaged reactors. Ladies and gentlemen, the World just shit on Japan.
And wiped it's rear on the reactor.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 13, 2011, 08:16:01 am »

A meltdown is bad, but not a disaster unless the steel container is melted through (or otherwise punctured). Don't think that has happened yet.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: March 13, 2011, 08:23:48 am »

A meltdown is bad, but not a disaster unless the steel container is melted through (or otherwise punctured). Don't think that has happened yet.
If it does, what will happen? Will it be like a nuclear explosion or a small blast of mass radiation?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: March 13, 2011, 08:26:27 am »

Whaaa?

The core will just melt through the bottom of the container and through the floor. At that point it'll contaminate the water table beneath that general area. There really isn't a threat of an explosion of any sort except from hydrogen from the water used to cool the core.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: March 13, 2011, 08:27:31 am »

You won't get a nuclear explosion in a nuclear power plant. Worst case is a steam explosion that can spread radioactive material, but it will be a mostly local situation.

Fakedit: ninja

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: March 13, 2011, 08:35:19 am »

The core won't explode as nuclear tech has improved since Chernobyl.

But a meltdown could still be disasterous, poisoning the country with hot, piping radiation for months to come.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: March 13, 2011, 09:03:51 am »

Actually, couldn't the melting fuel create a critical mass? I saw it was a concern for some security official.
(I know it's unlikely but in term of nuclear accident, they work with Murphy's law)
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: March 13, 2011, 09:12:27 am »

Well, it seems the US of A holds a grudge for a rather long time. Maybe quiet a few years from now something terrible will happen in the middle east, and nobody will want to help because of 9/11.

Because 'A life for a life' is a rational state of mind and all.
I think the bigger issue is that they may have already received payback in this obscure event called "World War 2".

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: March 13, 2011, 09:15:26 am »

Actually, couldn't the melting fuel create a critical mass? I saw it was a concern for some security official.
(I know it's unlikely but in term of nuclear accident, they work with Murphy's law)
No. This security official is dumb and/or not a security official.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 13, 2011, 09:37:06 am »

Sorry, no. There's basically no way to get a nuclear explosion out of a reactor. Even a steam explosion from boiling coolant can be pretty bad, though. Nuclear reactors accumulate all kinds of incredibly toxic, long-lasting radioactive substances that are bad news if they get spread across the surrounding countryside. That's what happened at Chernobyl. Modern reactors are built sturdier, so they're really hard to actually crack open, but a melting core poisoning the water table isn't exactly a good thing, either.

olemars

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 13, 2011, 09:51:33 am »

A possible radiation alert at another nuclear plant now, the Onagawa facility further along the coast. Not a coolant issue here though, and it's not a full emergency so far.

Also, volcano eruption on Kyushu.

That's what happened at Chernobyl. Modern reactors are built sturdier, so they're really hard to actually crack open, but a melting core poisoning the water table isn't exactly a good thing, either.

The reactor at Fukushima is actually older than the reactor at Chernobyl. Soviet reactor tech was just shitty with regards to safety.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 09:56:27 am by olemars »

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 13, 2011, 10:07:05 am »

Why not, actually, in a complete meltdown of the reactor scenario, why couldn't be a critical mass buildup?
(Not pretending that there could be one, just interested on what are the mechanism avoiding that.)
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 54